Is the Hook Closing?

Gene Buchholz

Is the Hook Closing?

Post by Gene Buchholz »

After owning The Hook for 20 years this November my wife and I have decided to close the doors at the location we are at.
The Hook Tournaments will continue. I have also pulled permits for next year.

On Thursday October 31st at 8:00am we will open our doors to sell all inventory, furniture, and fixtures. The Sale will go until December 14th or until we are sold out of every thing, there will be savings of 10%up to 75%.
You might want to be one of the first people here.

The bottom line for the decision is we are both tired and we want to spend time with our family. We lived through the construction of down town and the bad economy. We expanded into fire arms and it was the right thing to do at the time it would be even better if we could get guns and ammo. Would we entertain the thought of someone want to buy us, yes. Like I said we are just tired.

We have met thousands of people and have made just as many friends over the last 20 years and want to thank everyone for your friendship and your business.

I will continue to do trolling motor repair, sales, installations, and warranty work.

Thank You
Gene and Michelle
TRUFISH

Re: Is the Hook Closing?

Post by TRUFISH »

wow, tell me it isn't so. i am sorry to c u go. u have been a big help to alot of people and u will b missed.

thanks for all your dedication and hard work.

Timothy Venkus
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

Well I'm happy that you and Michelle are going to slow down and enjoy your family for the rest of your lives!!!!!!!! Sad to see the shop leave but life and family come first!!!!!! ENJOY!!!!!!

Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
SJL

Post by SJL »

Gene,

Thank you so much for all the great service you and your staff have provided over the years! You were always available to fishermen when they needed help and your shop was always stocked with the correct tackle. You have helped me more than once when I have been in a pinch. The Hook has always been such a huge part of Delta fishing and I am sure I speak for others when I say the Hook will be truly missed.

Best of luck to you and Michelle in the future!

Steve LaRussa
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

We tried to send letters out to everyone we could sorry if we missed some of you. You are all invited to the opening day, 1st prize give away during our close out is a gun safe.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Sad - When i first moved to California before I had my boat I made the trek from Antelope to Oakley just to go visit the famous Hook Line and Sinker that I heard so much about. I purchased over 200.00 of "Delta Baits" that I knew would just kill em on the river. My experience, as with many, is that Gene was always there to stay open an extra 1/2 hour to save our butts on two day events when our TM took a dump or open up early for tournament day and was always good for just general knowledge and conversation. The Hook was a place we visited each time out either on the river at Russo's just for a couple of Beers, baits and bologna to stopping off at the store to get that secret bait that everyone had.

I know i have not been apart of the NorCal community as long as others on this board, but Gene and Hook Staff thank you for everything that you have provided us over the years.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
whazup

Post by whazup »

The Tackle Store on the Water became a Delta icon. Living in Stockton, I only made the trip to that side of the Delta a few times, but always enjoyed stopping in, browsing around, buying a soda and watching the bass fishing activity as we sat on the dock. Always pleasant. Don't live in CA anymore but this is still sad to me. For those from Stkn, this is comparable to The Hoosier Inn closing down. Simply irreplaceable.
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
Dom

Post by Dom »

Very well said ASH !!! and DITTO!
Tight Lines Dom
Jason Milligan

Post by Jason Milligan »

Thank you Gene for fixing my MinnKota on more than one occasion...always after hours. That kind of service right on the river is irreplaceable. I wish you and your family well with whatever you do.

You guys will be missed!

I wonder how the operations will go down at next years FLW Delta event without the Hook.

Thanks,

Jason
ALPHA ANGLER
PHILS PROP
SIMMS FISHING
TANDSDVBE
LADIES MAN CUSTOM BAITS
scott h

Post by scott h »

Gene,
As it has been said I am sad to see the hook closing, I just wanted to say thank you for yours and Michelle's hard work over the years, you guys have been monumental in bass fishing not only on the delta but all up and down the west coast, on several occasions fishing tourneys out of town I would wear my hook jacket and people would approach me and talk about "The Hook" and as usual I was always proud to engage and wear my hook jacket with pride!
The hook has been a huge part of my life as a local rat since I was a kid, I used to wake up on Saturday morning and ride my bike to big break to watch the blast offs and hang out in the shop with the big dogs, and spent every hard earned penny in the bulk bins! From fishin the tourneys out of my first aluminum boat to my graduation to a fiberglass hot rod, the hook was there! It will be missed and I just wanted to saythank you for all your hard work!
Sincerely, Scott Head.

P.S.........DOES THIS MEAN YOU WILL ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO FISH NOW??? :D
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Gene and Michelle,

Thanks for always being there for us. The hardest part as time goes by is watching all the icon's pass away, seeing all the changes as we get older and seeing the economy do what it has done to hard working folks like you. I hope your new life finds happiness and good health. "it aint over... just a new chapter"
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Bill Swearingen

Post by Bill Swearingen »

Wow...I just learned of your closing Gene, after returning from a long business travel trip. Of course I'm very sad to hear the news, but at the same time very happy for you and Michelle! I know this decision must be the best for you and your family.
You have been such an important part of the fishing community for so long and on so many fronts. A very close personal friend of mine for sure! Going back to the old "Hook" Big Break days when you bought the store from Bobby and Al before him. You have repaired our trolling motors and electronics and supplied us with great tackle and at a fare price...always working to be on the cutting edge with selection and getting us what we needed for fun and tournaments. You were always running hard to help so many people with their boat and tackle issues...non stop. Yes...it's time for you and Michelle to take a much deserved break and enjoy your family and the new restaurant!
Speaking for myself...and, I'm sure many hundreds of others Gene...THANK YOU!!! While our friendship will last forever, they'll never be another Hook Line & Sinker...with all of the great memories that go along with it!

Best Always,

Bill Swearingen
Mike

Post by Mike »

Bill Swearingen wrote:Wow...I just learned of your closing Gene, after returning from a long business travel trip. Of course I'm very sad to hear the news, but at the same time very happy for you and Michelle! I know this decision must be the best for you and your family.
You have been such an important part of the fishing community for so long and on so many fronts. A very close personal friend of mine for sure! Going back to the old "Hook" Big Break days when you bought the store from Bobby and Al before him. You have repaired our trolling motors and electronics and supplied us with great tackle and at a fare price...always working to be on the cutting edge with selection and getting us what we needed for fun and tournaments. You were always running hard to help so many people with their boat and tackle issues...non stop. Yes...it's time for you and Michelle to take a much deserved break and enjoy your family and the new restaurant!
Speaking for myself...and, I'm sure many hundreds of others Gene...THANK YOU!!! While our friendship will last forever, they'll never be another Hook Line & Sinker...with all of the great memories that go along with it!

Best Always,

Bill Swearingen

Well said Bill. We are the last of a dying breed. Ahhhhh... The Good Days...
OG on WB since 1993