**Weird, Yes** Freezing temps and outboards...

LV Ba$$

**Weird, Yes** Freezing temps and outboards...

Post by LV Ba$$ »

This is an odd question for this time of year but --

I'll be up at Trinity for the next few days and temps look to be freezing overnight--->

What do you do when storing your boat on the water/off the water while temps are freezing? Never dealt with this...

Thanks!!
LV Ba$$

Re: **Weird, Yes** Freezing temps and outboards...

Post by LV Ba$$ »

Really?

:?: No one knows, huh? :?:
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

I wouldn't think that it would be cold enough long enough to do any damage but you could always throw a blanket or sleeping bag over your motor at night and place a heat lamp under the motor and that should be enough to prevent anything from freezing, if your leaving your boat in the water it should be fine as I don't think the lake will feeze up.
adman

Post by adman »

I'm not positive but I would suspect you would want to lower your motor after you pull out to get the water out. Probably not an issue if you leave it in the water. I know the elite guys have had to fish in snow this year I don't rmember anyone talking about any issues. Call a dealer and ask if you want definitive answers. People up there probably have some thoughts as well.

I do know if your trailer bunks ice up overnight the boat may either get a little sticky coming off, or worse, it can come off the trailer a we bit early!! so you might want to leave the bow strap on the second morning just in case.

Hope I helped,
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

I would not worry too much. Just drain your motor and lower unit to make certain the ice expansion does not damage any seals or sensitive parts if you are worried. If you did nothing at all I think you would still be OK. The biggest issue I have had is when you deck and carpet gets wet, it can freeze your compartments shut. The temp needs to be in the 20s for hours for this to be an issue. Good luck.
jg

Post by jg »

I use to live in freezing conditions and would just wrap my lower unit in a good sleeping bag and make sure I drained as much water as possible. I did on occasion wrap it with heat tape when we were in really prolonged cold.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

David,

You really have nothing to worry about. If you leave the boat on the water, just be careful because there will likely be ice on your deck and it will be slippery. If you take it out, as mentioned, be sure you empty the water out of your lower unit. In the mornings, be sure to fully warm up your motor before running.

It isn't going to be that cold for a prolonged period to make much of a difference...other than for your hands and nose :).
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com