An Unfortunate and Disappointing Happening.......Long

whazup

An Unfortunate and Disappointing Happening.......Long

Post by whazup »

My wife and I were fortunate to spend a week at the recent FLW tournament on Lake Roosevelt. We camped on a spot overlooking the launch ramp and enjoyed watching all the goings on of such a tournament. We attended the registration meeting on a snowy day in Payson and also each weigh in, including the college boys. We camped across from the San Jose State team and got a kick out of their enthusiasm and single-mindedness. They were SO unprepared for camping in that weather, but they didn't care...they were there to fish. Over all a very good time for my wife and I.

However....We had one disturbing incident that I have hesitated writing about. But maybe my experience will cause some future tournament angler to think twice.

I bass fish, although admittedly not at a level to put money on the line. I admire the skills of most tournament level fishermen and learn a lot from observing and listening. Late Thursday morning, I decided to do a little bank fishing. We went to a place called Burmuda Flats because of the easy lake access. (My wife and I are both retired and the knees ain't what they used to be. We normally fish from a boat) I found a likely looking spot with a line of trees and bushes barely within my pitching range. I fished for awhile and caught a nice 2 lber on a spinnerbait between the bank and the trees. A quick pic and back in the water he went. About that time I noticed a bass boat, on plane, headed south out on the main lake. When he got about even with me he shut it down and turned in my direction. They idled in to a place roughly 100 yards to my right and began fishing toward me. I thought. "Surely they won't come in on me." When they got within talking distance I asked them how they were doing. They said they had one. I told them I had just picked up a 2 lber right here. The Pro answered, "I know, I missed that one this morning." The co-angler added, "In fact, it was right where you are standing." I said nothing. Shocking to me, they continued to fish between me and the row of trees. In fact at one point the "Pro" pitched a bait right at my feet. I was stunned. I am a non confrontational person so I didn't react immediately. They went on, and I continued fishing for awhile. But the more I thought about it the madder I got. By this time they were long gone.

I had not recognized the "Pro" (should have, as I have seen him at seminars) but I went to the Tournament Director, Ron, and explained what had happened. He was not happy and asked me to watch for the pro during the weigh in and let him know who it was. We agreed. When this "Pro" crossed the stage and we heard his name announced, I couldn't believe it. It is a name everyone on this forum would probably recognize. A very well known N. Calif angler. An angler that does not need to stoop to such unsportsmanlike tactics to be successful. Knowing a little about this guy and having a kind of soft spot for him, I told my wife I wasn't going to report him and just let it go.

Then on Sat, between the college and the Pro weigh ins, the TD came to my wife and I. He asked if we had recognized our guy. I told him we had. He asked, "Was it the guy who said....?", and he quoted something this pro had said about the lake as he crossed the stage on Friday. I told him that was the guy. The TD said, "I knew it! As soon as he said what he did, I knew he was the one." He proceeded to tell us what action he was going to take.

My point in this lengthy tale is to remind tournament fishermen to show some consideration to others not as fortunate as you. Here was an old man and his wife, standing on a muddy bank, and you in your $60,000 boat can't give him 30 feet of water? A part of me wants to name him, because possibly he has a reputation as a "Professional" he doesn't deserve. I know this...he has lost a fan, and a customer!

Sorry so long...thanks for reading,

Dennis Sullivan
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
R. Duzac

Re: An Unfortunate and Disappointing Happening.......Long

Post by R. Duzac »

Definitely sorry for your experience.
As with any sport there are 10 or 20 percent that give that particular sport a bad name.
And they are definitely present in bass fishing too.

I hope you don't have to experience something like this again. I know it causes us to loose faith in humanity.
I hope you get a chance to meet the other 80% of us, and hopefully we can renew your faith.

Take Care,
Rene
VJ

Post by VJ »

I know how u feel I had something like this happened too but I was buying (large item) from a so called "Pro" and thought since he was supposedly known in the bass world he must be fair/honest had nothing to worry about boy was i wrong. The lesson I learned is just because someone is a pro and puts on a fake smile, says hi, and shakes ur hand doesn't make them a genuine good person who really cares about u or the sport. Trust people as far as u can throw them unless u really feel like a person is genuine. I believe in Karma and like the a**h*l* i dealt with what goes around come back around! :)
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
SJSU_Slants

Post by SJSU_Slants »

Dennis and Susan,
I would like to personally thank you guys for making our experience in AZ pleasureable. It is unfortunate for what happened and I believe I know who you are talking about.

However, thank you for your kind words, please feel free to contact us whenever you are in the Area. Meeting you guys was an added plus. Your guys were great camping neighbors. It was great meeting you two!!!

Best Regards,
Anthony Lee
SJSU Fishing Team
San Jose, CA
2019 Skeeter FX20 250 SHO
whazup

Post by whazup »

Rene, we are fine. We follow bass fishing very close and I know this was an exception. What was shocking was who it was. This is a man I have respected for several years. His attitude was, I had no right to be where I was. Our dream is to someday own a bass boat and I have dabbled with the idea of dipping my toe into local tourneys. No, our faith in the majority of bass fishermen is not shaken. Still love to fish and still love to learn by watching the good ones.

Thanks for your concern,

Dennis
whazup

Post by whazup »

Anthony, what a surprise hearing from you. You guys were a highlight of our trip. When you told me you were going to sleep on the deck of your boat, I had to laugh at the enthusiasm of youth. Got down into the mid 30's that night but you guys were chipper and having a ball. We loved it. Congrats on the nice finish on a very tough lake. People like you are the antithesis of what we experienced that morning.

Good luck to you, and like I told you after the weigh in....I'll look for your name in the professional ranks some day.

Dennis
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Did you find out what the TD said to the guy? Any ramifications?
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
whazup

Post by whazup »

"The guy" was long gone before the TD contacted us. He said this individual would be getting a letter from him (the TD) and would possibly be invited to not fish FLW anymore. The TD was more angry than I was. He was not happy.
bass king

Post by bass king »

What is a "slant"?

I went to San Jose State University, just curious what a "sjsu slant" is.

:?:
biteme

Post by biteme »

This is one of the problem with anglers. You are clearly supporting the sport and other anglers out there by showing up to support the sport. Its a shame that this happened. There was a video of a local here fighting with another guy on Clear Lake a few weeks ago. Some people just go way too far. Some how they lose respect for others when money is on the line.
Give people space! No one owns a "spot" or the lake for that matter!
Again Im sorry this happened to you. Just know not all of us are assholes,lol
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Dennis ,
I am glad you posted this . I have bass fished in the bay area for over 35 years , most of it from the bank or a float tube , the past 12 years from a boat . Like you , I don't fish tournaments , why ? Because of the same type of behavior that the so called "pro" did to you . Several years ago , I was fishing in the winter at a local lake , It just so happen there was a tournament going on with guys from the Gilroy Bassmasters . I happen to be in my pontoon boat at the time. I was fishing d-shots at the dam and doing very good. As I am catching several keepers working a specific area about 60 -70 feet from the dam , a so called "pro" comes right in between me and the dam (keep in mind he knew I was casting towards the dam and only 60 feet from shore ). He picks up a fish right in front of me (boat maybe 30 feet from me) . I asked him why he had to come fish water that I was on for the past 2 hrs , his explanation was he was in a tournament and "needed" the fish. After a few name exchanges , he moved on . I was tempted to tell the TD , but since I was still on fish I stayed as late as possible and they were gone when I left the lake. I would like to say these guys are the 10% , but I do not think thats the case. I know this guys name and I am sure if I posted it he would deny that it happened. These type of guys ruin it for others.

Anthony ,
Glad to see you are still fishing for SJSU . I will be the guy at Calero throwing S-Baits when your punching ---remember?
Good luck ,
tight lines ,
Robb
epps408

Post by epps408 »

That sucks, but I do wanna comment on how anglers should respect tournament anglers. I read a story yesterday about something that happened during the classic. An elite was fishing a rock pile with a bunch of spectators in boats watching. He caught a few there and it slowed down. As soon as he left that spot one of the spectators went right to that rock pile and started fishing it. That showed no respect or class. Tournament anglers will leave spots and come back later because those spots replenish. Tourney anglers pay thousands of dollars an event and least people can do is not fish during those events or let the tourney angler fish through.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

So no one is spilling the beans on the so-called "pro" behind such douchey behavior?

And what about the Clear Lake fight video? I saw a reference to it on "the other site" but I guess the video was deleted by youtube user.

So much jerky behavior...
madtackle

Post by madtackle »

I just read Epps408 response, WOW is the first word that comes to mind. You are trying to compare the Classic to an FLW Everstart event they don't even come close to comparing with each other. I've fished a lot of local derbies in AZ including FLW and some BASS events mainly out of AZ. So from your comments since someone chose to pay thousands in dollars to enter a derby gives them the right to reserve spots or expect "what you call respect" someone not to fish their spot that a local happened to see them fish either from a boat or the bank.

For the record anyone with a valid license no matter what day it is or what is going on at that lake has the right to fish anywhere they want since they have purchased a valid fishing license. I have always respected the bank fisherman and given them plenty of room or have always asked if they are ok with me fishing around. Same goes for fellow tournament anglers!! A little communication and asking goes a long ways. I have also denied the request of other tournament anglers who want to fish around me or near me due to the sportsmanship clause of most of our derbies of 25yds. If you beat me to a spot so be it then I just need to fish elsewhere. If a so called PRO which I'm not by any means feels they own the spot or the water they are fishing, then our sport is in serious trouble.
whazup

Post by whazup »

For the record, I had not seen this "Pro" or any other boat on this spot when I picked it to fish. In fact my first thought was, it would be too shallow and/or tight for a boat. Obviously wrong about that....
epps408

Post by epps408 »

I never said you were wrong. I was using the classic as an example. That pro was wrong. He should have asked you if he could fish that spot, and I'm sure you would have let him. On the delta a few years ago me and my partner made a run to a little cove we knew of. When we got there, there was another boat pulling in at the same time as us. He asked us if we were in a tourney. We said yes and he said go ahead. We thanked him and we caught some fish. There's a respect between most tourney anglers and non tourney anglers, but only if both sides show it.
SJSU_Slants

Post by SJSU_Slants »

Robb R wrote:
Anthony ,
Glad to see you are still fishing for SJSU . I will be the guy at Calero throwing S-Baits when your punching ---remember?
Good luck ,
tight lines ,
Robb
Bass King wrote:What is a "slant"?

I went to San Jose State University, just curious what a "sjsu slant" is.
Robb, yes I do remember you. This is my last year as I will be graduating in December!!!! I am very stoked about that. Feel free to give me a shout as my boat is now on Quarantine for the next 30 days for taking the boat out of state, maybe I will see you on the water after that.

Bass King, Slants is just a nick name I acquired a long time ago. Please dont ask why lol.
San Jose, CA
2019 Skeeter FX20 250 SHO
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Anthony ,
Congrats on getting close to graduating , my son did a few months ago from SJSU and I am very proud of him .
I hoping he starts working towards his masters.
On your boat , totally sucks. I havent been fishing much ---work is interferring with my fun. I have two fish for the year!!
On the post about fishing a spot that a pro was already on ---- I would say , leave a spot and ANYBODY get a chance at it .
I regard that totally different than just jumping in because you "need" a fish . If a pro just asked , I would let him have it ---for some good advise shared.
tight lines
Robb
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

forgot to mention , that so called "pro" that jumped Dennis's water , has probably read his post but is to
chickeshit to admit it ----what a guy , I am hoping Dennis post his name just to make sure I don't buy any of his products or the companies that endorse him .
Robb
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Well at least he didn't say something lame like, "Do you know who I am?" LOL !
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
Andy Lippert

Post by Andy Lippert »

The douche in the "Do you know who I am?" video was Paul Bailey. Too bad it got taken down...it gave the world the opportunity to see what a class act he really is. :shock:

As for who the other fella was at Roosevelt, I don't know who he is but I will say this...There are three sides to every story...
Last edited by Andy Lippert on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

These post are terrible and there is nothing at all to back this up...not even a name.I don't get why this bs is even allowed.

To me, it sound like you went out there to watch the tournament as a fan and then when a competitor comes into your area you don't get mad when he is there, but afterwards it occurs to you that what he did was wrong ? I think when you started talking to him and volunteered information about catching a fish there, and he told you where he had hooked one there earlier, he assumed you were a fan and were trying to help... as best you could. So he made a cast in your direction acknowledging your "tip" and left almost immediately.

I don't see any harm or any insult, and in fact feel he was probably a little bummed when he saw a shore angler working his spot. He didn't apparently pull the "do you know who I am" card, but was instead cordial and you had a nice exchange about fishing. He was probably a little busy to be really worrying about if you were catching fish or not, but he took the time to be courteous and even acknowledged your "tip" by casting one in there to show you where he hooked the other fish. I seriously doubt he did so with much confidence since you had probably been pounding that shoreline for awhile.

I have seen this happen a lot a the big events and usually the fans want guys to fish through. Sometimes they tell them it's okay, but often their actions just sort of tell them it's okay. A lot of anglers just don't like to start yelling back and forth when in a otherwise quiet cove. Often a guy fishing the shore will step back from the water and stop casting, or even put his rod down. Other times it's more subtle. This wasn't some club tournament but an FLW event, and while you don't have to give up your spot to anyone, why wouldn't you in this case ?

Your story sounds as if you went out there as a fan to watch the tournament, so you also realize this is a big deal to the pro anglers involved. I would think if you are a fan you would enjoy watching this boat work your little area up close. It seems weird that you only got made after the fact, had that pleasant exchange of fishing information and that so many others also seem to find so much harm in what happened here. I just don't see it. You are now making this guy sound like the worlds worst example and all that is wrong with bass fishing, when i think all that happened was pretty trivial and in my opinion just a misunderstadning. From everything you say in your report he was courteous and friendly, and not at all the jerk that everyone is now making him out to be in this thread.
biteme

Post by biteme »

kitjack wrote: he was probably a little bummed when he saw a shore angler working his spot.
His spot?
I dont know the full story and you could be right in your reply. I think the point here is no one owns the lake. Its not shut down for tournaments and if tournament anglers feel some entitlement to fish any spot they wish no matter whos fishing it maybe they should ask to have the lake closed while theres a tournament.
You see everyone buys a fishing licenses. Everyone has some skin in the game. Sure it might not be as much but who knows what that bank angler went through to fish that day. Maybe he left his/her family for the day to fish. Maybe he/she hasnt had a day off in a long time and wanted to spend that day on the water, who knows!
My point is its a BIG lake and for a boater to turn and try and fish a area that a bank fishermen is fishing is just lame and plane rude. Just because you catch a fish in a spot doesnt make it your own.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Just say who the pro is whats the problem why hide who he is better yet contact him and ask him too explain his side of the story. iTS REAL SIMPLE TOO DO
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
whazup

Post by whazup »

Kitjack, thank you for your comments. However, as you yourself point out, your thoughts are full of assumptions. I was there. I saw the attitude. I saw the body language. I was fully prepared to allow them to fish through until I saw the attitude.THAT is when I decided to withhold the offer. I imagine you have probably figured out who it is, and your attitude would seem to make you two a match, so I can appreciate you trying to defend him. In my opinion, his action is indefensible, and I make no apology for my action. If he wants to come on here and dispute my comments he is welcome. Again, thanks for your input, I am surprised it took this long for his friends to show up. Interestingly, I have been contacted, via PM, by several tournament directors. To the man, they have supported my position.
Last edited by whazup on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Jigging, if you will reread the OP, you will see my intent was not to out a "professional" fisherman. My point was to draw attention to how ones actions can affect others. My 6 year old grandson has learned to respect the space of others. I expect nothing less from a professional fisherman.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

whazup i to respect other when im out fishing on the lakes i fish i make it a point as not too get around or to close to bank fisherman in areas i like to fish i stay far enough off the shore as to not throw in areas they are fishing.ive talk to many bank fisherman and have asked how they have done when i am out fishing because i like to get ideas on both bank fishing and from a boat because i use this in my fishing reports in use in here and in the fresnobee fishing reports. i respect bank fisherman because from a boat we have more of and advantage in areas to fish. i sorry to here the guy was rude i go thru the same stuff in bowling tournaments we have them in every sport.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
FROGvsBASS

Post by FROGvsBASS »

I would have to agree with kitjack on this one...The banker says that he was there for a week and follows fishing. That tells me that he had plenty of time to fish and that he has some idea about the time and money it takes to follow a tournament trail. I understand that every licensed angler has a right to the water but for a "fishing fan" to not understand that a pro that is most likely coming from out of state and spending upwards of $3000+ to fish would want to fish a spot is beyond me. We are not talking about a guy trying to feed his family, we are talking about someone camping and wanting to watch a fishing tounry. It is obvious that whazup is no stranger to how tournament fishing works, this guy was fishing for 30k give him a break. Out of courtesy why would you not just let him fish through?

As far as the TD & flw, I dont see any way how he could not be allowed to fish future flw events...what was the infraction? Hearsay from a non-tournament angler? Is it against the rules to encroach on a bank fisherman?

Why try and drag a guy through the mud for this? The banker knew it was a tourny...just let the guys who are throwing their hat in the ring to do their thing...fish after 3!
dhaffn1

Post by dhaffn1 »

I agree with FrogvsBass 100%!! Common courtesy to let someone in a tournament fish through I can't tell you how many times I've been fun fishing and let tournament guys take a spot or on the other end when I've been fishing in a tournament and non tournament anglers gave up there spot for me. I think this is a pretty common thing and a respect thing for most tournament anglers...
SET THE HOOK!!!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

For all the guys who are supporting the actions of this so called "pro " , all I can say is WOW!!! This is about RESPECT for others and what they are doing .. It doesn't matter if he was there watching the tourney , fishing a spot or having a full blown orgy with friends. He was there fishing and the pro jumped his spot without asking FIRST. Misunderstanding , I think not . All the Pro had to do was ask politely and I am 110% sure Dennis would have said YES , and probably would have told him the color and brand of the spinnerbait he was using to catch that 2lber.
Why do so called "pros' , think they own a spot? Just because you have paid money to enter a tourney with your overpriced boat and 50 rods and reels doesn't give you access to others fishing spots .
Rude is Rude , pro or not . I would expect a higher level of RESPECT from a so called pro vs. anybody else.
If all you tourney friends think he didn't do anything wrong , then tell him to respond to the his actions .
Just because you put decals on your boat and patches on your shirt doesnt give you the right to disrespect others .
Robb
dhaffn1

Post by dhaffn1 »

In fact it's all about respecting others at least that's the way I look at it and none of us know exactly what the situation was really like besides the people that were there. All I'm saying is that most Tournament guys I know have that mutual respect for someone who's put there money on the line. Normally it's either us saying are you in the tournament if they are than we say alright good luck and you can have the spot or fish thru or whatever. Or sometimes the person in the other boat will ask but there have been times where it's just a no brainier the guys in the tournament if flw or the bassmasters are in town and I could see how you can or would just assume that the angler not in the big tourny would give him the same exact respect the the pro would give him if he had thousands or a career on the line. I know personally I try to be fair and respectful to others Im just saying that if you really knew how much time away from their families,money spent,hard work and flat out dedication goes into fishing these larger tournaments you would probably let them fish thru with no questions asked I know I would...
SET THE HOOK!!!
dhaffn1

Post by dhaffn1 »

Also just wanted to throw out there that I have no clue who the pro is and I'm speaking more in a general sense than pertaining to this particular situation since I was not there and don't know exactly how the conversation went between the two...
SET THE HOOK!!!
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

heres a thought....... why even bring it up...... we all know there are S(*& heads out there..... move on..... why stir the pot..... seems kind of chicken S*&^ to tattle on someone>>>>> :lol:
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

daffen,
you totally missed the point . How does anybody know what somebody did to get to that lake and fish that spot .unless you personally know that individual you have no idea what they have done to get to that spot and fish.
When you assume it's OK to jump somebodies spot WITHOUT asking first you have disrespected them . NOBODY likes to be disrepected -----by anybody. As for us non-pros , how do you know we didn't save years of vacation and all the spare money we could to go to a lake and fish just to have a pro assume it's ok to flip a lure right at your feet???
If a person is fishing a spot , pro or not , and you do not ask if it's ok to fish that spot you have no right to jump in and ASSUME it's ok to fish there. If the TD's would start enforcing rules about this and disqualifying the pros who do this , problem goes away .
If he would have asked first(maybe 30 seconds of conversation) , I am sure 95% of us non pros would be happy to have a pro come in and fish the spot we are currently fishing , otherwise your just being rude and disrepectful.
Like I said in a prior post , if this pro doesn't think he did anything wrong , post a reply and defend himself , otherwise he's just a rude , disrepectful --chickenshit.
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

SOMEONE SURELY WOULD HAVE GOT A SPINNER BAIT WIZZER!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.....
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
jg

Post by jg »

I would think the pro's might want to think about their stage comments more also. After watching the weigh in on friday and sat there seemed to be alot of snide comments about how far they had to travel to fish. If FLW is looking at staying out here the thought process of the weigh master might have more to with this guys and others comments on the stage than the fishing incident. Even my wife who was watching with me made the comment about some of the attitudes on stage.
whazup

Post by whazup »

Phil Burgess wrote:heres a thought....... why even bring it up...... we all know there are S(*& heads out there..... move on..... why stir the pot..... seems kind of chicken S*&^ to tattle on someone>>>>> :lol:
Exactly who did I tattle on in this thread? And as I mentioned in the OP I was going to let it drop when I found out who it was because I happened to like the guy. The TD CAME TO ME on the 3rd day and asked me to identify the culprit because he wants to run a clean tourny. And as to some of the comments assuming my conversation with these guys was just pleasant chit chat let me say....the pleasantness left when I commented I had caught a fish on that spot. Their demeanor was intended to intimidate and force me to leave. That is why I said in the OP I didn't respond to them anymore. A fight would have served no purpose. It was lowdown and EXTREMELY unprofessional!!
whazup

Post by whazup »

Frog v.....cost is relative. How do you know what it cost me to be up there relative to my income? I have to believe if these guys can afford to spend $3000.00 to attend an event with their $60,000.00 boats, their income is much higher than mine. If you can't pay. don't play. If your situation forces you to become a jerk, stay home. And because of my situation, I was combining two things in one trip. Watching the tourny, and getting to wet a line myself. It had been over a year since I had been able to fish due to our youngest son contracting cancer, (he is fine now) and other circumstances. Don't assume.......
FROGvsBASS

Post by FROGvsBASS »

The fishing is relative also...did this horrendous amount of "disrespect" ruin your whole week of camping? I doubt it. But I ASSUME that in a tourny that takes barley 30lbs for 3 days that it can be pretty frustrating to hear a bank fisherman talk about catching a 2lber when according to the co-angler they had already fished the area. It just seems a bit extreme to then go seek out a TD to "explain what happened". With regard to your "don't assume" comment, isn't your reasoning based on your "assumption" that this pro makes more than you and that his boat cost 60k...if he is fishing Everstart he is probably not making a killing fishing...just saying
whazup

Post by whazup »

My job required a lot of driving. It was my only income. Not once did I expect you or anyone else to get off my road because I was trying to earn a living. Lots of times others dared to park in the spot I usually used. How dare them!! Such selfishness.....

Anyway, I have stated my case and I feel zero need to defend myself anymore. I responded out of courtesy to some who took exception, but their minds were made up. To the ones who supported me here and through PM's, thank you. I hope the pro referred to here thinks twice before he does something similar. He may run into someone a little less patient. As mentioned before, I was a fan of his, but my first on-the-water experience with him was less than pleasant. That is all I intend to say on this matter. It is in the hands of FLW and the other TD's who have contacted me when they figured it out. Thank you all...let's go fishing....

Dennis
whazup

Post by whazup »

Changed my mind......Saw your FB page Mr "Pro". Come on here and talk as tough. People want to know who you are. Think of the publicity.......Just so you don't stay ignorant, I am a C & R fisherman. "Your fish" is still there.

OK, now I am out!
Last edited by whazup on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Dennis ,
As I said previously , thank you for posting this issue. Since I have had a somewhat similar expierience , I agree with everything you did and said on this post. If this so called "pro" is any kind of man , he would post an apology and learn from his actions . From what I have read , it appears that he and others who know him would rather post excuses and justify how they treat people , kinda like you and I are less worth than they are!!
The funny thing , everybody within those circles knows what he did AND , those same people will either blow it off and make excuses , AND the others will see this individual with a significantly less amount of respect than if he would just "MAN THE FRICK UP" and admit his wrong doing and apologize.
I guess we will all know if this "pro" is a real man and can admit his mistake , or just making excuses so he can treat people how ever he wants . I know what kind of man I try to be.
Good luck with your fishing , and really glad to hear your son has recovered,
Robb R.
biteme

Post by biteme »

Well on a lighter note the weather is great! get out there and catch some fish guys!
I dont think anyone is changing anyones mind here. This is a Tournament based site so trying to reason with guys that have money on the line isnt going to get you anywhere.
Good luck out there everyone!
rexford

Post by rexford »

Whazup,

Thank you for the post. I agree with you, we can all do better. I remember when I saw
my first bass boat I approached the guy and wanted to talk to him about it. He was
a total "tool" and I almost gave up on the sport all together. I found a site called NCBF.com
and a bunch of folks that were willing to help and share information with me. Many of these
people went out of their way to help me. One member took me out on my first tournament
and then fished an entire season with me. Another drove 200 miles to meet me (a stranger)
and spent the day showing me how to fish lake Trinity. Many offered their homes while
I fished on lakes local to them. I have been offered more rides then I can remember and
I still carry all their contact information today as I know should I ever be stranded they
will come to my aid. They are all still here on westernbass.com and my experience is that
most anglers are good people. Hopefully what you saw was a simple misunderstanding
and that you can let it go as that.

Best regards,
Mike
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

The "pros" are not all great on stage, but neither are most people in general. That is not a requirement to fish. Most of the guys are just regular guys who have to dig deep to raise the money required to fish.
You are certainly not under any obligation to give up your spot, but at least let them know before they are close enough to pitch a lure at your feet. What I got from your report was they may have assumed you were a fan who was talking to them in a friendly exchange about that spot and even volunteering information. I think most guys would assume that you were not upset if you continued to exchange remarks and share reports as they worked their boat towards you. If you were upset at this point you need to stop the friendly banter and give some indication to them that your not inviting them in. I think your actions may have done just the opposite based on how I read your report.
I have no clue who you are talking about, or do I want to protect pro anglers from fan attacks on forums. I simply think the guy had no clue and most people who are fans would enjoy watching a pro fish up close, so your reaction after the fact is not typical. Next time let the guy know by your actions, body language and words that you are serious about your fishing and your water, and I am sure he will respect your wishes. I think you were enjoying your little interaction with a pro, until about the time when he left. Most fans at a tournament would realize that a guy fishing in an FLW event have a lot more at stake and would just enjoy watching them at work. So while he should have asked the guy probably didn't even realize that you were offended until later, when you over reacted.

I would feel 100% the other way had you reported any sort of angry verbal exchange between yourself and the anglers. But it sounds like there was nothing but friendly chatter about fishing that spot and how they were doing in general. It seems to me that he was being pretty friendly.
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

Interesting points on both sides. For me, If I'm fishing a tournament and there's someone fishing the bank, I'll go around the area they're fishing unless they tell me it's ok to fish through it. I can go anywhere on the lake, they're limited to where they can go. In all likelihood, that 30 yards of bank probably isn't going to make or break the day, and if it is, I'll ask if they would mind me fishing it.
biggmatt

Post by biggmatt »

Man oh man,
It is plain and simple. The pro was wrong. The people that support this pro's decision to encroach on a bank fisherman are wrong too. Where do you "pros" get this sense of entitlement to just do whatever you want? The majority of tourney fishermen do a great job but there are always going to be "jackwagons" like this.
To those being encroached upon: be vocal. These chumps are not going to do anything to risk being diqualified. So say something!!!
Matt leverich
kitjack

Post by kitjack »

I really am not disagreeing with any of you guys. The original post just sounded like a friendly encounter between a shore angler / tournament fan that only went bad in hindsight. There was no confrontation or exchange of words reported, except for friendly fish talk. I think if it was me and I was upset about a boat entering my zone I would have been sending out body language, casting towards him and eventually just telling him to back off. I really do think the boater thought the guy wanted him to go through and I am sure after reading this he will be more careful. This was though a big deal FLW tournament so it would be great if more people would support the anglers for the couple days they are at your lake. This is no different than what is encouraged in other sports done on public property such as marathons, bike races, sailing contest etc. Most fans tend to step aside and get out of the way, and I think he assumed that is what you were doing.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

Mike R , you joined this website for the same reasons I joined , congrats on the successful encounters you have had with others , it's a demostration of your character and thiers . I am 100% sure your encounters with others will reflect on how you treat people on your road of life .

Kitjack ,
can't agree with most of your statements. this pro felt entitled and went ahead and assumed he could fish an area without asking , why? he needed more fish in the livewell, he only had one fish at the time and needed more . It's funny how people justify certain types of actions when money is on the line. Did you read Dennis's last two posts? It was all friendly.

No matter how people want to justify thier actions , this guy was wrong and he and his pro buddies know it . If I was a sponsor of his (and believe me they now know what he did) I would give him 24 hrs to make a sincere apology or I would stop sponsoring him. Everybody makes mistakes . Pro's should be held to a higher standard and if they make a mistake , just apologize .
If this pro he doesn't apologize , I guess it's OK to fish wherever he is fishing because he does it to others ??? I would bet he would be pissed if Dennis pulled up on "his " spot " and just started fishing without asking ? Oh , wait a minute Dennis isn't a pro , so he isnt that entitled , we reserve that for the guys who sacrifice so much to put decals on thier boat and patches on thier shirts.
FROGvsBASS

Post by FROGvsBASS »

The whole issue was a lack of communication from both parties...when the boat approached dennis said that he "thought" surely they wont come in on me..he didn't say hey "line in the water" or anything to that affect. Instead, he started with a friendly exchange(which is great) he then volunteered fishing info(which is also great) so at what point does someone start to think that they are not wanted? Dennis said himself he did not get mad until they were long gone, so how bad could it be if you don't even get mad right away? So now this "pro" should be dropped by his sponsors and banned from competing? All for something that the "victim" did not know that they were mad until some time later. to top it off, seek out a td and report it, then to come on to a public forum a say that this is whats wrong with fishing and that someone does not deserve to be pro. The whole entitlement rant seems a bit overblown. If nobody owns the water and everybody has a right, then why the need to ask? Common courtesy? Sure. But if it was such a big deal, would it not be common courtesy to let that person know that you are working this area and would appreciate being left alone? Of course. But this guy heard was how are doing and I just caught a 2lber...if I did not want a guy to fish around me the last thing I would tell is I'm catching fish, especially if I know he is in a tourney.