Swimbaits

mziemer

Swimbaits

Post by mziemer »

just wanted to know what type of swimbaits guys are throwing, what is working better than others, and what rod reel and line set up your using? about to get into swimbaits and need to know what to buy to start off.
DeltaBassBuster

Re: Swimbaits

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Try PLines 4, 5 and 6" Kick R Minnows with wieghted EWG style hooks around cover or with jig heads in open water. Try going simple before getting into those $15 - 20 + priced swimbaits.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

while you are at it try swim jigs. those Calif. swimjigs with a soft 5" swimbait as the trailer.

Good Luck on your swimbaits
Last edited by Rod Martin on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

"while you are at it try swim jigs. those Calif. swimjigs with a soft 5" swimbait as the trailer."

X2

Yah, I like using the swimjig in the delta as well. Use a Dirty Jig or a Renegade Swim Jig with Roboworms 5" Easy Shad. That has been my favorite last couple of years. There are so many ways you can present a bulky swim jig.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

$15-20?! those are CHEAP for swimbaits!
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

mziemer wrote:just wanted to know what type of swimbaits guys are throwing, what is working better than others, and what rod reel and line set up your using? about to get into swimbaits and need to know what to buy to start off.
Such an open ended question. Depends on what size baits you are throwing, the reason why you are throwing them, and where.

If you are trying to get giants, then you need big gear. 7'6" - 8ft Swimbait rods, Irod Swimbait Rods are cheap and amazing, and you can use the shimano cardiff(if strapped for cash) or calcutta 300-400 reels. Heavy line, 25-30lb. Match that up with big swimbaits. 8" Hudds, 9" Osprey Talons, 10" Triple Trouts and other BIG baits will catch you giants and keep it simple. With so many baits out there it gets confusing and overwhelming.

For numbers and better grade derby fish, then fish stuff like 5"-7" baits...need at least a 7' 3" Heavy rod with any good reel. I like to fish at least 15lb line if not I will use 65lb braid with a 20lb flouro leader and use hollow belly baits or inline baits. Simple baits that are very effective are the 6" basstrix paddle tails, 6-7" osprey tournament talons, Little creeper trash fish and the Predator Swimbaits by Shaun Bailey in Havasu.

My biggest key is to find a few baits, stick with them and match the forage in your lake. Don't get overwhelmed with all the baits and choices out there.

Good like out there and if you have any other deeper questions shoot my a PM.

Good Luck out there!
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
TCS

Post by TCS »

Since were on the topic of swimbaits what is most productive when it comes to 8 to 10 inch hard baits as far as sink rates floating, slow sink or fast sink given its February and were coming into spring.
mziemer

Post by mziemer »

dirty jigs california swim jig with a roboworm ez shad sounds great. what colors would work best for winter into spring? what gear ratio reel should i be using? any specific recommendations?
Last edited by mziemer on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

TCS wrote:Since were on the topic of swimbaits what is most productive when it comes to 8 to 10 inch hard baits as far as sink rates floating, slow sink or fast sink given its February and were coming into spring.
In my personal preference and sheer numbers of fish I love the 8-10" Triple Trout... it sinks at a decent rate and flat out catches fish. The new craze is the Deps Slideswimmer 250 which is basically a 10" Glide Bait...I've had no success yet but it looks good in the water.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
supermat

Post by supermat »

mziemer wrote:dirty jigs california swim jig with a roboworm ez shad sounds great. what colors would work best for winter into spring? what gear ratio reel should i be using? any specific recommendations?
It varies from fishery to fishery but my two favorite colors in Spring are Alabama Bream and Tactical Shad. The California swim jig was designed on Clearlake and the Delta and these two colors are very consistent.
I throw the Cali Swim on a 7:1 gear ratio reel and a 7"6" Medium heavy rod. The baits are extremely versatile but the most common retrieve is just to reel at a consistent, medium speed in and through cover. I'll be happy to answer any specifics you have by email: tacticalbassin@gmail.com

Matt Allen
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
Ross England

Post by Ross England »

Really loaded question! We have clients using everything from fish traps to very high end Japanese baits depending on the conditions and time of year on Clear Lake.

Keeping it simple and looking solely at consistency on my home lake. Fish traps and Basstrix paddletails on various jig heads weights, River2Sea S Wave, River2Sea Live Eye Bottom Walkers, Osprey top hook talons, Osprey flat back line thru, BBZ1, 8" Huddleston deluxe ROF 4, and Rago's bait built for Velvick.

Some of those are relatively light baits that can be thrown on a 7' jig rod to a 7.5' combination jig and crank bait rod. An example would be a Powell 765 cbr or similar brand with 15 pound mono or fluorocarbon depending on depth. That outfit will handle the fish traps, bass trip, smaller bottom walkers, smaller ospreys, and the S WAve.

The full size Rago, big bottom walkers, BBZ, Hudd, and Ospreys really require an outfit specific to swim baits. Do yourself a favor if you choose to go this way and find the lightest actual weight rod with a heavy enough action for these larger baits....otherwise you will beat yourself to death and cannot possibly stick with these baits long enough to achieve success with them. A good example is the middle rod in Matt Newman's 3 swim bait rods in his iRod line....come to think of it, the lighter of the three is another good example for the lighter baits. I probably use lighter line than others rarely going over 20 lb mono, but that is just me. 5 to 1 gear ratio is a great place to start then you can monkey with another gear ratio when you add your second outfit, or third, or fourth....jeez it can get out of control!

Good luck, you are about to enter a world of frustration, hard work, and really cool results when it comes together!
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

check out the roman made swimbaits too.. the mother is a little expensive, and quite large, but their fish catchers..
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Welcome the WB mzeimer. I see you are a teenager and more than likely just starting out.
What type of tackle do you own or plan to use with swimbaits?
The type of swimmers will depend on your tackle, any swimbait that weighs over an ounce should have heavier and longer rod than a standard med/ hvy bass rod.
All the 6" hollow bodies work well with fish head style jigs or keel weighted wide gap hooks.
The original hollow body is Basstrix 6" paddle tail, the original Little Crippers Trash Fish, both in shad colors.. The knock offs work, but not as well, however will save $$.
The Okuma Big bait guide 7'11" rod is still a good entry level rod for the larger heavier lures over 2 oz, up to 5 oz. if this is your plan then start with a 68 rof12 Hudd and 8" Triple Trout, both in light rainbow trout colors. Shimano Cardiff 400 reel with 25# Big Game mono work good.
Good Luck and feel free to ask whatever ? You may have.
Tom