New Nor Cal Team circuit?

Andy Lippert

New Nor Cal Team circuit?

Post by Andy Lippert »

$180 + $20 big fish = $200 all in.

95% payback, 5% to the Wounded Warrior Project at EVERY tournament. Open books to see who paid what and got in what options at EVERY tournament. And reciept of payment to the WWP for ALL to see.

Thinking about any combination of the 4(or 5) ---- Oroville, Clear Lake, Folsom, Delta, Shasta, Berryessa, Pedro, Melones.

No off limits.
Everyone is allowed to fish.
Saturday tournaments.
No bitching.

I know there are other particulars like drawing permits, insurance etc. So that will be taken care if I can get enough interest.

Who would be interested? Speak up. Not trying to make money, just trying to offer something fun, cheap, and open to everyone with transparency and a good payback.

Andy Lippert
Gary Dobyns

Re: New Nor Cal Team circuit?

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Good Luck Andy. I don't mean that in a bad way either. I'd like to see a circuit pull it off by traveling to 4 or 5 different bodies of water. Team fishing sucks and one reason is all the one lake regions. But, now our anglers are lazy and will not travel. Honestly, I think your circuit idea will fail badly. Just my gut feeling, but I hope I'm wrong and you succeed with big numbers. I really think if you could get a core group of 25-30 teams following you, it could snow ball into big numbers. Anglers like to fish events with numbers. But how do you get there to start with?

Just my 2 cents. My post sounds kind of shi**y towards your idea and I do not mean it too.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Gary,

No offense taken. I hope you're wrong, too! haha...It seems like there are a few fundamental problems that California tournament (or aspiring tournament) anglers frequently take issue with, some of them being:

1. Crappy payback
2. No transparency
3. Single lake derby "trails"
4. Too expensive
5. Excluded anglers
6. Corrupt company running tournaments

I figured that if someone created a tournament trail that negated these issues, it may become successful, but maybe it's just a shot in the dark. Only time will tell!!

Andy Lippert
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

One other thing you have to address Andy.... Momma says de alabama rig is de debil! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Tuck

Post by Mike Tuck »

If you want numbers just ban the rig and you'll knock it out of the park.

Mike Tuck
Marty

Post by Marty »

Andy, I’m in!!!

Love the idea of 5% going to Wounded Warrior.

Hope some of these top teams come on out.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Starting a circuit is not as easy as it sounds. It takes a bunch of work and dollars up front. Then you have to hope the anglers support. I have been thinking on this since you started this post. I really think it will fail. Again, I hope not!!

Here is an idea, probably crazy one too!!

What if ?? You could get a list going of anglers that will promise to support a travelers circuit with your criteria on 4 or 5 different bodies of water. Then take the list of anglers to a circuit and get them to put it on. They will have to make a few bucks of course, but I think this has a better chance of succeeding than starting a whole new circuit. This will probably fail too, but throwing out ideas.

Too damn bad we don't have an org with and advisory committee....but that's another topic.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Thanks Gents for the feedback, so far....

I understand that it takes money up front, and have thought it over with a few friends, for a while now. I just thought that I'd come on here and see if I could get any feedback.

You've said the word 'fail' numerous times, Gary, and I appreciate that. That word has always made me work harder when people use it toward me.

The issue I have with sending a list of anglers to an existing "company" lies with who I'd be sending that list to. The whole point of this is for the "little man" to start a circuit that is for the angler by the angler with a 95% payback on entry 100% back on big fish and 5% to the Wounder Warrior Project. If we sold the list to a company, and had them put it on, it would defeat the whole purpose of my intention ---Providing a cheap(er) tournament, open to everyone, with an unparalleled payback.

It's time someone take action, and offer an event that is void of everything California tournament bass fisherman have been complaining about, for as long as I can remember.

More feedback is appreciated!!

Andy Lippert
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I'm just being honest with you.

You have some great ideas, but it will be hard to get anglers off the butts. I can tell you both me and Richard love to fish different bodies of water. We would support and bring friends to this. If you get to a point and want outside ideas or advisory committee, I'd throw ideas at you to pick from.
Charles

Post by Charles »

I love the idea and am disappointed that most circuits have gone away from travelling to a variety of lakes. I believe it made me a better angler when i was forced to travel. I think you might be able to get 20+ boats but I agree that I dont see big numbers. People have gotten lazy when they can fish an entire circuit on their "home water". I like the 5% to Wounded Warrior and would participte when work allowed. You have some good support with Gary D. Best of luck.

Charles Gailey
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I'm guessing the biggest obstacle you'll face is the economy.
People just don't have the money to fish more, and to travel more.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

I also love the idea about giving the tournament angler what they really want and being able to fish diffrent bodies of water, definitely has made me a more well rounded fisherman. The downside is the expense that goes along with this, travel time, tackle, gas, etc. Nothing like fishing Shasta or Oroville in the Spring and then following up with Clear Lake or the Delta and having to change everything in your boat. Gary said many of us tournament guys are lazy and he is right and part of that is because they have been allowed to. Really no way around it that I can see, why wouldn't guys want a home lake advantage all the time?

I definitely support your idea, but with all the other circuits: Anglers Choice, Won, FPT, ABA etc, and now BBT I see how this is going to be a challenge.

No matter what view you have of the A-Rig, I think if you can create the first Nor Cal circuit that has "Banned" it, you would definitely get some more looks.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

TIME2PUNCH wrote:I also love the idea about giving the tournament angler what they really want and being able to fish diffrent bodies of water, definitely has made me a more well rounded fisherman. The downside is the expense that goes along with this, travel time, tackle, gas, etc. Nothing like fishing Shasta or Oroville in the Spring and then following up with Clear Lake or the Delta and having to change everything in your boat. Gary said many of us tournament guys are lazy and he is right and part of that is because they have been allowed to. Really no way around it that I can see, why wouldn't guys want a home lake advantage all the time?

I definitely support your idea, but with all the other circuits: Anglers Choice, Won, FPT, ABA etc, and now BBT I see how this is going to be a challenge.

No matter what view you have of the A-Rig, I think if you can create the first Nor Cal circuit that has "Banned" it, you would definitely get some more looks.
Thank you guys for the support, and continued input. I've taken into consideration the fact that people would rather cherry pick local team derbies as opposed to traveling, but this isn't the case for everyone....and what would set us apart is payback, and the fact that everyone is able to fish it. Nobody will be disqualified from fishing based on "status", and with a cheaper entry fee, and unmatched payback percentage, I think we would set ourselves apart from the other Orgs that you've mentioned. We've also got a few other ideas that we'll wait on releasing until this becomes official.

As I said, it is my intent to offer a cheap alternative to the systems that we have now, which are the frequent subject of countless complaints. This, along with a payback aimed at not making anyone any money except the anglers, I would think, would be more attractive than the current options...which are run by companies who have become complacent and not given a sh*t about the anglers concerns, and kept a broken status quo.

The wheels keep turning!!

Andy
Jason_33

Post by Jason_33 »

have a 5 tourny circuit with a championship at the end. 200$ all in per team. must pre pay for all the tournys upfront. 1k for the season.I'm in!
Jason Mcley
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Marty wrote:Andy, I’m in!!!

Love the idea of 5% going to Wounded Warrior.

Hope some of these top teams come on out.
Marty,
I bet all the tournament circuits would see a bump in their attendance if they gave 5% to Wounded Warriors.
Great idea Andy.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Sounds great! Would be even better to limit the number that go to the toc to reward the guys who did good AND supported the circuit.
Bassn45

Post by Bassn45 »

FYI, regarding a multi-lake circuit Vince Harris is running a series this year open to all comers with a $200 Entry fee, I believe he is calling it the Nationwide Pro Team Series:
March 10th Berryessa
May 5th Delta
November 10th Clear Lake
TOC March/April of 2013

Sounds similar to like what you are trying to organize Andy, just an multi-venue option that is out there this year that is open to everybody. It is also spread out over the season so you have the ability to fish other Org's events as well. Picked up a flyer at Fisherman's Warehouse the other day.
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

I would just pay back 100% onsite that day of the event, with no reserve fund, membership, insurance or other fees. Get sponsors ( like Gary ) to kick in the big bucks to run your event and you will have to turn people away. If you don't want to make money doing this take the sponsor money and add it to the payback too.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Bassn45 wrote:FYI, regarding a multi-lake circuit Vince Harris is running a series this year open to all comers with a $200 Entry fee, I believe he is calling it the Nationwide Pro Team Series:
March 10th Berryessa
May 5th Delta
November 10th Clear Lake
TOC March/April of 2013

Sounds similar to like what you are trying to organize Andy, just an multi-venue option that is out there this year that is open to everybody. It is also spread out over the season so you have the ability to fish other Org's events as well. Picked up a flyer at Fisherman's Warehouse the other day.
But Mr. Lippert is trying to create an org with open books and transparency, not the opposite! :D
Marty

Post by Marty »

Bassn45 wrote:FYI, regarding a multi-lake circuit Vince Harris is running a series this year open to all comers with a $200 Entry fee, I believe he is calling it the Nationwide Pro Team Series:
March 10th Berryessa
May 5th Delta
November 10th Clear Lake
TOC March/April of 2013

I heard of the Nationwide Pro Team Series but I was told that they could not get the November 10th at Clear Lake from the DFG.
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

Transparency and a payback that is unbeatable, for all to see, is a major driving force behind what I'm trying to offer. Also, if an angler or team has an issue with giving 5% to the Wounded Warrior Project, I don't want them fishing my tournaments, period. In my mind that's still 100% payback. Giving 9 bucks out of my entry to an organization that may be buying a prosthetic arm or leg for a wounded vet who had one blown off or removed, I think, is MORE than worth it for all involved. JMHO. Thank you all for th input, e-mails and pm's, it's time to make it happen!

Andrew
Rock Douglass

Post by Rock Douglass »

Andy
Your new circuit sounds great, I have been fishing tournaments for over 25 years . I have fished at all levels , Pro/Ams to turkey shoots. I fish em all, You always fish to win, but when you dont win, a check is the next best thing . With your great payback of 95% have you ever thought about paying back 1 in 2 . Thats right ,50% of the field gets a check. Here are the #s for a small 20 boat derby 1st-$1,047 , 2nd $500, 3rd $400, 4th $433 , 5th $270, 6th $245, 7th $240, 8th $240, 9th $225, 10th $200, 1st and 4th place include Big Fish pd at 65 and 35 % IMHO if you did this you would hit a home run. The one lake wonders could still fish and if they won they would still get a nice check, Just not the bulk of the money, This would help to level the playing and put the fun back in team events. Also i agree with Mr. Tuck ban the cali-rig.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Rock Douglass wrote:Andy
Your new circuit sounds great, I have been fishing tournaments for over 25 years . I have fished at all levels , Pro/Ams to turkey shoots. I fish em all, You always fish to win, but when you dont win, a check is the next best thing . With your great payback of 95% have you ever thought about paying back 1 in 2 . Thats right ,50% of the field gets a check. Here are the #s for a small 20 boat derby 1st-$1,047 , 2nd $500, 3rd $400, 4th $433 , 5th $270, 6th $245, 7th $240, 8th $240, 9th $225, 10th $200, 1st and 4th place include Big Fish pd at 65 and 35 % IMHO if you did this you would hit a home run. The one lake wonders could still fish and if they won they would still get a nice check, Just not the bulk of the money, This would help to level the playing and put the fun back in team events. Also i agree with Mr. Tuck ban the cali-rig.
This is just my option but what is wrong with fishing organizations is they really don’t know who their customer are. Most think it is the ones that wins, the person everyone knows, but it is not. The real customer is the guys that don’t win anything.

Sure the ones that win will come back for more but the guys (90% of the field) who don’t win a thing are the ones you want to come back and support the tournament circuit. They are the ones that give you the boat count, but are the ones that go home with their tail tuck between their legs asking why I’m I doing this.

There is a rule in marketing that states 20% of your customers account for 80% of your profits (20/80). That 20% is the 90% that go home with nothing in their pockets.

The 20/80 rule is what I believe tournament circuit have forgotten about or don’t know about. All of the tournament circuit efforts goes into getting someone to sign up for a tournament as if they were a new customer. When in fact you have the customers, the tournament circuit just have to get them back.

Now the 10% that win will not like this because it lower the winnings but doing Rock Douglass’ idea will bring the 90% back. I really believe you can run a tournament circuit without the 10%. In fact this it has already been proven – just look at FPT, RL and BBT. They are going after the 90%. What a Pro circuit needs to do is go after the same 90%.
barse41

Post by barse41 »

+1 Marty. great post. You really are smarter than you look. :wink:
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
Rock Douglass

Post by Rock Douglass »

Marty
Looks like we are both on the same page no one gets rich fishing team events, They are for fun and now could be for a great cause, Freedom Rocks
Ron Stoll

Post by Ron Stoll »

BAN the A-Rig!!!!
CN

Post by CN »

Marty is 100% correct about a small percentage of you're customer's are 80% of your business. I have managed a business here in Monterey for the last 20 year's and I see the number's and was guilty of catering to just them and the business never grew much. Well I decided to treat the small guy's just the same and give them more competitive price's and low and behold the number's went way up.

I showed them my interest in them was just as important as the big hitter's. I love to fish but I am not a competitve type person and Tournament's just dont appeal to me. Just think about how many Bass boat's are in California and you still struggle to get people to come out. I think there is just so many that want to fish Tournament's. I am in Wholesale so I can dictate what price I want to sell at.

Good luck Andy.
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

I can't tell you how much it galls me that I have, after reading some of his political posts, to totally agree with Marty. :D. Him and Rock are dead on.
1990Ranger370

Post by 1990Ranger370 »

I'm in!! Saturdays sound great, hard for me to get Sundays off.
concernedanglers

Post by concernedanglers »

Andy-Positive thoughts bring positive results, glad to see what you are trying to accomplish. Keep up the good work!

The concerned anglers
evan71

Post by evan71 »

Im in. I've got at least 7 other teams in too! Sounds like a great series that needs to get started!