South Dakota Northern Pike

Basslab

South Dakota Northern Pike

Post by Basslab »

OK so I am headed to my buddy's place in S Dakota in a couple weeks. Been there before and they have irrigation ponds everywhere there, similar to our farm ponds here but instead of bass, they have northern pike. Just wondering what I should take since I will be driving my Tundra, space is no problem. I'm thinking some jerkbaits and possibly swim baits along with normal soft plastics and blades. Now as far a leader, I was thinking of a wire leader but that would certainly hinder the action of swimbaits and jerkbaits so was thinking 100 braid leader should do it. I will gladly take any suggestions but most of our fishing will be from the bank with one day in his boat. Thanks.
Zachary

Re: South Dakota Northern Pike

Post by Zachary »

I lived in Minnesota for three years. The braid will be fine. Maybe you get lucky and tie into a Musky. I would bring some SB rods if it were me and some bass med action rods in case you only find small northerns. Good luck and have fun
TeamBeefmaster

Re: South Dakota Northern Pike

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

Northern pike get big and mean. They looooooove spinnerbaits. They will eat anything moving fast and shiny. Jerkbaits too. I would only use baits you are OK with losing or ruining. There is a good chance they will inhale your swimbait/jerkbait, you do not want to attempt to remove it from deep in their throat.... just cut the line and save urself a tetanus shot LOL. They also tear up any lures u use. If you are targeting pike, a steel leader or super heavy mono/braid leader will work. They eat anything a bass will eat. If you use a spinnerbait you can probably get away without using a leader, unless the monster deep-throats ur lure.