How would you feal if you had a 17 year old co-angler

fishin4life

How would you feal if you had a 17 year old co-angler

Post by fishin4life »

just wondering how you guys would feal about that? Sence the FLW allows a person to be as young as 16
Bassn45

Re: How would you feal if you had a 17 year old co-angler

Post by Bassn45 »

Fishn4life,
Maybe you should ask the 3 Pro Anglers that Travis Bounds fished with last year at Clear Lake, when he won the event as a Co-Angler at the age of 17. I think it all depends on the Co-angler, but most 17 year olds who would pony up the entry fee for an FLW probably know their way around a bass boat.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

No different than being a co-angler drawing a 65 year old.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

I think it would be awesome. More than likely he will be a very good fisherman to want into an FLW event at age 17. Most kids that age would probably be easy to fish with ...and I think it's great to see kids wanting into tournaments. It gives our sport, new blood. I'd be happy to draw a 17 year old!

I have plenty of good stories of Richard Dobyns and his fishing partner James Avalos....fishing shared weight Pro ams many years younger than 17. The best one was an angler not happy about drawing James Avalos at about 14 years old. He was griping and asked me if that "kid" could fish....my reply was...the better question ..CAN YOU NET :D :D Well at days end, I asked the Pro..How did it go? he said, that kid can fish!! The Pro got his a$$ handed to him :D :D

I have many fond memories of stories from Richard's early Pro partners. Not once did I ever hear that he couldn't fish, net, or run the boat. He was fishing am at 12. Different world today and it wouldn't be allowed...BUT I'm all for getting kids on the water!
fishin4life

Post by fishin4life »

thanks guys ill be 17 by the time of the Delta and Clear Lake FLW Everstart and im realy thinkin about doing at least one! I was just a little apprehinsive about how guys would feal about drawing a me. Thanks guys!!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Arron Martins, Gary Klien, Ryan Habernack, somethin somethin Dobyns, Travis Bounds, list is long - I fish the pro teen and let me tell you there are teens out there that throw down and understand this bass fishing more then a bunch of "pros" i know. I would not have a problem fishing with a 16 yr old or a 16 yr old girl - they are in it to win it and that passion is contagious!
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
biteme

Post by biteme »

I know a lot of young guys that can flat out fish! They have more energy then Ill ever have,lol. I see no problem with it heck it might even be a advantage! Maybe they will be willing to learn something. A tip from a older guy goes a long way! I learned that today. Thanks Tom!!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="fishin4life"]thanks guys ill be 17 by the time of the Delta and Clear Lake FLW Everstart and im realy thinkin about doing at least one! I was just a little apprehinsive about how guys would feal about drawing a me. Thanks guys!![/quote]

Don't forget to bring your Pro some chocolate donuts and you'll do good!! :D :D Don't worry about it. Sign up and go fishing. I hope to draw you...
Last edited by Gary Dobyns on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NitroSport

Post by NitroSport »

Age doesn't mean a thing. I know some 10-16 year-olds who are much more respectful and would be more of a pleasure to have on the boat all day than a lot of 18-70 year olds out there, and I've heard plenty of painful stories from pros who've had to share their boat with miserable co-anglers of all ages.
FLW particularly, but in general I would think it is much more important how you carry yourself, treat the pro's boat & interact with them on the water. Since it's not shared weight the pro shouldn't care too much if you're not the next KVD as long as you use your common sense & courtesy out there & don't go casting over em & that junk. Just show up prepared with the right amount of gear, some cash to split expenses (or at least to offer), and the RIGHT ATTITUDE and no one will care how old you are...heck they'll probably tell people about the great kid they had out there who's gonna be scary when he moves to the pointy end some day. You'll be amazed how much you can learn out there even in a non-shared weight event when everyone just acts right.
kb

Post by kb »

Heck I will take them both days of the FLW at Oroville or anywhere else.....not a problem one with drawing a 17 year old....if he or she isn't comfortable backing the boat I can find about 120 friends in the parking lot that would be happy to help me launch......I agree with Gary D 100% not a problem at all to draw the next generation!!!!!

kb

Don't even let the age thing deter you from signing up you young anglers will have a great experience.......
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I fished with Andrew Loberg a couple of years back at Clear Lake. He was 16 or 17 I think. He was very respectful, helped out and yes...he can FISH! He represents what kids should be like as a coangler :). He has done very well in FLW as well as the California Bass Federation and other events. He was doing well in school and fishing to stay out of trouble.

Fishin4life, I would encourage you to go for it. I would also suggest checking out the California Bass Federation (http://www.californiabass.org). It is cheap, great way to meet people and you have a shot at making the Forrest Wood Cup. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a ring...I am the President :).

If you are fortunate to be able to go to college, see if your school has a bass club. The FLW College Fishing program will be going in 2013 as well.

Best of luck...
Last edited by scottsweet on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
fishin4life

Post by fishin4life »

Thanks guys :D
dtacker

Post by dtacker »

I say go for it. If you're nervous about backing down a boat, or doing anything for your pro, just let them know beforehand so they can make the adjustment. A little consideration will take you a long ways as a young angler (and young man for that matter). Just go have fun and fish hard.
If there's anything you are nervous about or have questions about, feel free to send me a pm or email I'd be happy to try to help out. Not too long ago I was a young angler myself!!!
Good luck,
Dustin Tacker
Nunyo Bizness

Post by Nunyo Bizness »

Look dude, we all had to start somewhere. As everyone of these guys has said. Speak up if you feel weak in an area (backing the boat etc...) relax and learn. Watch what your Pro is doing and learn, but most of all have fun. When your having fun, your more relaxed. The more relaxed you are, the better you fish and the better you fish the more fun you will have.....and as far as you being 17. To most people here, your age doesn't matter much....DO YOU LOVE TO FISH? Put that person on my boat every time, we will learn together. Have a blast and good luck.

Yoz
I came , I saw, I Cleaned and Dried.
Robchik

Post by Robchik »

What I would like to know is how a 16-17 year old would feel hoping to draw one of the west's best... and gets landed with me ? :lol:

In all seriousness, just communicate with your pro and respect what they are trying to do. Oroville is a great place to fish non-boater because of how much water there is to fish. Not like the Delta or Clear Lake where targets play a key role. You can drag a worm/jig all day at oroville and get bit.

Should be loads of fun!
http://www.robchik.com
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

fishin4life wrote:just wondering how you guys would feal about that? Sence the FLW allows a person to be as young as 16
If she's cute and can run the TM I say go for it. (Oh crap, dirty old man alert) :lol:
- Wolfeman (is it Friday yet?)
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Follow yer dreams buddy! It doesn't matter one bit what anyone else thinks or feals, it's about what YOU want ta do! The rules say you can start that dream at 16, go for it with a vengance, and let any worries a guy might have with age, be THEIR problem, not yours!
scott h

Post by scott h »

It is not a problem at all, sign up and fish! Like mentioned above if you can not or dont feel comfortable backing up a boat or whatever it may be speak up, I have had adults tell me they are not comfortable backing the boat down and it is a simple adjustment, problem solved.
I boat for the delta teen teams and they ask me all the time if they are ready to fish am in a pro am and let me tell you these kids can fish! My son (13) is begging me all the time to fish pro/ams while i feel he is a good enuf stick to fish and catch fish I want him to wait just a bit longer, he can drive the boat safely runs t-motor good and i dunk him at the ramp and he can dock it just fine but we are working what to do in an emergency situation no matter what boat he is on, teaching him to pay attention on where he is how we got there, getting emergency numbers for the body of water and first aid.
I can not wait until my kid can travel and fish tourneys with me! So go fishing bud and soak it up! We need more young guys to jump in and fish, I would have no problem drawing a youth the enthusiasm is awesome! Tight lines.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Mike Reidy

Post by Mike Reidy »

I absolutely encourage you to enter. You will meet anglers with the same passion as yourself. Most pro's will be more than willing to share their knowledge and answer any questions. Heck, maybe you will expose them to some new ideas. At the very least you will make some new friends and enjoy some life long memories I assure you that if you draw Kent, Gary, and many others you will learn alot more than just how to fish. I am speaking from experience. Get out there and enjoy!!
myrtle

Post by myrtle »

Age is just a number!