Your own health...

sluggo42

Your own health...

Post by sluggo42 »

As a reminder from the tragic event this past week, how are you?

What I would like to pass on about this horrible event is that heart problems can happen to anyone at anytime. I am now about one month past my own heart attack at the age of 55. I was fortunate to get to the hospital quickly and had a stent inserted to repair a 95% blockage of one of my 3 arteries on my heart. Had I ignored the symptoms and put off going to the hospital, or had I been in a remote location, my fate would have been sealed. I was lucky.

Folks, please take a few minutes to think about your life, and the people in it. When is the last time you got a check-up? Do you smoke? Do you eat red meat 10 times a week? Are you over weight? Is your cholesterol high? Do you have high blood pressure?

Heart disease is the #1 problem, that takes more people from their families than everything else combined, and it can reach out and take you just like that, quite often with little or no warning.

Do something proactive today for yourself. Get a check-up. Have a frozen yogurt instead of ice-cream. Quit smoking. (I used hypnosis about 6 years ago-it worked) Order from the healthy menu. Go for a walk. Become aware of your own heart, and start taking care of it. There is an endless supply of information about heart disease on the internet now-a-days, take a few minutes to educate yourself. Just a few changes can make a difference. Even if not for yourself, do it for your family and loved ones.

Do NOT ignore anything that seems unusual, any of the classic signs. Chest pain or tightness, pain in EITHER arm, neck pain, shoulder pain, shortness of breath, and so on. If you are unsure, just go, call 911, just get there somehow. Time is of the essence.

Don't take life for granted, because it's not a guarantee, it's a gift.
GW

Re: Your own health...

Post by GW »

I am 45 and discovered about 3 weeks ago I had high blood pressure. I got hurt at work and as you know anytime you go to the Dr. they check your blood pressure. It was high, very high. I changed my diet that day. Now 3 weeks later I am darn near normal and down about 8 pounds as a bonus.

If I had not got hurt I still would not even know I had it. Next time your at walgreens or wal mart or somewhere with one of those blood pressure machines take a minute and check it. Your blood pressure alone tells you alot about your health. Don't do it for yourself, do it for your family.
Marty

Post by Marty »

When you do your blood pressure, have them do it in both arms. It tells if something is wrong in the middle – your hart!
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Almost one month without a smoke. After 27 years , yep almost 2/3 of my life battleing the adiction of nicotine finaly found somthing that works. I have tried the patch, nicotine gum , cold turkey end even sunflower seeds and lolypops. I even chewed tabaco thinking if I could just get past the habit of haveing a smoke in my hand than quiting would be easier. Nope, I found myself smokeing and chewing, sometimes at the same time. No Joke ! Nothing could help me with the mad man inside when I craved a smoke. Nobody wanted to be around me becouse I would lash out over any little thing. My wife even told me in the past, Just go smoke so she could stand to be around me.
Chantex , yep , the other little blue pill. Guys Im telling you if there ever was a meracle drug for smokers this is it. Like I said , almost 4 weeks for me. The first week I still had the urge but nothing like the past. Now I rarely think about it and just as calm as ever. I dont know if I really need another month worth of the pills but Im going back to the dr.tuesday for more just to be sure . I refuse to fail again !
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

good job Ron! Stoked to hear that!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
sluggo42

Post by sluggo42 »

Good job Ron, now ifwe can just get the old man to start up on those pills eh Eric?
Marty

Post by Marty »

Ron, did you feel any of the side effects from Chantix?
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Only some crazy dreems. Last night were a couple doozies. I remember one. Some how I ended up in a feeezing body of water hanging on to the bank but couldnt get out. Snow and ice all around. I woke up calling for help. Seems like every night I one or more crazy dreems like this. Thats the only side affect I have so far. Guess thats better than some they warn you about huh ? :?
Dont get me wrong when I tell you its just a matter of takeing a pill and your cured. It still takes some determination on your part but NOTHING like other attemps. I do still get an urge from time to time but thats it , just an urge. My temperment stays calm. I just take a deep breath and think about how much better that feals allready. Marty, if you smoke and are concidering quiting Chantex has givin me and another buddy the best results by far. He also smoked for over 30 years. We both smoked over a pack a day. He hasnt smoked for over 4 months now . I do believe this pill is huge for the guys that want to give up smokeing.
sluggo42

Post by sluggo42 »

I used hypnosis to quit, and it cost me $300. So, after one month I was even. Now, six years later, that puts me about $21.6K ahead...
Marty

Post by Marty »

Ron, I started smoking while I was in Basic Training in 1966 and have tried everything to quite, you name it and I have done it (Nicorette gum and patchs, Group therapy, hypnosis, pin in my ear- acupuncture, and a drug called Zyban). I have been told my problem is that I enjoy smoking and I don’t have the attitude to quite.

But I’m starting to feel the effects of smoking – I’m seriously thinking about it.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

I know, I too enjoyed to smoke. Nothing like that first drag in the morning. You know , the double hitter that burns when inhailed. I just dont want to die laying in bed with oxygen straped to my face and fighting for what might be my last breath. I know I can never ever touch another smoke or this will all be for nothing. Not after a meal, not on my drive to work, not just becouse Im bored , not when partying at the lake this summer with friends and not even when I cant buy a bite on the lake. Not one , ever again.
You can do it when your ready, when you are you gotta try with Chantex. Not a guarantee its for you but after trying everything else, its working for me.
sluggo42

Post by sluggo42 »

It's 90% mental, and the other half is the "trick". Be it pills, the patch, hypnosis, it doesn't matter. When your mind is made up, it's on.
It is a guarentee though, that if your don't quit, it will affect your later years in an ugly way.

But quitting smoking is only one part of taking control of your health. What you eat is HUGE, and can be just as detrimental to your health as smoking. I downloaded an app called Loseit.com. I log EVERYTHING that I eat now. By scanning the bar code of everything it records all the nutritional values, and keeps track of all the key parts. Calories, fats, sodium, cholesterol, and so on. It gets easier and easier as your "library" of foods builds up, and you can see exactly what is happening. I have lost close to 15 lbs in the last 6 weeks now, and am never hungry.
Exercise is the final piece. I know it's hard, but at the least, buy yourself a used treadmill, and park it in a back room, right in front of a big TV. That is the key, because it takes away the boredom, and it's easy to get even half an hour in every day, or at least 4 times a week.

Your heart is the main unit to take care of, and things can go downhill in a New York minute with a lifetime of abuse like I did. If you start taking care of yourself now, perhaps you can avoid the terror of that ride to the hospital, wondering if you are even going to make it there. And let there be no mistaking it, you really do not want to go yet...
Then even after you get through the initial EVENT, you will then begin all of these things anyways, but you will also be in what I'm getting used to calling "the panic zone" , where every little chest pain sends a shiver down your spine making you wonder if it's happening again... That my friends, sucks...

Start today, at least in some way, to take better care of yourself...

dh