Promote College Bass Fishing!

big bass beckstrom

Promote College Bass Fishing!

Post by big bass beckstrom »

Hey Everyone,

BASS is having a college regional tournament at Clear Lake the weekend of April 6-7 2013. I am a passionate fisherman and a college student. I want to get the word out about college fishing! Many friends and associates have expressed interest in fishing, specifically bass fishing; surely this is a re-occurring theme as we all know how awesome bass fishing is. College is a time when individuals are learning new skills and acquiring new hobbies, it is the perfect time to get involved in fishing. Therefore I feel that it is imperative that college fishing is supported and promoted because involving young people in the sport ensures a bright future for bass fishing, and all of the businesses in the fishing market. What I request, if possible, is for people to inform any of their friends and family who are or will be attending college to look into Bassmaster's College Fishing program. Any college level academic institution: Community colleges, State Universities, and Private Universities are welcome to participate! It is a great way to become involved in the sport, and it presents a way to the classic. All the school's that already have an FLW affiliated club are likely already eligible to participate in the BASS college series. I strongly encourage all the FLW affiliated clubs to participate in BASS as well as FLW because it will mean there will be more events coming out to the west coast. Furthermore, BASS will have the College Regional tournaments filmed by ESPN U which will provide more publicity for the sport and the sponsors who support the collegiate anglers. I spoke with the director of BASS college fishing today and he is hoping for a great turn out at the Clear Lake event so that there will be a strong west coast showing at the national championship. I have attached a BASS article to my post and I would love to help anyone interested in college fishing so PM me if you have any questions! Thank you for your time.

http://www.bassmaster.com/registration- ... ege-series

Tight Lines Everybody
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
GKramer

Re: Promote College Bass Fishing!

Post by GKramer »

Okay. I'll bite. College bass fishing is a promo gimmick for the sake of the organizations selling "college" events to their sponsors. But in doing that, the process actually steals from teams, future pros and other California angling organizations by blocking the pipeline of support (read goods, some limited sponsorships and ad dollars) from the industry down to the existing pool of anglers. That's you! There is no separate budget for you AND a like budget for college fishing. They both bleed the same turnip.

I got in plenty of fundraising opportunities with my own kids when they were collegiate athletes (in real inter-collegiate sports) but it was my resources spent for my kids and their teams. But their playing careers didn't limit the prizes available at any local bass tournament. You want young people to find bass fishing? Don't wait till they're paying off student loans! You're too flipping late.
big bass beckstrom

Thank you for your input Mr. Kramer. I understand that the college programs may have an impact on local tournaments, however I doubt that having one event in a year is going to impact funding to well established California tournament circuits. Also funding is not my concern, participation is. I posted to get the word out about a new opportunity for anybody attending college west of Nebraska, not to compete for advertising or funding. Team tournaments are awesome and I do not want any harm done to them. The college option is more affordable and accessible for students, that is why I support it. Also I am not waiting for them to be paying off student loans, I am trying to get people into the sport right before they have to be paying off student loans so that they have a constructive hobby to dream about and participate in.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

Hey Big Bass Beckstrom, My friends over at Flip in the Bird support the college guys. You may want to connect with them to help spread the word.

Kramer has some good points though, ESPN hasn't proved to be the grass roots org that BASS originated. We all started in this sport with clubs and the Federation events throught Bassmaster, really building the sport. This site was instramental in geting the word out and drawing others in.

A lot has changed in this sport over the past 10 years, most of it not very benificial for the fisherman, a lot of selfishness and greed. It all bright lights and bling now on the big stage....
big bass beckstrom

Awesome thank you very much BS'r one of my buddies from high school is in touch with them too so I will get some contact information from him. I understand that there have been changes, however I still believe that more people participating in bass fishing and more businesses related to bass fishing will be better for the sport. Thanks again for the advice to contact the guys at Flip in the Bird.
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
afchris

Post by afchris »

College fishing ROCKS!

Don't let these old timer's :wink: get you guy's down. Fact is....the FLW and BASS trail are attracting a lot of young COMPETITIVE anglers. I'm no native of California, in my home state, Illinois bass fishing is actually a high school sport. Most the major universities (including my Alma mater SIUC) have college fishing teams.
Every other professional sport has a major presence in the NCAA. So what's the big who-ha about fishing finally finding its niche there? I think its awesome exposure for young anglers both recreationally and competitively. What more could sponsors or anyone in the fishing business ask for? More interest in the sport is a good thing.
The future pro’s…..are the men and women who are participating in these events. I strongly disagree with the statement that these anglers are not “real collegiate” athletes. If that’s the truth….then the pro’s are not athletes either.
I really enjoyed fishing in college. Best time of my life…I wish I was still in your shoes Beckstrom. You guys have a blast out there. Are you guy’s looking for boats this year for the anglers?

Chris
Air Force Chris

My good friend chasing his dream....
[u]http://teampartak.webs.com/[/u]
big bass beckstrom

Hey Chris thank you for your positive attitude and your service! It is nice to know there are people like you out there who support college fishing. It is still a growing sport in California colleges, and there are many more schools that can get involved with college fishing. They just need to be introduced to it. I am not sure about the boat situation and your offer is very kind. I am still trying to get a BASS club started at my school at the moment so I do not have all the info on the boat situation for the tournament.

Tight Lines
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com