New crank rod

bayscotter

New crank rod

Post by bayscotter »

Any suggestions? Looking at powell. Delta/Clear lake mostly. Thanks
mahoney

Re: New crank rod

Post by mahoney »

I use the powerll endurance 706 CB for all my shallow cranking, best cranking rod in my opion only $169 with a great warranty.
Last edited by mahoney on Sun May 27, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I would suggest you consider what kind of cranking you want to do, and the size of the cranks you want to throw, when you start shopping.
Pitching shallow running square bills accurately into thick cover and brush takes a shorter, stouter rod while throwing deep diving cranks in open water takes a totally different rod, both in length and action.
Try some friends' rods before you buy.
If you call Dobyns Rods, they will talk to you about what rod works best for you and the kind of cranking you want to do. Then you can take that info and look at which rod fits your needs best.
Other rod manufs. may offer the same over-the-phone advice and service, but I don't know that for certain. Dobyns does.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bayscotter

Post by bayscotter »

Anyone fished the endurance 726cb?
Keith Rakoncza

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

Try giving Dennis at Cal-west custom rods a call. Made me a 7'10 crankin rod for Clearlake that is hands down the best crankin rod I have owned. He can make you anything from 7' to 7'10" and the action you want. He can do any eyes you want and also does spiral rapping of the eyes. Here is the web.

Www.cal-westcustomrods.com
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

Poulson speaks the truth about handling before buying. But if you can get past the pony tail, rod color, the Zen and the fact he won't try and "sell" you, you can buy two of Rick Clunn's Earth Warriors for what you can get one from another rod-maker. And Rick does have some experience with crankbait fishing.
froteur

Post by froteur »

i really, really like my two phenix cranking rods. i have an x10 for the lighter baits and an x13 for the heavier ones.
briansII

Post by briansII »

Keith Rakoncza wrote:Try giving Dennis at Cal-west custom rods a call. Made me a 7'10 crankin rod for Clearlake that is hands down the best crankin rod I have owned. He can make you anything from 7' to 7'10" and the action you want. He can do any eyes you want and also does spiral rapping of the eyes. Here is the web.

http://Www.cal-westcustomrods.com
Ditto what Keith said. I've been using the 7'10" to deep crank, and it's just crazy how good this rod works. Casts a mile, and the spiral wrap guides seems to take some torque off your hands. I know a couple Elites are using them, and they are ordering more. Dennis has a shorter, graphite, cranking rod that's great for shallow cranks/squarebills. Very light, with a super nice action. Besides being great rods, they are built just the way you want, and at a very reasonable/competitive price.

briansII
Legitbritt

Post by Legitbritt »

I just purchased the 726cb(glass) in the Endurance, and the 804cb in the Endurance! Let me tell you something, there is not a better rod on the planet than the Endurance series. I own around 10 of them including the 714 which i use as my heavier jig rod, then the 723 which i use for a senko, or lighter jigs. I have the 705cb is PERFECT for spooks, which is what its designed for, and the 706cb which i use for rattle traps(rippin out of junk, yoyoing, etc) But as for the cranking rod, if youre throwing a deep diving crankbait(Norman,Lucky Craft,Spro Big-John) the 804cb is an ABSOLUTE MACHINE of a rod and is everything you would ever want in a crank stick, and the 726cb is ideal for square bills and most medium diving cranks! You HAVE to check these rods out, im telling you Keith will also take great care of you as well. If you decide to make a purchase which i highly reccomend, tell Keith that Aaron Britt sent you his direction :D Hope you find what youre looking for bud!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

If you're looking for a quality CB rod, go to a dealer and handle them. There are a lot of differences between brands. I have been a Rip bait FREAK forever, I build pretty good CB rods.

If you have questions, give me or Richard a call at the rod shop and we'll try and help.
george

Post by george »

Look up Cal West Custom Rods, You wont be sorry! Dennis will build a cranking rod exactly for your application and out of the best blanks and materials on the market for much less then you will pay for a over the counter rod. His number is 559 683 0668, just give him a call a pick his brain, he builds for some of the big names in the fishing business.

George
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

Dobyns 705CB is the best all around Delta/Clear Lake cranking stick I've thrown. Have the glass 705CB MF version, and think the graphite 705Cb is a better all purpose stick. If you want to throw rip and throw smaller cranks also (Middle Ns, BDS 2s, Little Johns), the 704CB would be a better choice.

Disclaimer: I am part of Dobyns Collegiate program. Other people make great rods also, but this is my opinion of what I believe to be the best cranking rods made for their price point.