Tournament Org's and 1099's

Rick G

Tournament Org's and 1099's

Post by Rick G »

Why is it that some org's send them out and others dont? I know we all are at risk of audits at times, and are responsible if they dont, but it would sure make it easier if they all followed the rules. And if they dont, are they liable? Just asking. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
RipnRog

Re: Tournament Org's and 1099's

Post by RipnRog »

Rick G wrote:Why is it that some org's send them out and others dont? I know we all are at risk of audits at times, and are responsible if they dont, but it would sure make it easier if they all followed the rules. And if they dont, are they liable? Just asking. Rick G.

I am pretty sure you should call the orgs that did not send them out for an answer that isn't just speculation
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

If you win less than $600 total, a 1099 is not required.
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

bryanmc wrote:If you win less than $600 total, a 1099 is not required.
well that explains my problem. :lol: :lol:
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
DL

Post by DL »

Not that I get a lot of 1099's but the only org that follows the tax laws is The Top Stick Tour. Matter of fact, it is the only one that has sent me one since Matt Metroka and I won an ABA FOCL event in 2005. Without calling attention to myself I have asked every org that I won at least $600 from over the last 6 years and NONE have sent me a 1099....

Apparently if you dont win enough for them to write you off they dont worry about you...
"Feel the steel"
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

The only other org that follows the rules is the Fed. I have had many a 1099 from them.
Oh and yes Rick the orgs can get in trouble as well.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
1socalbass

Post by 1socalbass »

Daren Lacher,
Before you make any acquisitions on any legal matters PLEASE get your facts straight! American Bass has reported all income per the IRS regulations each and every year. There are thousands of anglers that can attest to this fact. Any organization that does not submit 1099’s is in direct violation of IRS law!

Slanderous comments are not taken lightly. For you to state on a public forum that we do not follow the law is a very serious acquisition. I have a copy of your 1099 for the 2005 tax year that was mailed to you on 1-25-06. All information was then reported to the IRS on 3-31-06.

The amount of your 1099 for the 2005 tax year was $2,133.00. I am looking directly at the report sent to the IRS while I am typing this response. The report is 11 pages and is single spaced.
If, for some mail issue, you did not receive this 1099 it is your responsibility to report the income that you know you earned on your taxes, I hope you did now that this is public and anyone can see.

Jason Sutherland - ABA Office
American Bass #1 Team Tournament Organization in the West www.americanbass.com, www.americanbass.mobi, Facebook.com/AmericanBass
Sponsors: RangerBoats,Mercury,Daiwa,Optimum Baits,Deps,IMA,Reins,AnglersMarine,Navionics,Lowrance,Ron Speed Jr Adventures
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

Awesome Jason. Glad to see this. I do not want to see any orgs or anglers get in any trouble
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
DL

Post by DL »

1socalbass wrote:Daren Lacher,
Before you make any acquisitions on any legal matters PLEASE get your facts straight! American Bass has reported all income per the IRS regulations each and every year. There are thousands of anglers that can attest to this fact. Any organization that does not submit 1099’s is in direct violation of IRS law!

Slanderous comments are not taken lightly. For you to state on a public forum that we do not follow the law is a very serious acquisition. I have a copy of your 1099 for the 2005 tax year that was mailed to you on 1-25-06. All information was then reported to the IRS on 3-31-06.

The amount of your 1099 for the 2005 tax year was $2,133.00. I am looking directly at the report sent to the IRS while I am typing this response. The report is 11 pages and is single spaced.
If, for some mail issue, you did not receive this 1099 it is your responsibility to report the income that you know you earned on your taxes, I hope you did now that this is public and anyone can see.

Jason Sutherland - ABA Office
Read it again Jason...

The only one that has sent me one since Matt and I won a FOCL in 2005 is the top stick. Maybe I should have been a little more clear in my writing, and I can see how it may be interpreted that I said ABA did not 1099 me...but you did in fact 1099 me for the 2005 season. I should have added the sentence "Other than the Top Stick Tour, ABA is only org that has sent me a 1099 since 2005."

I did not mean to infer ABA does not follow tax laws... For that, I apologize and was not attempting to slander ABA in any way what so ever....
"Feel the steel"
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

National Bass West also sends out ALL 1099's when they are required. IF you make $600 or more you do have to have a 1099.

The way that NBW figures this is if the team makes $1,200 then we split the winnings in half and thus a 1099 for both for $600 each. IF the team were to have made $1,000 then that would be $500 each and then no 1099.

In all it is the organizations responsibility to 1099 the anglers not the director.

Lynne
www.nationalbasswest.com
www.phoenixbassboats.com
www.lastchanceperformancemarine.com
www.thelangerinsuranceteam.com
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

Sorry everyone here can say they do one thing! but in truth the tournament orgs are not getting it done.
i have been hit by the IRS for 2009 and 2010 seasons for not claiming winnings won, hay i am not perfect and i will forget to write down winning,s but the fact is you do report to the IRS and it rolls down back on me.
thats two different orgs in two years, i will not mention names

Thanks Rick this can and will be a problem until they get it right!

Walt Kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
BIG L

Post by BIG L »

I have gotten a 1099 from ABA every year since 1991. I have also got many from WON and NBW. I don’t think I have any from charity tournaments but have written off the entry donations.
Larry Reed Hatched 1944
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

jrbasspro wrote:thats two different orgs in two years, i will not mention names

Walt Kondracki
Come on Walt.. spill the beans, dish the dirt. :D

Things happen, orgs do the best they can. Some better than others. Those that do, stand out and their participation numbers and customer loyalty show it.

As for slanderous comments.... come on now, its the frakin internet. People are allowed to comment and voice their opinion... and yes, sometimes its a little off center or inaccurate info is cited, but that doesn't mean you have to puff out your chest and imply legal recourse (as you put it... acquisition... lol)... Sheesh.

If that were the case, fox news, CNN, or any tabloid, would be in a whirlwind of legal battles.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
1socalbass

Post by 1socalbass »

Darin,
Read it again…
This is your opening sentence:
Not that I get a lot of 1099's but the only org that follows the tax laws is The Top Stick Tour.” You stated that Top Stick, the organization that you work for and are promoting, is the only organization that is not violating Federal Tax Laws. This is a very serious charge against every other organization. I cannot speak for any other organization. I am speaking for American Bass. Accusing American Bass of violating Federal Tax Law is a slanderous statement.
The database that I am checking “only” goes back to 1996. Here are your earning from American Bass from 1996 through 2012. If you would like me to check from 1983 through 1995, let me know, we have the records.
2005: $2,133 You received a 1099 form American Bass
2009: $230
2010: $160
The only year that you received a 1099 from American Bass was 2005. You did not earn the $600 threshold in any other year.

If you have not received a 1099 from an organization, state the name of that organization and do not implicate or slander American Bass in that discussion.

American Bass
American Bass #1 Team Tournament Organization in the West www.americanbass.com, www.americanbass.mobi, Facebook.com/AmericanBass
Sponsors: RangerBoats,Mercury,Daiwa,Optimum Baits,Deps,IMA,Reins,AnglersMarine,Navionics,Lowrance,Ron Speed Jr Adventures
jrbasspro

Post by jrbasspro »

Brian
its not worth it!

there is one org that flat out told me they dont send them out , hows that for tax fun!

walt Kondracki
listen to that gut feeling!!!

"keep it clean and dry"
DL

Post by DL »

1socalbass wrote:Darin,
Read it again…
This is your opening sentence:
Not that I get a lot of 1099's but the only org that follows the tax laws is The Top Stick Tour.” You stated that Top Stick, the organization that you work for and are promoting, is the only organization that is not violating Federal Tax Laws. This is a very serious charge against every other organization. I cannot speak for any other organization. I am speaking for American Bass. Accusing American Bass of violating Federal Tax Law is a slanderous statement.
The database that I am checking “only” goes back to 1996. Here are your earning from American Bass from 1996 through 2012. If you would like me to check from 1983 through 1995, let me know, we have the records.
2005: $2,133 You received a 1099 form American Bass
2009: $230
2010: $160
The only year that you received a 1099 from American Bass was 2005. You did not earn the $600 threshold in any other year.

If you have not received a 1099 from an organization, state the name of that organization and do not implicate or slander American Bass in that discussion.

American Bass
This is rediculous. I told you it was not my intent to imply ABA was violating tax laws. Go ahead ancd check from 1983 through 2012 and let me know what you find out. I'd be curious to see how many ABA events i have fished since the ripe old age of 13 ....
"Feel the steel"
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Maybe the fine folks at WON BASS and A/Choice can come on here and let us know what their policy is. No drama please. Just asking. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DL yer a meanie. Quit pickin on ABA yer gonna send them off in a slanderous tizzy. Bad DL, bad.. :wink:
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Paul Cormany

Post by Paul Cormany »

I have always received a 1099 from every organization I've ever fished. Now, if a local team director isn't giving accurate information to the tournament organization, I could see how that might be a problem. The only team tournaments I've fished in the past 15 years have been ABA so my tax records have always been correct.
Garrettt

Post by Garrettt »

I've always received 1099 forms from ABA
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

From what Bill at WON has told me they 1099 only the Pro-am and US Open money winners. The Team Directors are the ones who issue the 1099's for the winners in each of their regions. Hopefully Hutch will give us all the A/Choice program so we all will know what the policies are for all the Org's that are popular out here in the West, and how you need to reply come tax season. Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Rick,

Yikes, actually it is not the responsibility of the tournament director to issue the 1099's to the anglers in the eyes of the IRS...The company that they work for is responsible and ultimately will have to pay the penalties for not having issued them. Several years ago I spoke in depth with the IRS about the rules and regulations for the requirements for issuing the 1099's. This is one of the reasons why I do them and not have the tournament director. I don't want the fine and penalty for not having them done.
sluggo42

Post by sluggo42 »

I don't know the ins and outs of tax laws by any means,

But it would be nice if you could include entry fees, and subtract them from the total of winnings. That way I would come out behind and not have to pay any tax :lol: