Mounting a new battery Charger

ash
SpeedBump

Mounting a new battery Charger

Post by ash »

OK, so this weekend I will be replacing the onboard charger in my 97 basscat classic. Besides the obvious of dont use longer screws then the OG, what are some precautions I should take to ensure that I dont screw up the transom or get a water in the transom. My thoughts were once I pull the existing charger to Epoxy fill the holes, draw out a template for the new charger, mark it out, pre drill with a drill stop smaller then the screw size, fill hole with silicon, drill in SS screw - run the wiring clean as it is currently ran.

What am i missing guys, what precautions should I take when doing this? Drilling into the boat makes me want to question myself instead of my usual fly by the seat of the pants method
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
eagle123777

Re: Mounting a new battery Charger

Post by eagle123777 »

ash wrote:OK, so this weekend I will be replacing the onboard charger in my 97 basscat classic. Besides the obvious of dont use longer screws then the OG, what are some precautions I should take to ensure that I dont screw up the transom or get a water in the transom. My thoughts were once I pull the existing charger to Epoxy fill the holes, draw out a template for the new charger, mark it out, pre drill with a drill stop smaller then the screw size, fill hole with silicon, drill in SS screw - run the wiring clean as it is currently ran.

What am i missing guys, what precautions should I take when doing this? Drilling into the boat makes me want to question myself instead of my usual fly by the seat of the pants method
is the transom the only place for the charger..if so you have about have it covered....it may be easier just to use painters tape to mark the holes then drill...
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

is your mounting surface on a face where you risk drilling through your hull to the outside? (which is why you would need epoxy to fill old holes?) marine silicone seals great, and is not permanent. you can get away with that in the old holes. epoxy is nasty stuff and permanent. You may be able to get away with using mounting one of the old holes. I would match drill the holes vs making a template. drill your first in a corner, and install the charger with 1 screw (no silicone, dont over torque) . install the diagonal with one 1 (no silicone, dont over torque). drill the remaining two holes. remove the charger and clean area as needed. install. you will not have any alignment issues. have fun
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Yeah in the 97' Basscat the charger is a big mamma jamma and is mounted to the rear transom, there is plenty of room to do this and the plug is on the outside of the boat - the new one is smaller in profile and weight I just wasnt sure if I need to fill the holes or put a silicon into the newly drilled holes to get a water tight seal.
Links to Check Out -
Marty

Post by Marty »

Ash, go to Wal-Mart and buy a plastic cutting board (8 or 9 bucks). Since your old battery charger is larger than the new one you’re installing, cut the plastic cutting board one inch larger than your old changer. Use the same mounting holes as your old changer and install the cut cutting board only to your transom. Once you have a good fit and are happy with it – remove and install your new changer to the cut cutting board but put the bolts from the back side of the cutting board (the side that goes to the next to the transom) and counter sink the head of the bolts and epoxy. Make sure the bolt that extends just enough to secure the new charger. Now reinstall the cutting board on to your transom then install your new charger to the cutting board. Use lock tight on the bolt heads.

This is like the “Stern Saver” used to mount transducer without putting or damaging holes in your boat.
mrbassin0614

Post by mrbassin0614 »

Marty wrote:Ash, go to Wal-Mart and buy a plastic cutting board (8 or 9 bucks). Since your old battery charger is larger than the new one you’re installing, cut the plastic cutting board one inch larger than your old changer. Use the same mounting holes as your old changer and install the cut cutting board only to your transom. Once you have a good fit and are happy with it – remove and install your new changer to the cut cutting board but put the bolts from the back side of the cutting board (the side that goes to the next to the transom) and counter sink the head of the bolts and epoxy. Make sure the bolt that extends just enough to secure the new charger. Now reinstall the cutting board on to your transom then install your new charger to the cutting board. Use lock tight on the bolt heads.

This is like the “Stern Saver” used to mount transducer without putting or damaging holes in your boat.
Bestway to do it!!!!! :D
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Damn Marty that right there is a great IDEA - thank you I like the way you think. Very easy clean and no new holes!
Links to Check Out -
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

Marty wrote:Ash, go to Wal-Mart and buy a plastic cutting board (8 or 9 bucks). Since your old battery charger is larger than the new one you’re installing, cut the plastic cutting board one inch larger than your old changer. Use the same mounting holes as your old changer and install the cut cutting board only to your transom. Once you have a good fit and are happy with it – remove and install your new changer to the cut cutting board but put the bolts from the back side of the cutting board (the side that goes to the next to the transom) and counter sink the head of the bolts and epoxy. Make sure the bolt that extends just enough to secure the new charger. Now reinstall the cutting board on to your transom then install your new charger to the cutting board. Use lock tight on the bolt heads.

+1
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
Brian D.

my advice to you is......

Post by Brian D. »

NOT to do this... :shock:

~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
dwise

Re: my advice to you is......

Post by dwise »