2 rods in the delta?

ppickerell

2 rods in the delta?

Post by ppickerell »

Was reading a recent report about a fisherman on the delta that hooked a male, saw the femalre following and hooked her as well and was fighting both. Am I correct in that this would be against the law? IE 2 rods are not legal in the delta correct?
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
jloo283

Re: 2 rods in the delta?

Post by jloo283 »

Description of the 2nd rod validation from DFG site.
"Required for all persons taking fish with two rods or lines in inland waters, except for waters in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may be used."

And "inland waters" includes the delta according to the definitions: 1.53. INLAND WATERS.
Inland waters are all the fresh, brackish and inland saline waters of the state, including lagoons and tidewaters upstream from the mouths of coastal rivers and streams. Inland waters exclude the waters of San Francisco and San Pablo bays downstream from Carquinez Bridge, the tidal portions of rivers and streams flowing into San Francisco and San Pablo Bays, and the waters of Elkhorn Slough, west of Elkhorn Road between Castroville and Watsonville. Also see Section 27.00.

So based on that, it would have been legal as long as the person had the 2nd rod validation.

James
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I had reported 2 rod anglers to DFG Cal-Tip and was informed it was no longer just a lake thing. That one angler with two set rods fishing could very well be legal.

But if you are fishing tournaments, you might want to check the tournament rules vs. what is legal in Ca.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

ppickerell wrote:Was reading a recent report about a fisherman on the delta that hooked a male, saw the femalre following and hooked her as well and was fighting both. Am I correct in that this would be against the law? IE 2 rods are not legal in the delta correct?
Hey Patrick..

They changed that law sometime ago.. all you have to do is buy a two rod stamp.. but in a tournament it is against the rules to fish wih two rods..
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Sorry for stirring the pot guys. First time experiencing a double (total weight was 11 pounds between the two) and could not pass up the awesome opportunity. The female must have been mad at me for disturbing them lol. Like I mentioned in the fishing report wish I had my video camera running at the time, it would have been a cool video showing how I handled the double hook up. The 8 pounder wrapped my line around my trolling motor to start and thought I was going to lose her. I am only a catch/release fisherman so I'm sure they went back to doing there business. :-) Yes, I have a second rod stamp and "No" I do not fish tournaments. No pressure on me to go out and catch big fish all the time lol, just as long as I go out and be consistant with my knowledge and experience. Be safe out there and please remember to wear your life jackets. :wink: