5%
Family/work obligations
19%

Total votes: 157

kmah

POLL Top reasons why you don't fish tournaments

Post by kmah »

Why you don't fish them?
Last edited by kmah on Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noluk

Re: POLL Top reasons why you don't fish tournaments

Post by Noluk »

Time and money... both for the events and for travel. It simply became more enjoyable to fish a club or fun event with a low cost compared to the time and money for travel, pre-fish and the tournament costs themselves. Little events certainly do not have those highs and lows like a pro-am or the same level of competition but my discretionary funds just can't put out a couple thousand per major event any longer.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

I wanted to beat Kmah, but he beat me like a puppy so I quit. lol
Back and knees went ,along with weight so I stopped fishing. But am fixing that and may return to Fed style fishing as I gain use of new knees.

The draw Ts were the ones I enjoyed fishing.
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I can't afford to both fish tournaments and fish every weekend, so I chose fun fishing.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
PHENSON

Post by PHENSON »

THIS IS THE SAME THING I POSTED IN GARTY'S QUESTION

I don't speak up much on here but this is making me speak up. Semi pro events are not what they used to be. They are destroying tournament fishing out here. I started in a semi pro league won angler of the year and was forced to move up. Also look at the Snag Proof with the am division they would of paid more spots if we just meet in the middle with the entry fees and make it a true open. It used to be an honor to go fish against the guys in the pro teams. Like any sport you get better when you compete against people with more experience. I don't mind paying the higher entry fees as long as there is participation. If lowering entry fees means more boats then that's the direction we should go. Going and paying 300 for a team tournament that draws 14 boat is retarded but then the next week semi pro events draw over 100 on the same body of water. There are names in these semi pro events that should not be there. If it stays this way I will just take a break for a few years and then come back and enter as a semi pro. We need a circuit that has off limits also. Not all of can pre fish for 2 weeks or live on those bodies of water. I can sit here and go on and on but I will stop venting!

AND FOR WHAT GARY IS ASKING YES I THINK IT WOULD WORK I WOULD BE IN AS LONG AS I NEW WE WOULD HAVE CLOSE TO A FULL FIELD

Preston
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

I just hate getting up so darned early.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

then how come the semi pro events have a larger draw than pro events?? its because pro's wont travel like the old days, plain and simple, they have become a home water fisherman only. go back to the old days and fish multiple lakes. the rookie leagues do it with great success. everyone eago's need to stay on the dock. go fish different water and see how good you really are and maybe the numbers will increase and then your pay outs would increase. then we can see who is the better fisherman
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The only reason to fish a bass tournament is to win. With today's format of single or maybe two lake venues winning requires too many hours spent on 1 or 2 lakes to be dialed in, giving the advantage to very few anglers who can win.
The schedule should have at least 5 lakes to break up the local dominance of a few anglers. The trail should also offer a boat package as the top prize for points to encourage participation.
Do this and the events will grow.
Tom
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

I would love to be able to fish a 5 or 6 lake circuit, but its all about the money . Most of us cant afford to travel. We are in a recession . Boat prices are way to high, gas is to high. I fish a few local team tournaments and really cant afford to do that.
Clearlake is in great shape and fishing has been good but there is not even very many fun fishermen coming up. Again its all about the money!!
Dave
PHENSON

Post by PHENSON »

I honestly don’t think guys are not fishing sole on money reasons. Yes that is a big factor but there are other reasons also. If was a money issue why do the semi pro stuff draw over 100 boats, Yes they are cheaper but the guys are still going up and pre fishing. The other big problem is we all complain about paybacks. If we had the numbers we would not be complaining. I am always having people talk to me about why tournament orgs don’t pay 100% they take their share, we need to realize that someone has to get paid to put the tournament on they are not doing it for charity. We get the numbers up and then sponsors jump back in and then we see payouts going back up. I don’t know why this is such a touchy subject out here. It right in front of us, Semi pro stuff needs to be a platform to grow and then move up to the big boys. There are plenty of guys in these circuits that have taken money from all of us. If we would just lower entry fees for a while have off limits also no more one lake circuits. I think this will help our fishing get back on track out here we can all benefit in the long run. Without numbers means no sponsor dollars it’s that simple. Sponsors equal better payouts. Why do you think Future pro has so many corporate sponsors they draw boats. I have kept my mouth shut on this for a while and now I have to speak up because it’s getting so bad out here. I have a challenge for Vince and Randy. Try having an open circuit with the same entry fees and see if your guys show up and fish against everyone. If they don’t then people are fishing tournaments for the wrong reasons. Hopefully it just boils down to that people are willing to donate $150 to get better by fishing against better fisherman. It’s hard to go donate $300 plus I understand that. We as fisherman better do something before we have nothing
TeamBeefmaster

Post by TeamBeefmaster »

With the birth of our daughter it makes tournies very difficult. Also, competing for a 12lb limit at Castaic is not exactly thrilling.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

dam I miss the old days... sadly they are gone forever. the pussification of America is in full effect. The first tournament I ever fished when I moved from so cal to nor cal was against Gary Dobyns, Kent Brown, Dennis Parika, Marcel Colin, Andre Moore, Mike Vanwagner, Mike Reynolds etc etc etc.. It was a freaking blast. It made me work harder for the next event.. we had off limits then Saturday pre fish.. Man those were the days... great days....especially when I put it all together and beat those guys... wish we could go back in time to those 18 foot rangers with 150's....
Vernonn

Post by Vernonn »

RipnRog wrote:dam I miss the old days... sadly they are gone forever. the pussification of America is in full effect. The first tournament I ever fished when I moved from so cal to nor cal was against Gary Dobyns, Kent Brown, Dennis Parika, Marcel Colin, Andre Moore, Mike Vanwagner, Mike Reynolds etc etc etc.. It was a freaking blast. It made me work harder for the next event.. we had off limits then Saturday pre fish.. Man those were the days... great days....especially when I put it all together and beat those guys... wish we could go back in time to those 18 foot rangers with 150's....

Hey Roger,

Steve and I used to love moving from lake to lake. We prefish now as much as we did back then. The two weekends prior to a tournament. Now, we throw in a Wednesday. The off limits were cool too, for the working guys. Was it Newbass that was the working man's circuit? I'm with you on the 18 footer with the 150s. . . . the good ole days!

-vernon
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

Yeah Vernon it was Newbass and west coast bass back then and even ABA when they did the 1 in 4 payback.. .. I loved the off limits personally... I remember when there were 2 tournaments per month on Folsom alone... of course the price back then was like 150 all in.. kind of like the "rookie" leagues are doing.. brings back memories real good memories. You guys always fish travelers now so you can continue to fish different bodies of water.. I hope to fish against you again soon... Your great competitors ...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

TeamBeefmaster wrote:With the birth of our daughter it makes tournies very difficult. Also, competing for a 12lb limit at Castaic is not exactly thrilling.
I think that's a really good point. Our lakes, especially Castaic, don't have the numbers of quality fish they used to, so everyone's worming the same spots for the same 1-2lb fish. When I first started fishing Castaic 3lb fish were common, now they take big fish.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

This is why I've gone, for the most part, to night fishing here in So Cal. Not being able to prefish for night tournies, to me, makes a more even playing field. I don't mind plunking down the money for an even playing field. It's fun, it's quiet and the fishing is much better.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Why does everyone blame semipro tournaments as the reason "PRO Team" fields are low? That's ridiculous.

Many of you don't have a perspective on this because you weren't doing this in the late 80's and early 90's, or you've forgotten how things ran then.

There were three organizations that had semipro circuits that had huge draws. NewBass, West Coast Bass and 100% Bass a little later. NewBass routinely drew more than 100 boats, West Coast Bass - run by Kent Brown - was always around 100, and 100% was usually in the 60 to 80 range.

While these were running, there were "Pro Team" circuits that averaged 40 boats or more.

The difference was that each organization had a Northern Team circuit that fished five to seven lakes, a Delta Teams and a Central Valley Teams that fished those five to six lakes.

What killed team tournaments is the organizations dividing into individual lake tournament trails. When you take 12 boats from Shasta, 17 boats from Oroville, 15 from Folsom, 20 from the Delta and 15 from the Wine Region you end up with larger fields. A certain percentage of them will not travel, but instead will cherry pick their home lake when they come to that lake, but the sizes of fields will be significantly larger.

Of course our overall expenses will go up a little with more traveling, but the returns will also increase when you a cash a check.

As it is, the only people making any money are the organizations. The tournament directors get a set amount per boat, the organization gets the permit and insurance fee as well as their hold back and the anglers get the rest.

Until we decide to stop fishing one lake circuits, there won't be any changes to the size of fields and the "Pro Team" circuit anglers will continue to struggle with field size.

DanO
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There are many contributing factors to our numbers decline. None have affected us as bad as the ONE LAKE REGIONS. It encourages guys to stay home and fish local. Many claim that it's a money issue....BUT they will prefish for 3-5 days prior to the event. If there was an off-limits period...some of the hot shot teams practicing for 3-5 days would become more beatable.......BUT the big factor is the working guys that have to show up Saturday and fish against the locals that have been on the water all week. It puts them at a disadvantage so many don't show up.

I'd like to see some of these changes and I believe it would help us:

Off limits periods for ALL events. Teams --Off limits Mon-Fri prior to Saturday event. Sunday events could have Saturday practice as most guys could and would practice Saturday.

Pro-Ams Off limits period with official practice of 2 or 3 days. I'd like to see it off limits for 2 weeks so the locals didn't have as big of advantage...but any off-limits would make it better than it is now.

NO one lake regions. The circuits created this monster...but now many anglers are spoiled. I think most will agree.. numbers would go up in events if there was one stop per lake..per region. Also, anglers that fish different bodies of water requiring different techniques will be better anglers.

I'd like to see a limit on the amount of events a circuit could have. Whatever that number is...9, 12, 20????? But not 30 or 60. Make the circuits work harder at putting on quality events and drawing more numbers with less events. This is aimed at all the One Lake regions!

As far as the rookie events....There are many very good anglers competing in them. Has anyone noticed the weights it takes to win these events. Many times I've seen the weights and thought....damn I'm glad I wasn't there for that a$$ whipping. The same weight would of won no matter WHO was in the event. I think there’s two reasons they draw well in Rookie circuits....one is entry fee being lower and the second is the fact guys want to fish against more boats. A bigger event has more drawing power.

My 2 cents!

Great questions Ken.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Gary,

Great points. you're absolutely right, and you guys tried to get it done with OHI, but for whatever reason, it didn't get to the execution phase.

There are plenty of really good anglers in the Semi pro leagues, and if some of them would move up each year, it would help the numbers on Pro Teams a bit. But, as you alluded to with your suggested format improvements. There is nothing desirable for them to move on to; so they don't.

It's just too simple to look at these semipro circuits and declare them the problem. Close them all down and everything would be fixed. No, that's not going to do it. Most of those anglers would go back to fishing clubs and turkey shoots because there is nothing format-wise, exposure-wise, hype-wise or experience-wise out here right now that gets anglers excited about throwing $300 and expenses into getting their rear ends handed to them by the Dobyns, the Rossettis, The Baileys, or the Lockharts of the world.

The "Rookie Leagues" have been around long before FPT, BBT and WRL, and the teams were very successful. If the orgs make a better mousetrap, tournaments in the West could flourish again.

The days of West Coast / WON Bass / NewBass weren't perfect, but it was fun and rewarding on a lot of levels. A lot we could examine and bring back that could help us now.

Great points Gary, respect them,

DanO
flipit

Post by flipit »

One and two lake regions is my biggest reason. Can't afford Flw events with the per fish expense and all. I'd also like to see an off limits again. That said I have heard of a two day team series that is already set for next year, and it will require travel as the 3 tourney season includes Oroville, Delta, and Lake Mead. That is the type of trail I'm interested in and splitting fees with a team partner makes it more affordable.
Fishing should be fun.
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Guys are funny whining about one and two lake regions :lol: :lol: Why would someone who lives locally on a body of water like Clear Lake, Delta, Shasta want to drive to fish some hole like Orville? Those are amazing fisheries!! In a travelers circuit the locals usually do well on their home body of water and the TOC will favor locals also. Should the TOC be a three day three lake tourney? I dont hear my boys back east complaining about tourneys trails that fish one big body of water. Pro/am trails always fish muliple lakes for the season.. those are the real tourneys anyways.. team tournaments are just little weekend events to go have a good time out on the water and compete. Are guys looking to pay their bills and hold major sponsers while only fishing teams?

ANd I dont like tourneys anymore because shaking fish off in pre fish SUCKS!!! :lol: :lol:
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

I see the word sponsorship being thrown around.........

THE BIGGEST LOSS OF SPONSERSHIP IS DUE TO THE JERSEY JOBBER SOCIAL MEDIA BAN WAGGON JUMPER THAT EXISTS TODAY...........

QUIT GIVING AWAY FREE ADVERTISMENT YOU """"JOBBERS""""" AND THE SPONSERS WOULD HAVE TO COME BACK.......

I MEAN HELL WHY PAY SOMEONE TO PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCT WHEN YOU CAN GET SOME GOOFY JOBBER TO TALK ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT FOR FREE........, HELL THESES JOBBERS EVEN SPEND THERE OWN MONEY ON T-SHIRTS.....JERSEYS.....WRAPS.....(ECT) JUST TO TRY AND LOOK GOOD.......

THINGS ARE SPUN WAY OUT OF CONTROL......... ITS A WHOLE BUNCH OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED........

BUT HELL IF YOU LOVE IT JUST DO IT FOR THE FUN............THATS WHAT I SAY..........
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

some circuits do move the good rookies on and some just change the rules or make exception to let them keep fishing in their circuits. the ones that are moved on don't want to fish these small pro events against home water / one lake guys. with the higher cost, lower pay outs and the lack of quality organized events ( nothing like weigh-in's off a tailgate) they just don't want to waste their time and money.
the rookie's circuits are successful for a reason and instead of complaining about them, why not change the current pro format's and make the rookies want to step up and move on. all everyone is doing is complaining. when is everyone going to quit whinning and do something, make the changes and they will come.
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
Ceaser

Post by Ceaser »

Phil Burgess wrote:I see the word sponsorship being thrown around.........

THE BIGGEST LOSS OF SPONSERSHIP IS DUE TO THE JERSEY JOBBER SOCIAL MEDIA BAN WAGGON JUMPER THAT EXISTS TODAY...........

QUIT GIVING AWAY FREE ADVERTISMENT YOU """"JOBBERS""""" AND THE SPONSERS WOULD HAVE TO COME BACK.......

I MEAN HELL WHY PAY SOMEONE TO PROMOTE YOUR PRODUCT WHEN YOU CAN GET SOME GOOFY JOBBER TO TALK ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT FOR FREE........, HELL THESES JOBBERS EVEN SPEND THERE OWN MONEY ON T-SHIRTS.....JERSEYS.....WRAPS.....(ECT) JUST TO TRY AND LOOK GOOD.......

THINGS ARE SPUN WAY OUT OF CONTROL......... ITS A WHOLE BUNCH OF THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED........

BUT HELL IF YOU LOVE IT JUST DO IT FOR THE FUN............THATS WHAT I SAY..........
HELL YEAH!!! 100% agree... sparkly boats that match the truck and the jersey.. and the hat and the rain suit!! its a fashion show out there.. well more like a clown show :shock: :lol: :lol:
is that glitter!? Nice boat tinkerbell!
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Ceaser wrote:
Phil Burgess wrote:I see the word sponsorship being thrown around.........

HELL YEAH!!! 100% agree... sparkly boats that match the truck and the jersey.. and the hat and the rain suit!! its a fashion show out there.. well more like a clown show :shock: :lol: :lol:
Jersey Jobbers :lol:

Yep--when did it become cool to aspire to become a gaudy walking billboard in a clownsuit instead of just aspiring to become a hot stick minus all the bombast?

"Hey, look at me: I'm wearing all these dorky logos when I have no real business obligations with them. I talk up product for a few bags of worms at 10% off and I even paid $$$ out of my own pocket to have my boat wrapped!"

Even the float tubers are following suit with the clownsuits! :roll:
bass king

Post by bass king »

bwahahaha....

this is some funny shi7.

i do agree about the jerseys and "logos" tho...the few tournys i've fished, i wear jeans/shorts and a blank shirt....i actually don't own any fishing related clothes or have any interest pimping someone else's fishing-related product at a fishing event or on a weigh-in stage, especialllyyyyyy if you're not getting paid to do it.
badbass25

Post by badbass25 »

I haven't fished a tournament in almost 10 years, but that simply has to do with the fact that this sport is EXPENSIVE! Just a fun day of fishing can cost an arm and a leg. I only get to go fun fishing a few times a year. Lately I've been hitting up golf ponds after dark to get my fix. If I could afford to fish a tournament, I would, regardless of the cost.

With that said... Has anyone else been paying attention to BASSFEST? Last year they drew 231 boats! When was the last time that a tournament in CA drew those kind of numbers? I certainly don't know but I'm sure someone does! It certainly screams that something was being done right. I'm curious as to how this years event will do and hope that it does well, if not better. For $50 I was honestly considering fishing it as that isn't much and to me it is more about the competition than anything else.

I'd rather fish against 200 with a the top prize being a trophy and a hat than to win against 10 and get $10,000.

People need to be given what they want... and what it looks to be is lower cost tournaments.

Is $50 the perfect number? I certainly don't know, maybe $100 would be it, but it could be more. Make the events open to all. To hell with the restrictions on who can fish it. The "Pro" teams won't be as interested in fishing it because they are chasing the big payoffs, but they are in the minority. More people are interested in the competition with the potential to win some money.

The rest is mostly a rant/observation and little off topic...

I've spent a large part of the past 3 years playing lots of poker (3 to 5 nights per week, mostly in a bar league) and the similarities between the two are surprising. After the poker boom in 2003 (Chris Moneymaker won WSOP Main Event) everyone and their mom wanted to get their hands into the poker business. Card rooms opened everywhere, both online and brick and mortar, and players were flooded with options. Some of those have stayed open and are flourishing and many have closed or are closing. Sadly some of those that closed were around well before the BOOM, but couldn't' compete (or were doing illegal things). Much like in the Bass industry there was a BOOM in 2003 after Iaconelli won the Classic (maybe not a big BOOM, but a boom nonetheless), even though the industry may have been having issues before that (I'm not really sure as I was a kid). More recently the economy has tanked and both of these extra-curricular activities have suffered greatly.

Even though the cost of Fishing a typical tournament far outweighs the cost of a typical poker tournament, the time and effort needed to be put into these activities to become competitive isn't that much different. If you want to be GOOD you have to COMPETE! At any given time I can go to a card room, pay the $50 entry (low cost compared to the $10k main event), and possibly sit down next to Phil Hellmuth (if he was there) or any other pro that decided to play that event, because there aren't restrictions on who can play. Playing against higher caliber players only makes you a better player. If I am scared to play against Phil Hellmuth, or any other player for that matter before I even sit down I have already lost or will be playing with the wrong mindset. The cards determine a large portion of the game and we as players, including Hellmuth, have no control over that. (I personally don't think Hellmuth to be the best player, but more people might know who he is.)

Now insert KVD and fishing into the previous scenario. If KVD or any other pro wanted to fish a FPT or BBT he should be able to. If you are scared to fish against KVD, your whole day could be shot by making fouled or missed casts, or missed opportunities, etc., because you are concerned with the wrong things. KVD has no control over the fish and cannot make them bite or not bite, It is up to you to fish your best and control that which you can and that is all you can do.

(You could possibly use the same example for racing/Nascar and probably other sports)

Sponsorship in poker is also similar in ways. Both endemic and non-endemic sponsors support the circuits (Poker has circuits too) that have the largest participation and/or following. If the circuit doesn't provide enough exposure the companies won't sponsor the circuit. If you can provide the exposure as a participant of either fishing or poker that companies are looking for, you too could be one of the few that gets picked to represent the companies or organizations.

From what I have gathered, poker tournaments seem to have biggest turnouts with entries in the $200-$300 range and there typically isn't any extra expenses to play besides traveling (150 to 250 participants). With fishing tournaments it seems to be in the $100-$200 range and that is often split between team partners and there are an extra $100-$200 in expenses (gas, oil, gear etc.) maybe even more (30 to 60 participants(not sure as I haven't been paying attention to participation). But something to note is that locally a $200-$300 poker tournament doesn't come around very often, usually on or around a holiday or maybe once a month at the most. If there was a $200 to $300 Poker tournament every week the participation would not be the same.

Card Rooms and Casino's are much like the Fishing clubs and Circuits making most of their money on participation (Card rooms don't typically make much from poker tournaments, their hope is that you will stick around and play some blackjack, slot machine, or a cash table with a rake). Where as the World Series of Poker (WSOP), World Poker Tour (WPT), typically make their money from sponsorship by providing commercials and banners and such, much like B.A.S.S. and F.L.W.. Now what we poker players consider "Home Games" would be similar to Turkey Shoots in the Fishing world.

Those that are in poker or fishing to make money, usually participate in the higher entry tournaments because of the substantial money to be won, but most of us aren't in it to make money or a living, but rather enjoy ourselves and outshine the competition with the possibility of some monetary gain.

Somewhere there is a point at which the cost of the entry, and frequency of events (the two biggest factors, in my opinion) will yield the right amount of participation. Who wants to do the math?

I have been wanting to write a blog about the similarity between the two of these activities, but with much more detail, so I hope someone enjoyed reading all of that!
"The Chase Is Better than the Catch!"
2016 Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

that last post was like reading "war and peace " , longest post ever .
Somebody send him a prize
Robb
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

"The Pro Staffer"

"Honey I'm Going To Be A Professional Bass Fisherman"

"Pro Staffer Dress Code Guidelines"
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Gary Dobyn's is spot on!
The only issue with multiple lake events today in SoCal is Quaggle mussels and that should be resolved. The lakes are booked for tournaments, just sit down and swap lakes between the regions.
Tom
DanO

Post by DanO »

Typical Westernbass.

People try to engage in a constructive discussion to try and create a dialogue to see if discourse can be opened up with organizations and the whole thing gets highjacked by jokes and ridiculing.

This is why more people don't communicate on here. They're either going to get made fun of or they'll get absolutely crushed for having an idea about something that might add to the discussion. This place used to have interaction from Ish, Skeet and several others that have perspectives that we could learn from, but they got run off by the ongoing ridiculousness.

Good job Ken, you asked a question that got some good discussion going; it's a shame that once again it had to turn into an episode of Last Comic Standing.

DanO
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

The jokes and ridicule from the peanut gallery are all valid expressions. Are they kneejerk reactions expressing disdain over certain aspects of tournament fishing and the ever increasing commercialization of the pastime? Maybe.

The snarkiness could also be a natural reaction. I'd like to think Jason Lucas would sneer at the state of bass fishing in much the same manner if he were alive today.
Chad Martin

Post by Chad Martin »

You know Dan I think you are right on the money! Ken posted a great question and you can tell from the responses the guys that fish tournaments of all kinds! Turkey shoots, club tourneys, specialty events, night tourneys, and all the pro-ams! I've been fishin out here for over 20 years and I put my money on the line all the time. I compete for the the thrill, the money, the bragging rights, and just the mere love of the sport! I've donated and won and it never gets old. I am competing against the fish, not some individual! And the same anglers that I have competed against for 20 years that do well could care less who shows up as long as the fish do! Not saying that just because you don't fish tournaments you shouldn't comment, but make useful comments and those of us that put it out there rain, wind, or shine might give you more respect. It's not that we aren't the same, we are! We all love to fish! But it is a fact that a tournament angler has a different mindset! And that mindset leads us to excel past just goin fishin, and not competing for whatever reason! We will overcome whatever obstacle to make that entry fee , pay for gas and tackle and go get it on! I respect every man, woman, and child that grabs a rod to catch whatever bites. But my gosh quit bitchin, shut up grab your boat and your partner and come try to take our money!! That's tournament fishin and trash talkin!!! MAN UP!!!!
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

I see the leading response is entry fee too high. If you adjust $100 back in 1980 it's about $300 today. Entry fees are about what they have always been adjusted for inflation.
Bass anglers are a lot better today then back in past, more knowledgeable so It's takes more time on the water to understand the fishery well enough to earn a paycheck.
I am one of those anglers who no longer tournament fishes, simply not competitive due to lack of time on the water. Catching bass on weekdays is a lot easier and more enjoyable, plus out of the way from the weekend tournament boats.
If someone puts together a multiple lake SoCal schedule that includes DVL, Casitas*, Castaic, Cachuma and Isabella, I think it would be successful.
Tom
* going to take effort!
Mike Phua

Post by Mike Phua »

Chad Martins post should be voted the best of 2013!

There are those guys who always seem to have that thunder cloud over them no matter what they do. Then theres those guys who are just HATERS. Then theres those guys who just come and want to have fun and enjoy what they love to do. There seems to be a shortage now a days of Uplifting, Supportive people in this sport for some reason. For the sake of our sport I hope it turns around. I show up rain or shine all the time ready to go as long as I don't have a commitment to one of my 3 Daughters. Can not wait for the US Open as it is always time well spent with friends who I haven't seen in a while. See you guys on the water soon! MP
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I agree with Phua and Chad. I fish for the fun, the friends, the money, and the opportunity to do what I LOVE. I don't care where the tournament is or who runs it. It's for the love of the sport.

The excitement of running down the lake or river not knowing what God's gift has for you.
The Wanabepro
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Right now for me it's time and money. My job situation (federal budget cuts) is affecting my daily living. Also, I've decided I had enough with the little Custom Valco "BASSBUSTER1". When i finally get a a larger boat some day I can then possibly enjoy fishing tournaments for fun, especially when I finally retire in a few years, because then I will have more time available.
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

I never really say much on here anymore but I feel maybe I should. I fish alot of tournaments each year from bass federation to the pro-ams. There are tournaments out there for all pocketbooks. No matter how rich or poor I might become in my life you will always see me at some sort of fishing tournament. I think when everyone had more money it was easy to fish. Now that you have to save and adjust our lifestyle to be able to fish some people just give up and only fish a couple specialty tournaments each year.When it comes to the team stuff it can work when the director works hard and makes it fun. For example, oroville anglers choice drew about 45 boats at all of the tournaments this year and do you want to know why. It's because of the hard work of the Bubier family that runs it. Alot of the teams that fish it come from a long ways away because it's fun. Before Jason took over the trail it was drawing low like everywhere else but now it's a good trail that draws big numbers when everywhere else doesn't. Most of the time when you look at the results you would think it's a pro-am. So when it's fun and you're not looked at as ten more dollars in thier pocket more people will show up. The pro-ams seem to be a little different a bunch of us that fish them got together and made a list of what we want to see and gave it to won bass I just hope that they listen. Over the last five years I have seen many good fisherman disappear and not very many new faces taking thier place.
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

Travel from here is a bitch!
mike at robo

Post by mike at robo »

Can't see good enough to tie knots ........
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

mike at robo wrote:Can't see good enough to tie knots ........

That is starting to piss me off... I found polarized readers at walmart though
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Only 2 reasons I've ever quit are 1- when I was unemployed, 2- I work as a Captain, so I work every weekend- seems our local tournaments are on weekends 8)
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

mike at robo wrote:Can't see good enough to tie knots ........
so do you have Chris tie your knots when you stomp everyones butts? :lol:
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
DG

Post by DG »

2 reasons!

2 much money
2 much time
2 much travel
2 much gas
2 much BS
2 much competition
2 many rules
2 am wake up!
2 old!! :(
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><