How To Clear Your Deck

cruizer

How To Clear Your Deck

Post by cruizer »

I have a 96 Champion 19' DC. The front deck is narrow. Strapping my rods on the deck caused me to step on them and also could'nt open locker doors without unstrapping rods and moving them. So I came up with an inexspensive solution. First I used 2" black plumbing pipe to slide and hold the butts of rods. They are 12"-14" long with caps on them. Use a holesclaw to cut holes so butts slide thru. Just screw(2) them to your deck. For the tips use Berkley's Rod Wall Mount. They are cheap $15 at Walmart. There's 2 in a box. Cut the mounts so you have 3 slits for your rods (see pic). At Home Depot buy metal (bracket) straps $2.50 each 12" long. Use a vise and a hammer to help you bend them. Screw the mounts to (bracket) straps with 2 screws. You can use holes that are already in straps just have to drill mounts. Primer and paint your (bracket) straps. Screw them to you deck. Did it all for around $50. Time to go fishing and enjoy the freedom on your front deck.
Can see how I cut wall mounts so I have 3 slits for rod tips. Screw mounts to brackets. Use holes already pre drilled in brackets just drill monts to match up to them.
Can see how I cut wall mounts so I have 3 slits for rod tips. Screw mounts to brackets. Use holes already pre drilled in brackets just drill monts to match up to them.
CIMG1833.JPG (160.87 KiB) Viewed 2191 times
Attachments
Straps are bent to make a bracket.
Straps are bent to make a bracket.
CIMG1832.JPG (180.78 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Can see how butts slide thru black pipe and tips mount. Nice clear deck. Can open locker doos anytime.
Can see how butts slide thru black pipe and tips mount. Nice clear deck. Can open locker doos anytime.
CIMG1834.JPG (165.12 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Jim Wilson

Re: How To Clear Your Deck

Post by Jim Wilson »

Good idea but might get in the way while landing a fish.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

interesting idea, just don't ever step, fall, or put something on them cause they are definitely going to break now.
stepping on them while laying on the deck, is not good for them, but it doesn't really break them unless you REALLY step down on them. having them up in the air and supported only at the ends is a sure fire way to have them break should you do that. I just know for myself, I would just step, kneel, or otherwise trip and fall on them, then there goes all my rods - ugh!

if it works for you, then great. good job of thinking outside the box and finding a solution.

cheers,

kopper
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
whazup

Post by whazup »

Hard to tell from the pics, but won't they interfere with pitching/flipping?
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
dwise

Post by dwise »

Does your set up only hold three rods? I have at least 5-6 rods on my deck at all times, sometimes more when I'm desperate! :-)

For me it's just as easy to move my rods when I want to access the rod locker underneath (and pull out more rods!).

I do not step on my rods because I fish off the starboard side most of the time, and the only thing I have on that side is my net.

However, this is a very clever idea, and if it works for you, then go for it! Good job!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
cruizer

Post by cruizer »

I don't worry bout stepping on them for me they're safer this way. But I do see your point that me falling or something coming straight down on them is going to do some damage. But usually I only have 2 rods on each side on deck most of the time. I just have so much more freedom on my deck to walk around and open my doors. Flipping and pitching is no problem and landing a fish, the net solves that problem.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Innovative idea, I see 2 probable problems; when you have your reels mounted on the rods and up in the bow the rods may not stay in the holders in rough water or if you hit a boat wake at speed,
If 1 of rods comes loose it may take all 3 rods out of the boat.
The other problem is the reels banging around and hitting each other because there isn't any strap to dampen the movement or retain the rods in your boat.
Tom
cruizer

Post by cruizer »

C your point Oldschool, but the holes I made in the black PVC pipe are snug on the butts just enuff to keep them from sliding out. About the reels banging? I put the bottom rod with reel facing deck which fits nice and snug and rod 2 and 3 go in the same way. Plus i cover my reels with old ankle socks to keep them from getting scratched.