Trolling Motor/Battery Help

Marley

Trolling Motor/Battery Help

Post by Marley »

I have a motorguide 24v 82lb tour edition trolling motor on my 18'6" bass boat. Normally I can make it a full day on fully charged batteries, the last 3or4 trips I can barley make it 6 hours with very similar use habits (speed, current, vegetation, etc).

After last trip I charged the batteries as normal, on board charger, took both batteries out of the boat, one read 12.52 v and the other 12.76 v. I then took both batteries to the local auto store and both passed a load test.

Is there anything else that could be draining the batteries faster than normal? (No other accessories are connected to these batteries)
A Perez

Re: Trolling Motor/Battery Help

Post by A Perez »

Before giveing up on them put them on a slow Trickle charge some times that's what they need. Good luck.
george

Post by george »

Do you have them hooked up properly?
With a 24V set up the two batteries should be hooked up with red coming from Trolling motor going to positive (+) on battery 1 and black coming from Trolling motor going to negitive (-) on battery 2 as well as the two batteries being connected by Positive (+) on battery 1 being hooked to (-) on battery 2. This will complete the 24V circuit! I have seen folks hook them up incorrectly and it will run your batteries down quicker draining one then the other.
Call Gene at the Hook line & Sinker, he is an expert on this stuff and can probably give you a solution over the phone.

George
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Marley,

How old are your batteries?

The load test the auto parts store did isn't going to tell you much from a duration/capacity perspective. Basically the test will tell you that they are holding a charge and there isn't anything physically wrong with them.

They are a little out of balance, but not too bad. The one that is 12.52 is weak which is going to cause the other battery to work harder.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
rico

Post by rico »

The best way to check your batteries is to fully charge them and let them sit for an hour before you take the readings. A fully charged battery should read 13.2 A reading of 12.5 means your battery is half gone. That's why your batteries aren't lasting. Time to look for new batteries
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

rico wrote:The best way to check your batteries is to fully charge them and let them sit for an hour before you take the readings. A fully charged battery should read 13.2 A reading of 12.5 means your battery is half gone. That's why your batteries aren't lasting. Time to look for new batteries
Rico, I think that some of this information is not completely correct. The best way to check a battery is what you said, but let it sit overnight to completely cool. The resting voltage of a good lead cell battery should be about 12.7-12.75 after they have completely cooled. AGM batteries are different and may have a higher resting voltage.

A 12.5 voltage after a full charge and then a complete cooling is not that bad, but shows a weak battery as I said. Without knowing how they were charged and how old they are, it is hard to tell.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Marley if your around the Hook Line & Sinker Oakley store I can put a load test on them for you.
Gene