MERCURY 250 PRO FOUR STROKE VERADO?

trailersource

MERCURY 250 PRO FOUR STROKE VERADO?

Post by trailersource »

Wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with this engine since it was revamped by Mercury? Thinking about one, just wonder how many of you have actual experience with new Verado and if you would or would not recommmend it on a bass boat. Noticed Roumbanis promotes it, but wondering if there are any advantages over the Pro XS and how the performance is. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Tony Lain

Re: MERCURY 250 PRO FOUR STROKE VERADO?

Post by Tony Lain »

I have had both, 250 Pro XS and 250 Verado, and loved both. I currently run a new Ranger Z520c with 250 Pro XS. This set up is the fastest boat I have had to date (+73 all day, every day), with good hole shot and great handling. Awesome tournament boat and engine combo. One team partner has a new Z521 with a 250 Verado and it is bad ***. Still a 70mph rig! Best hole shot ever, quiet, digital, and smooth-smooth. If planning on Hydro jack plate, then go Pro XS (Verado more weight). Mercury web site had great videos and comparisons of both. Best of luck!
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel »

I had a 275 Verado and loved it. Great performance. I now have a 300 Verado with about a 100 hours and love this one too. The 275 was quite, the new 300 you can't even hear it. Both motors performed extremely well and I bought the recent (2012 model year) because my last Verado was so reliable. I just had my first routine service done and the electronic record printed out was perfect.

Dan Daniel
Delta Bass Club
trailersource

Post by trailersource »

Thanks for feedback. Tony, did you noticed much of a difference fuel efficiency wise between the Pro Verado and Pro XS? Seems like the Verado often gets nailed for being a gas guzzler, but word is with the Pro Verado it's has very little difference from the Pro XS. I'm just trying to figure out why the Verado hasn't taken off more the last few years. Pricing isn't significantly different either. John Murray has run one the last couple years and says he'll never get a 2 stroke again if he doesn't have to. Getting an oil change every 100 hrs seems a lot more convenient than dumping in oil every trip.
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

I had the 1st gen 06 Verado 250 on an offshore rig for 2 years, with issues of 1st gen worked out to be 2nd gen, so it was basically a 2nd gen. Great bullet proof engine, great for off-shore slow trolling and low end power, a range of well designed electronic controls that accommodate multiple engine setup really well (for those that need to).

I did typical maintenance myself so its in-line 6 (as opposed to V6 on optis) made spark plug changes such a breeze!!! Parts seem to be much more expensive than optis. At $27/gal bulk price for opti oil, yes, you do save some some money on Verado as oil is changed once a year. On high end especially WOT, it consumes much more gas, that is true but most aren't run at WOT off shore. I'd love to get one if I ever get into offshore fishing again.

For being such great engines, I think the reasons why the Verados aren't as mainstream on bass boats are that they're much heavier and their high end torque just can't rival optis (2 vs 4 strokes in general I guess). A 250 Verado weighs over 700lbs including electro hydro steering setup, much heavier than a comparable opti. Verados came out around 2004 as pre 1st gens that had all kinds of issues that made people skeptical due to much more complex technologies involved. They've really taken off since these issues were fixed, though mostly on off-shore boats in the East coast, not so much down here, not certainly on bass boats.

When I sold the boat, most people who looked at it didn't know much about them. Some were even put-off by it!!! A few were really intrigued when they experienced the ride and all the cool electronic controls. Eventually, someone with some knowledge of if ended up buying it.

Here's a site dedicated to Verados, you'll find lots of hands-on experience and various pros and cons. http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php
green weenie

Post by green weenie »

Sorry to highjack the thread but What prop are you running with the verados. A 27 trophy plus seems to be causing a lag in the holeshot in my dad's basscat. Thoughts?
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Best I found on the 210 Champion and Ranger Z521 was a Bravo 2, 25 pitch (I also went with Labbed finish).
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

Most enjoyable motor I have ever run.
Power steering, Fly by wire controls that are supper user friendly, The option of either hot foot or hand throttle with the touch of a button.Smooth and quite, no oil.
Only knock is you need to run mid grade or premium fuels.
Jim
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats