New Dobyns Swimbait rods

civicrr

New Dobyns Swimbait rods

Post by civicrr »

Thought you big swimbait guys might be interested in this YouTube by Mike Long talking about new
Dobyns 867 HSB & 908 Ultra Mag SB.

[you tube]http://youtu.be/tTUWTbouikE[/youtube]

bassdaddy

Re: New Dobyns Swimbait rods

Post by bassdaddy »

I drove to Yuba City and picked up one of each the day after they were made available. It was absolutely worth the drive. Both of these sticks are extremely functional and very different than any swimbait rods I previously owned. I purchased the 908 to match up with a Calcutta TE 401 to throw a Mattlures wake bait that weighs 14.5 ounces. The combination works extremely well for that specific bait, but I have also used it to throw the BaitSmith Magnum and the largest version of the BullShad. Both of those baits weigh in at 10+ ounces and the 908 allows me to throw those baits with extraordinary distances without a gruelling effort.
The 867 has also been absolutely money. I have already thrown close to a dozen different baits with that rod paired with a Curado 301. The baits have ranged from a 3:16 Wake Jr. to an 8 inch ROF 12 Hud and it has casted/retrieved all of them effectively. Without question it is the most versitile swimbait rod I have had my hands on.
These sticks aren't for everyone, but dedicated swimbaiters need to give them a look. It will be well worth your time.
Tree
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Where can I get one? Looks sweet!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

These rods were made at the requests of many die hard big bait chucker’s. They finally wore me down and I built what they needed. Most of these guys are using custom saltwater rods. The 867 is great 8" Huddleston and 9" Osprey rod, but handles much bigger baits well. The 908 is for the crazy guys :D Both these sticks have 16 inch handles, they're balanced, and feel very light for a big stick.

We just got these into stock and sales have been very good. Far better than I had hoped for. Many dealers have them in stock. If they do not, ask them to drop ship you one.

Caution, these are over the length limit (8 feet) for a few organizations that don't realize that it's a far out dated rule.

Thanks for the posts guys.
phishenphool

Post by phishenphool »

bassdaddy wrote:I drove to Yuba City and picked up one of each the day after they were made available. It was absolutely worth the drive. Both of these sticks are extremely functional and very different than any swimbait rods I previously owned. I purchased the 908 to match up with a Calcutta TE 401 to throw a Mattlures wake bait that weighs 14.5 ounces. The combination works extremely well for that specific bait, but I have also used it to throw the BaitSmith Magnum and the largest version of the BullShad. Both of those baits weigh in at 10+ ounces and the 908 allows me to throw those baits with extraordinary distances without a gruelling effort.
The 867 has also been absolutely money. I have already thrown close to a dozen different baits with that rod paired with a Curado 301. The baits have ranged from a 3:16 Wake Jr. to an 8 inch ROF 12 Hud and it has casted/retrieved all of them effectively. Without question it is the most versitile swimbait rod I have had my hands on.
These sticks aren't for everyone, but dedicated swimbaiters need to give them a look. It will be well worth your time.
Tree
Agreed! I got to check the protos out last year and they are amazing.They toss the mag and heavier baits like they weigh very little at all...However, the mag doesnt weigh 10oz...it is between 5.5oz (SS) and 6oz (FS) :wink: :wink: still tiring without the right rod

Gary & Richard,

Y'all have really out done yourselves' once again. Thanks for taking care of the Niche swimbait market :D ...and always providing hands down the best customer service in the fishing industry.

Wes
I work to support my fishing addiction