New jig and Texas rig/worm rod…???

Chue Chang

New jig and Texas rig/worm rod…???

Post by Chue Chang »

I fish a jig and texas rig 60% of the time and I have lost many fish to these 2 techniques.

I believe I lose a lot of these fish due to my rods being too slow and therefore not getting to the meat/backbone quick enough for the hookset. It could be a myriad of other things too…but…I chose rod action because a lot of the rods I used…just never felt fast or “crisp” enough on the hookset and always leaving me wanting a faster more crisp/refined action.

I am looking at getting a new jig/worm rod. I know G. Loomis NRX or Daiwa Steez could/would be it…but the price range is WAY OUT of my league. $300 is my max.

I have been fishing in the 100-150 price range rods and I believe its time I man up’d and venture into the $300 price range because I know for a fact that when you go for more expensive rods…the rods get faster, crisper and with more refined actions.

I have narrowed it down to:
1. G. Loomis GL2 ($250-$295)
2. Megabass Orochi XX ($275-$300).
3. Custom rod ($250-$300 depending on retailer)

Which would you get? Any brand you guys recommend?

Maybe...all I have to do for better hooksets and not losing fish...is to change/refine my hooksetting technique/procedure...than that way I can keep fishing the rods I have now.

Thanks for the help guys.
Champion Jon

Re: New jig and Texas rig/worm rod…???

Post by Champion Jon »

Not sure what size jigs or t-rigs your throwing, but a dobyns champion 705c is a darn good rod for both techniques. It's considered extra heavy which may help you hook up. I have one and like it. Spooled with 15lb floro it is a versital stick.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I use ALX rods. Go online check their custom rods and ask to speak to ALex and mention my name and jig rod.
Tom
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

When I lose fish on those two techniques its because I'm not getting a good hook set. The t-rig is a little more forgiving if you don't set the hook right away and hard. If you hesitate with a jig chances are you're going to get a wishy washy hook set. If you don't have your line tight you could also be dealing with a reel issue where you need something with more speed.

I use a Phenix UMBX 606L or H depending on the cover I'm fishing. When I'm fishing thick cover or punching I go up to a 7'-6" rod.
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

iROD Air Series 703 or 704 is what you need. $249.99 and they are LIGHT and extremely sensitive! :wink:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Check out BIg Bear Fishing Rods. Made in the USA, super sensitive, strong, and the best proprietary handle ever. My tourney partner, who fishes NRX's pretty much exclusively, is very impressed with them.
I wrote a detailed review on my blog a few months ago. PM me if you want the link.
Caveman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Image Image
Noluk

Post by Noluk »

I love some of the GLoomis rods that I have but to be totally honest the GL2 rod I have is not one of the ones I love. That model is their low end and it cannot be compared to their top shelf offerings at all. IMX and up is where the magic is in GLoomis. There are lots of really great choices at the over 300 price point. Some are better than others for certain things but at that level it is based far more on preference and any performance differences are going to be quite small. (In other words if you are fishing brand x 300 dollar rod it is extremely likely you are would catch the same number of fish as with any other brand y 300 dollar rod.) The real differences are what you like as far as feel, weight, action, balance and looks.

I am not certain any rods is going to give you a better hookset. A lighter rod may give you more acceleration... a more sensitive rod may give you more time to set the hook. At the end of the day though you have to tug on your end hard enough to move a little bit of wire into the fish past the barb. Changing line to a flouro or braid may be the cheapest and easiest way to accomplish that. It could even be the hooks you are using. Light wire hooks penetrate much easier than flipping hooks if you are using lighter line.

All that said, there are some great local California based rod vendors who do allot for the sport in our home state and deserve a look whenever we are looking to spend our money on a new rod.
Tobey

Post by Tobey »

If you are talking about open water T-rigs and light wire Jigs then I really like the Dobyns 744dx, if you are talking about heavier pinned t-rigs and heavy wire jigs pitched or flipped into heavier cover then I switch to either the 735c or the 765 Flip but to be honest, I like the rod to load a little deeper into the blank (and these rods do) because I feel like I have more control fighting the fish and less chance of them throwing the hook with a jump at the boat or some head shakes. I have no experience with the GL2 or the Megabass but I think a rod that fits what you are describing is the Daiwa Zillion. The zillions are very light weight, reasonably balanced, load up quickly, are extremely powerful and in your price range at around $250...I'm sure there are plenty more rods out there that fit the bill as well but this is the one that came to mind when I read your post. I have two of them and they are great rods just a little faster action than I like.
Chue Chang

Post by Chue Chang »

Thanks for all the great suggestions, advice, comments and tips guys. I really appreciate it.

On a side note...My current setups for jigs and T-rigs right now is:

1. Irod Genesis II 744c, Daiwa Zillion 7.1, Carbontex drag upgrade
2. Irod Genesis II 754c, Daiwa Zillion 7.1, Carbontex drag upgrade

I feel the Irod Genesis II is fast...as in the SPEED and has the backbone that I need/like. BUT...the bend/meat shuts off about 1/3 of the way down from the tip...of which for my height and arm length is too LONG. My stature is 5'5" with maybe a little on the shorter side for arm length than most guys.

I do feel that longer rods and higher speed reels compensate for my short stature/short arms when fishing these 2 techniques. On that side note...I don't like short rods for jigs and t-rigs. I like to go as long as I can without it being too much of a problem. After bass fishing for 3 years now going on 4...I can attest that I prefer/like my jig & t-rig rods to be from 7'3"-7'5". 7'2" and under and I feel its too short. Right now...7'4" feels the most PERFECT for the size and styles of jigs/t-rigs I throw in the depths I fish.

Only problem is...not many rod manufacturers make jig/t-rig rods in that length with the line/weight/oz rating/reel seat I like. I do want to test out the Daiwa Zillion rod as I have heard its pretty fast/crisp and shuts off into the backbone early. The only problem is the length. The 7'6" flip looks promising but its a little too long for me. All the other ones are 7' and a little short for me.

So in conclusion...I guess what I really want/need is: The same speed or maybe even a little faster than the rods I use now BUT with a tip that shuts off about 1/4 of the way down from the tip to the backbone. Of which...would be classified as an extra fast. Only problem with extra fast rods is the tip is not forgiving and the fish has a higher probability to throw the hook when fighting the fish and last minute runs/head shakes.

In the end...I believe its best for me to go the Custom rod route since my specs are so demanding...as they can provide me with the precise action, feel, ratings, length and looks I want.

Thanks for the input guys. Now I know what I have to do.
WB Fishing Reports

Post by WB Fishing Reports »

Another one of those Daiwa questions floatin' around this past week or so that we ran by Ish. This was his answer...

I'm looking at three things for fishing a worm/jig.

First, I want a MINIMUM of a 7:1 gear ratio reel. it is going to take up slack faster, especially when it has to keep up because that fish is swimming towards you. A 7:1 reel is going to take up 36-inches of line with ever turn, as opposed to 24-inches of line with a 6:1 reel. That can make all the difference in your hookset.

Second is the line. I'm going to use Maxima fluoro over mono for less stretch. That is going to increase the hookset ratio.

Third, the rod. You mentioned a Steez was out of your price range. There is a 7-ft Cielo and a Zillion. Both will do the job. The Cielo runs about $169 and the Zillion about $249. Like I said, either will get it done, but here are the differences besides price. The Zillion is more crisp, more sensitive and just a little bit stiffer for the same action. The people that pick the Cielo are guys that like a little less backbone and not as stiff as a rod.
DB

Post by DB »

G Loomis IMX 844 braid with floro leader, never look back.

DB
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Chue, after reading through both yer posts, sounds like ya really need to contact a custom rod builder to get precisely what ya want for these two tactics. I'd highly recommend Steve Beichman's Custom Rods. He's been building me Jig, t-rig worm and Senko custom rods for years and I git exactly the tool I desire for these tactics. http://www.stevescustomrods.net/
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Sounds like you need a heavy rod with an extra fast tip that shut down and gets into the backbone quickly, but still has a soft tip to cast well.
Look at this rod from TW, the Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'1" Heavy 714-CEF:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Powell_E ... e-PEC.html

I throw 1/4 oz. jigs with it, no problem, and get good hooksets.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY