Someone fishing the Delta listened and took a look

Post by DanIsaac »

at their reels.......guess what we found.....4 reels out of 4. Dan
mms_picture (53).jpg
mms_picture (53).jpg (37 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
Attachments
mmspicture (52).jpg
mmspicture (52).jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
mark poulson

Re: Someone fishing the Delta listened and took a look

Post by mark poulson »

Man, that's sad. Salt really eats aluminum.
Will that salty water eat the insides in one of the new Shimano C14+ reels?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Popper

Post by Popper »

If this is the case....
Our boat trailers and motors should be having issues as well.
As this continues to get worst, You'll need to wash down your trailers, and flush the outboards with fresh water after a day on the Delta.

Ed
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

mark poulson wrote:Man, that's sad. Salt really eats aluminum.
Will that salty water eat the insides in one of the new Shimano C14+ reels?
Actually, that is brass, stainless, and plated steel. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a reel made that I know of which is saltwater "proof". All reels exposed to salinity need to be maintained with different guidelines than if used just in freshwater, and serviced twice as regularly. Just the nature of the beast. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Popper wrote:If this is the case....
Our boat trailers and motors should be having issues as well.
As this continues to get worst, You'll need to wash down your trailers, and flush the outboards with fresh water after a day on the Delta.

Ed
Yep, that was actually part of my point. We cannot assume that the Delta is merely "brackish" any longer, as it surely is not! Dan

birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

I fish the delta mainly during the summer an never go west of franks tract. Is salt something I need to worry about? I clean and oil my reels after summer every year?????
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

birdi23nls wrote:I fish the delta mainly during the summer an never go west of franks tract. Is salt something I need to worry about? I clean and oil my reels after summer every year?????
First, let me qualify this by saying I have not been on the Delta in two years, so I can only go by what I see in the reels, and what their owners tell me.

Second, this was rarely an issue in the past unless you frequented west of Big Break.
However, I am now seeing the same thing in reels that customers inform me have not been west or north of Frank's Tract. So, yes, I would be aware, especially in summer with the low water flows coming in.

White chalky substances around or under caps, closures, or level winds would be the first thing I looked for. Also, behind spools. Wiping reels down will help avoid these issues for sure.

Dan

fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

So Dan,

What plan would you recommend for someone who fishes around or west of Franks, if they want to prevent what you showed in these pictures? I'd suspect I should clean the reel with Simple Green or some other light cleaner, then disassemble and spray with Windex as you suggested in a separate post? Or is reversing that order better? Thanks!

BTW how are "baby wipes" as a cleaner for reels? They are pretty convenient!!! I'm worried about the Lysol or Clorox type disinfecting wipes due to possible bleach in them, but are they okay?
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

fishbonz412 wrote:So Dan,

What plan would you recommend for someone who fishes around or west of Franks, if they want to prevent what you showed in these pictures? I'd suspect I should clean the reel with Simple Green or some other light cleaner, then disassemble and spray with Windex as you suggested in a separate post? Or is reversing that order better? Thanks!

BTW how are "baby wipes" as a cleaner for reels? They are pretty convenient!!! I'm worried about the Lysol or Clorox type disinfecting wipes due to possible bleach in them, but are they okay?
Mist with windex let set for a couple of minutes and wipe dry with diaper wipes. Absolutely, diaper wipes rock as a rod/reel wipe.

Simple Green is more for removing dirt and or weed build up.

Like anything though, just being aware makes a HUGE difference, and was actually the main purpose of the post. 1) to confirm what the other post was saying 2) to make anglers aware. Brackish no longer applies in the summer months.

Dan

Dan