Replacing steering cable on Champion boat

Ralph

Replacing steering cable on Champion boat

Post by Ralph »

I'm replacing my steering cable on my boat and I got it off (kind of a b@#%h too). The cable is now in "extended" mode and is a total of 13 ft. When I order the new one, does it need to be in the "closed" steering position meaning not extended. If it's closed, it's probably 12'. Does anyone have any experience with this. I saw the video on YT, but it doesn't show how he ordered the new cable. This cable was really bad and steering was horrible, a lot of gunk up in the sleeve. I want to get it right the first time. Also, what is the easiest way to replace it? The motor in "straight" position or turned to the right, or left?
Any and all info. greatly appreciated! :D
cruizer

Re: Replacing steering cable on Champion boat

Post by cruizer »

Ralph I replaced my cables on my 96 Champion w/200 EFI it has rack and pinion steering. if your mechaniclly inclined it's easy. First disconnect cable from motor. Second tie,tape,hook or whatever a piece of rope to the end you took off the motor. Disconnect cable from steering box. Pull cable out. Make sure you have plenty of rope cause the rope is what you use to feed your new cable thru side of your boat to back of motor. Read the writing on your old cable and hopefully theres a cable # on there. Google the cable # to find whosells cheaper. I saved myself a couple of $100 doing this. Hopefully you don't have to float your motor. For any other ?'s check out (YOUTUBE) I saw lots of video info on there . GOOD LUCK
dwise

Post by dwise »

He already took it off so unless he tied a rope to it like you suggested....
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm having Stanton Marine put it back on with the new helm gear and stuff and actually for a very reasonable price too with a great turnaround time like 2 days. I will be amazed with what it will actually feel like to steer a boat with no wrestling :D It was that bad!
B.O.A.T. stands for.....
Break Out Another Thousand
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

UPDATE: My boat was completed by Stanton Marine the same day I took it in and works like a charm! I've never had the steering work this smooth before so it's a new feeling for me with a new steering wheel too!.
Just want to say Stanton is a little shop that needs the local work to help them stay afloat. Like I said, They gave me a great price, great turnaround time (same day), and they're local. So, if you can please help them out if you need something done with your boat. Thanks!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Where are they located now?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Ralph,

I have a '95 Champion and my steering is really tight also, and I have thought of replacing/or getting it serviced. Stanton is in Ventura? I am interested in how much you paid and where they are located? Thanks. Hydrolic steering is on my wish list, but I dout if Santa will bring me it...
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
dwise

Post by dwise »

I thought they closed their doors last year? Did someone buy it?
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

dar and mark, i was told they just lost there lease, and were moving to another location.. but it sounds like there back in business.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

kane-o wrote:dar and mark, i was told they just lost there lease, and were moving to another location.. but it sounds like there back in business.
Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

They're on Stanley Avenue, off Hiway 33 on the way towards Casitas from the 101.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

PM me and I'll give you the price they gave me. They charge $100.00 hr, took 2 hrs, but the convenience and turnaround was the kicker for me. He gave me a break on the steering wheel too.