36V + 12V charging set up?

mmalinao

36V + 12V charging set up?

Post by mmalinao »

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to charge my system. I'll start out by stating that I used to have my boat in a storage yard and had to remove all batteries, bring them home, and charge them. I recently moved and now have my boat in my driveway.

Set up:

I have 4 group 27 batteries one for the starter and 3 for a 36V trolling motor. I currently have a 3 bank charger I don't know the correct way to keep all of the wires connected so what I'm doing is disconnecting them and connecting the charger (Bass Pro) and then reconnecting then when I go fishing.

Anyone have a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Mike
-Mike Malinao
WackySenko

Re: 36V + 12V charging set up?

Post by WackySenko »

I only have 3 batteries for my 36 volt Trolling motor and the starter. I keep mine wired as they are when I am fishing. I just connect my three bank charger, one bank to each battery and let it charge. My batteries charge without any problems.
Sorry I do not have a suggestion for your 4th battery. I am planning on putting a 4th battery on board for night fishing. I just thought that I would check on the charger and when a battery is fully charged, unplug the charger - disconnect the charger from the charged battery and connect it to the 4th battery.
Please post if you come up with a better way.
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

u do not have to disconnect the cables after charging, when u pull the plug there is no electricity running through them then so nothing will happen. with only a 3 bank charger u will will have to pull one set and switch to the last battery and charge again, it wont hurt the other two charged batteries as those banks should just trickle to those. to stop the hassle buy a 4 bank when you can and just leave them all connected.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
mmalinao

Post by mmalinao »

Thanks guys. Jack, just so I'm clear. You have your batteries connected in series and have the battery charger connected to each battery and you don't have to disconnect the charger cables when running the trolling motor?

Thanks,

Mike
-Mike Malinao
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Mike,
Currently I run a four bank Battery Tender/ maintainer with quick disconnect plugs. Great for storage and home charging. However I also carry 3 20 amp chargers for tournaments, as depending on time of the year, there may not be enough time to reach a full charge.
Gotta tell ya, the tender is great.
Hope this helps
TL
FE