This is a sad day for California Outdoorsmen!

Caudawg

This is a sad day for California Outdoorsmen!

Post by Caudawg »

California Governor Gerry Brown Signs SB 1221
Gut Shoots Hunters!

Governor Jerry Brown's press release today shows that he signed SB 1221 which will outlaw the hunting of bears and bobcats with dogs and more starting in 2013.
John Caulfield
Big Rock Sports- Territory Sales Manager (Norcal)
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Caudawg

Re: This is a sad day for California Outdoorsmen!

Post by Caudawg »

Bird dogs are next...just watch!
John Caulfield
Freelance Outdoor Writer
TritonTr200

Post by TritonTr200 »

I guess if i trained my cat to flush birds he would outlaw that too.
GW

Post by GW »

he needs to go on election day, Brown loves the special interest groups who like to grease his palm....he just signed a bill to allow driverless cars on our roads too.....seems google is behind it...wonder how much they donated to his fund
Marty

Post by Marty »

I not going to say anything!
Caudawg

Post by Caudawg »

This is from COHA:

Bill to Ban Bear Hunting with Dogs Signed by Governor
SB 1221, legislation that outlaws the use of dogs for hunting bears and bobcats in California, was signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown on the afternoon of September 26th. Easily the most severe anti-hunting legislation ever passed into California law, SB 1221 was sponsored by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), and authored by Senator Ted Lieu (D/28th-Torrance) and Senate President Pro Tempore Darrell Steinberg (D/06th-Sacramento).

In addition to prohibiting the hunting of bears and bobcats with hounds, SB 1221 prohibits "pursuing, running or chasing" any bear or bobcat with any dog at any time. Further, the bill expressly clarifies the Department of Fish and Game's ability to "capture or dispatch" any dog inflicting injury or even threatening to inflict injury on any bear or bobcat at any time.

If you hunt with dogs - or if you hunt at all - the passage of this measure should be of great concern to you. Among other things, arguments in favor of SB 1221 were based on the position that hunting of bears and bobcats with dogs does not represent the "fair chase" of these species. As such, passage of this bill not only prohibits the long-standing tradition of hunting these species with hounds, but sets precedent placing the hunting of pigs, deer, pheasants, quail, ducks and other species with dogs in serious jeopardy.

Because SB 1221 takes effect on January 1, 2013, it will not impact the current 2012 bear season. However, since the bobcat season runs into 2013, hounds will only be allowed for the hunting of bobcats during the portion of the season which falls into 2012.

COHA worked tirelessly with our member organizations - including the California Houndsmen for Conservation, the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, National Wild Turkey Federation, California Waterfowl and California Deer Association - to defeat this measure. COHA is now working with these same organziations on positive poltical actions we can proactively take to offset this tremendous loss of our heritage.

For more information on the passage of this bill, please visit our website at www.outdoorheritage.org

OUR MISSION STATEMENT

The California Outdoor Heritage Alliance (COHA) is a 501(c)4 non-profit political advocacy organization dedicated to the promotion of wildlife conservation and the protection of our hunting heritage. COHA was created to enhance the political effectiveness of hunters and other wildlife conservationists and enthusiasts in the halls of our State Capitol and beyond. For further information on COHA and its member organizations, please visit us at www.outdoorheritage.org
John Caulfield
Freelance Outdoor Writer
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

This is just bologna. (B.S.!)

I don't hunt with dogs right now, but grew up doing so.

:evil:
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Are bears and bobcats good table fare? Last bear I skinned was very gamey
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
npangler

Post by npangler »

what do you mean he has to go come election day ? he never should have been voted in the first place.
just another example of how our government has FAILED !!!!!! definition of a politition CROOK!!
CN

Post by CN »

I quit hunting with hound's years ago but this does suck because it is just one more step to outlawing hunting of any kind. What is so sad is we let most of the Bobcat's and bears go we just loved to listen to the dog's work and being in the outdoor's so un-informed special interest's groups f us again. And no both suck as far as eating that's why we let most go and believe me our dog's were treated better than most humans.

Maybe we should all become un-emloyable nerd's so we can spend 24 hours a day 365 day's a year on one subject until we get our way then move on to the next special interest.