trailer tires. bias vs radial

bustout

trailer tires. bias vs radial

Post by bustout »

which is best for towing a tandem axle boat trailer?

can you run bias on 1 axle and radial on the other?
Marty

Re: trailer tires. bias vs radial

Post by Marty »

I don’t have tandem but I did change out my bias tires with radial and the differences is real noticeable. With the bias I would look in the real view and see my boat jump up with every little bump. With radials the jumping has stopped. Also the trailer seem to tract better. One last thing – it only cost about $5 more per tire for radials.
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

You can use either as long as they meet the load requirement of your boat fully loaded.

Bias due tend to hop more.

Radial will be a much better ride.

I recommend replacing trailer tires every 2 years regardless of tread worn.

These tires are all made in china now. even Goodyears.

Been in the Tire industry now over 20 years!
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I am no expert in tires , but did just replace a set on my single axle for the second time .
I stayed with Bias ply . The tires had less than 5K miles but were almost 6 years old .
I had read that regardless of miles , replace them every 5 years . The interesting thing was how they wore
differently . One looked slightly worn , the other looked really bad ---uneven wear , cupping etc..
I talked with the guy at the shop, he said that all trailers made don't track well. Causes tires to wear uneven .
Darn glad I switched them out . If I had gone by the way they "looked" I am sure I would have had a blowout
on the road.
Tight lines ,
Robb
whazup

Post by whazup »

calfisher71 wrote:You can use either as long as they meet the load requirement of your boat fully loaded.

Bias due tend to hop more.

Radial will be a much better ride.

I recommend replacing trailer tires every 2 years regardless of tread worn.

These tires are all made in china now. even Goodyears.

Been in the Tire industry now over 20 years!
Given that all tires are "made in China", and given your experience, what trailer tire would you recommend? I am looking hard at a set of Carlisle.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
calfisher71

Post by calfisher71 »

we sell alot of carlisle, some people love them and some people dont have good luck with them.

Tow-Master seems to hold up the best for a tire made in china.

I have a dealer in angels camp and all his ranch customers and Boat owner customers are having the best luck with this brand.

I have hi-runs they are doing well, but in 2 years I yank them off.

No fun getting separations in route to a event.
Fishing creates memories for a life time.
www.rbbassfishing.net
#RBASS
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Why do trailer tire separate, but car and truck tires don't?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
FISHIN

Post by FISHIN »

Goodyear HMG 2020 is the best tire I have tried. It is the tire UHaul uses on there trailers. Americas Tire got them for me and I could not be any happier.
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Used to work for an RV co. Was told that with trailers bias ply tire stood up better against scuffing that occurs when trailers with out shocks bounce up and down on the road. I think scuffing is side ways movement that stresses the sidewall of the tire. Since then the tire companies have come out with "trailer radials" that I think is to overcome this problem. Personally, I think the bouncing up and down without shocks is the main problem, made worse by low tire pressure, regardless the tpe of tire.
There She Is!!!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Delaney wrote:Used to work for an RV co. Was told that with trailers bias ply tire stood up better against scuffing that occurs when trailers with out shocks bounce up and down on the road. I think scuffing is side ways movement that stresses the sidewall of the tire. Since then the tire companies have come out with "trailer radials" that I think is to overcome this problem. Personally, I think the bouncing up and down without shocks is the main problem, made worse by low tire pressure, regardless the tpe of tire.
Thanks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY