2 stroke vs 4 stroke Ethanol ?

XMAN

2 stroke vs 4 stroke Ethanol ?

Post by XMAN »

..Saw a video on ethanol in gas yesterday..not good as we all know..is a 4 stroke less apt to have problems than a 2 stroke...the mechanics in the video said that ethanol in gas is 80% of the problem when people bring in their motors..guys are having to change their gas filters 4-5 times a year..carbs are being ate up also..and now i hear we may be going to a 12% mix...if so i'm going back to my tube..a new big-man will only cost me a 100 bucks a year....X
Rod Martin

Re: 2 stroke vs 4 stroke Ethanol ?

Post by Rod Martin »

I converted both of my small 4-strokes to propane :D :mrgreen:
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

2 and 4 stroke are equally affected.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kevin wrote:2 and 4 stroke are equally affected.
Kevin,
I understood that the newer motors were okay with 10% ethanol, but are they okay with the 15%?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dwise

Post by dwise »

I put Sta-bil in my gas tank to help with the ethanol and keep my injectors clean. Truthfully, I don't REALLY know if it helps or not.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Mark, anything above 10% will definitely cause issues.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

XMAN wrote:..Saw a video on ethanol in gas yesterday..not good as we all know..is a 4 stroke less apt to have problems than a 2 stroke...the mechanics in the video said that ethanol in gas is 80% of the problem when people bring in their motors..guys are having to change their gas filters 4-5 times a year..carbs are being ate up also..and now i hear we may be going to a 12% mix...if so i'm going back to my tube..a new big-man will only cost me a 100 bucks a year....X
not just the motors, better change your fuel lines to the gray/blue fuel lines made to be more ethoanol resistant before breaking down and screwing up motor filters.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
Mark nicolette

Post by Mark nicolette »

Mercury has addressed this issue many years ago . Anyone can call mercury and ask for the consumer affairs department. From there you can ask the question about alcohol or ethanol.