FYI Boat Trailer Info

cruizer

FYI Boat Trailer Info

Post by cruizer »

Hey guys just spent bout $275 for a new axle,bearings,seals, etc. misc. parts. Blew out my inner and outer bearings coming home from BBT Oroville TOC 3 weekends ago and damaged spindle on axle. Now I found out that boat trailer bearings need to be serviced once a year. Bearings spin and create heat , then you back into the water and cools off grease instantly. This causes grease to break down faster. Generally you don't have to replace bearings and races, you just have to clean bearings,spindles,hubs,(remove and clean off old grease). Repack bearings and replace seals(new ones) a $15 job if you do it yourself. B&D Trailer charges $90. IT"S IMPORTANT
mark poulson

Re: FYI Boat Trailer Info

Post by mark poulson »

Heat is the problem with oil bath bearings on boat trailers, too.
When you back a trailer into cold water after hauling to the lake, the quick cooling of the oil in the trailer bearings can cause lower pressure inside the bearing's oil bath chamber, and potentially suck in water. The oil level looks okay, but it's got more and more water in it, and that can cause rust, and bearing and spindle failure.
It happened to me in 2011.
These bearings may be great for truck trailers that never get submerged, but not for boat trailers.
If you have oil bath bearings on your trailer, change the oil every six months, and watch for signs of water intrusion.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

excellent post , thanks for sharing .
I have often thought of what could/would happen with those bearings . Additionally , why ? Good explanation.
I just noticed for light grey grease material coming out from the rubber center cover the is on top of the metal cap , looks like it has some water content .
will examine them , clean , re-pack .
Thanks again for posting,
Robb
Basslab

Post by Basslab »

Trust me, after just spending over $300 on my tandem axle trailer for all new bearings last week, I have committed to putting my trailer service on the same schedule as my annual motor servicing since they are only minutes apart. Yes, we do tend to neglect the simple things that we MUST depend on to get that boat to and from the water. Be good to her.....she'll be good to you!
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

ttt.
Last edited by fishwithron2 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

After I had a bearing seize, and a $200 flatbed tow from the lagoon to Gideon's, a mile at the most, I upgraded my AAA membership to RV towing, for another $90 a year. Cheap insurance.
CLEAN AND DRY
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

Mark,

You need to check on your RV towing. AAA will reimburse $300.00 RV towing ONLY if you sign up with their Premier pk. The other two membership Reg and the Plus does not cover RV towing. The premier membership is $119 p/year and the plus is $91.00 p/year. I know because I had the Plus before and had use their towing twice which they no longer do. I updated to the Premier and $28 p/year is cheap ins as I tow my boat about 80 miles r/t. Use that service once in 10 years and your still ahead on cost.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Thanks Ron. I will check it out.
CLEAN AND DRY