Lithium Ion trolling batteries

ScottyJ

Lithium Ion trolling batteries

Post by ScottyJ »

Does anyone have any recent info/experience with any 12 v Lithium ion batteries? I know some of the pros have been using them but is there any unbiased info on them? I know they are super expensive but are they worth it? The weight difference is great but are any brands better than others, do they really last that much longer than AGM batteries? Do they last longer on a charge or just the life of the battery is longer?
"Jig fish are big fish"
bassz21

Re: Lithium Ion trolling batteries

Post by bassz21 »

Yea I to have been wondering myself the same thing they better last 10 plus years for a $1000 bucks a pop then it would be worth it :shock:
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

The Lithium batteries are strong , last long and charge fast , so much lighter as well. Cost is the main factor as the Lithium is so expensive , I would like to see these batteries go down in price as time goes on as so many new products do, but the price of the Lithium may keep the price of the batteries high.
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Anyone remember which pros are running them? I wanna say Aaron martens but not sure. Would like to find out what they think about them. Those guys don't keep a boat for ten years so we won't know but supposedly the lithium Ions last that long according to manufacturers.
"Jig fish are big fish"
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

A Mart runs those batteries, light and strong and long lasting power, he can afford them I can not.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Many of the pros have had difficulties with them. Some have had charger issues,and others have had battery issues. One I know of spent as much as $4000 on his system, had an issue with one of them, sent it back for service within the first four months, and was charged $800 for repairs. He took them out of his boat.

I also learned that they have a potential for bursting under charge which can set the back end of the boat on fire.

They have benefits which seem very attractive, but I'm starting to hear mixed results.

DanO
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Good info Dan O, thanks for the input, I know you are up to date with tournnament anglers and the latest products in the bass fishing industry.
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Thanks Dan that's the kind of info I was looking for. Too bad they are so much $$$
"Jig fish are big fish"
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Aren't those the same kind of battery that caused so much trouble for Boeing?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

Optima Blue Tops...period.
RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

I've only heard what others have... Dan provides good info for those thinking about going that route...
X2 for Optima Blue Tops... long lasting charge, fast charge times, maintenance free, 4 batteries for the price of 1 of the liths.. yeah, heavy but no indications on exploding from charging.

Walker
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

DanO wrote:I also learned that they have a potential for bursting under charge which can set the back end of the boat on fire.
I think Boeing is experiencing similar issues with the lithium-ion battery system in their new 787 Dreamliner series.
bobperry

Post by bobperry »

My boss had two of them go up in smoke in his race car. I'd stay away.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

fish_food wrote:
DanO wrote:I also learned that they have a potential for bursting under charge which can set the back end of the boat on fire.
I think Boeing is experiencing similar issues with the lithium-ion battery system in their new 787 Dreamliner series.
Boeing battery issues were not related to batteries, the problem was poor connectors. Every hybrid car is using Litium Ion batteries and they are expensive. AGM's are your best choice to date for trolling motor batteries for weekend bass angers.
Tom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Oldschool wrote:
fish_food wrote:
Boeing battery issues were not related to batteries, the problem was poor connectors. Every hybrid car is using Litium Ion batteries and they are expensive. AGM's are your best choice to date for trolling motor batteries for weekend bass angers.
Tom
I had read that a wiring/connection issue was related to two 787 beacon fire incidents but another fire was positively attributed to the battery type.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The Boeing corrective action for 787 was to change the battery wire connectors, not the batteries to the best of my knowledge. We shouldn't condem lithium Ion batteries based on rumors, price is the big issue for the average bass angler.
Tom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Oldschool wrote:The Boeing corrective action for 787 was to change the battery wire connectors, not the batteries to the best of my knowledge. We shouldn't condem lithium Ion batteries based on rumors, price is the big issue for the average bass angler.
Tom
I only have a casual interest in Boeing's 787/lithium-ion battery issue so I only remember a few articles that piqued my interest. I remember reading that isolating the batteries to lessen fire damage was the main corrective action. There were also component upgrades performed but they weren't part of what FAA required:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/busin ... d=all&_r=1&
Excerpt: The Federal Aviation Administration on Friday approved Boeing’s plans to fix the plane’s lithium-ion batteries after two erupted in smoke and fire on separate planes. Boeing has deployed teams of technicians around the world to quickly install the modified batteries on the 50 jets that have been delivered so far and return them to service as soon as possible.

Investigators in the United States and Japan have still not been able to identify precisely what caused the batteries to overheat, and, in one case, ignite. Boeing’s fixes include better insulation for the batteries’ eight cells, and a stainless steel box designed to encase the batteries and contain fire and vent possible smoke or hazardous gases out of the planes. Mike Sinnett, Boeing’s chief engineer for the 787, said that the tests performed in the last month showed the batteries were now much less likely to overheat.

Boeing engineers have also made modifications to the plane’s power panels and generators, including replacing some parts and bringing components “up to the latest standards,” Mr. Sinnett said. Those changes were not linked to the battery system, and were not required by the F.A.A., he said, but they had failed in the past and caused problems before the planes were grounded.

Also:
"On January 16, 2013, the FAA issued an emergency airworthiness directive ordering all U.S.-based airlines to ground their Boeing 787s until yet-to-be-determined modifications are made to the electrical system to reduce the risk of the battery overheating or catching fire. This is the first time that the FAA has grounded an airliner type since 1979. The FAA also announced plans to conduct an extensive review of the 787's critical systems. The focus of the review will be on the safety of the lithium-ion batteries made of lithium cobalt oxide (LiCoO2). The 787 battery contract was signed in 2005, when LiCoO2 batteries were the only type of lithium aerospace battery available, but since then newer and safer types (such as LiFePO), which provide less reaction energy during thermal runaway, have become available. FAA approved a 787 battery in 2007 with nine "special conditions". A battery approved by FAA (through Mobile Power Solutions) was made by Rose Electronics using Kokam cells, but the batteries installed in the 787 are made by Yuasa.

On January 20, the NTSB declared that overvoltage was not the cause of the Boston incident, as voltage did not exceed the battery limit of 32 V and the charging unit passed tests. The battery had signs of short circuiting and thermal runaway. Despite this, on January 24 the NTSB announced that it had not yet pinpointed the cause of the Boston fire; the FAA will not allow U.S.-based Dreamliners to fly again until the problem is found and corrected. In a press briefing that day, NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hersman said that the NTSB had found evidence of failure of multiple safety systems designed to prevent these battery problems, and stated that fire must never happen on an airplane.[29] The Japan Transport Safety Board (JTSB) has said on January 23 that the battery in ANA jets in Japan reached a maximum voltage of 31 V (lower than the 32 V limit like the Boston JAL 787), but had a sudden unexplained voltage drop to near zero. All cells had signs of thermal damage before thermal runaway. ANA and JAL had replaced several 787 batteries before the mishaps. As of January 29, 2013, JTSB approved the Yuasa factory quality control while the American NTSB continues to look for defects in the Boston battery.
"

It's going to be interesting to see which type of lithium-ion battery will become widely adopted for recreational marine applications. And how long will it take for this battery technology to become affordable to hobbyist level fishermen?
dwise

Post by dwise »

Was just on the Major League Fishing website looking through the new videos when I came across Boyd Duckett talking about using lithium batteries in his rig.

Check it out here: http://www.majorleaguefishing.com/video ... P5KV&cat=0
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
drew

Post by drew »

The marine batteries are lithium iron which are more stable. I don't believe there has been any reports of these catching on fire. On the bottom left of the spec sheet it notes that they are LiFe. The link below is a FAQ on safety from Arrons sponsor.

http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/pdf/fa ... ithium.pdf