Casitas After Action Report for 2/8

Kelly Ripa

Casitas After Action Report for 2/8

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I fished Casitas this weekend during Rich Tauber's WON tournament. I blasted off before the tournament guys and went and found a decent place to hide. I stayed away from anyplace I have been presently fishing as I had a dog in the race. Well I did a great job of staying out of every bodies way and proceeded to have a rough morning :lol: . But over the course of my morning and observations of other boats all was not well anywhere else it seemed because I didn't see anybody run'n for a net and while I was full of ideas I couldn't convert them into bites :( . The fish were there but not wanting to eat for me. Since someone gave me a gift certificate for the cafe I pulled in and took a break at noon. In the course or ordering,waiting ,being served, and wolfing down my food I noticed a boat that looked to be camped on a spot. When I left the marina I drove over to a stretch of water to the side of these anglers and started the afternoon off with a nice 4 pounder on a dropshot. As I continued along the bank I had a boat pull in effectively blocking me in between the two boats. I just kept fishing the used water infront of me until this team started to move down the bank in the direction I was originally headed. So I kept a very respectful distance behind them and caught 3 more 2+pounders over the next 2 hours. I watched the team I had high hopes for burn by me and go fish an area in the last hour of the tournament that I certainly would have approved of. I drove in at three to see how they had done. They had caught two 5 pound fish but the rest of the limit was not going to get them better than mid pack in a respectful turn out of SoCal Sticks. I'm writing this after action report because of what happened over the course of the last 2 hours of the evening. I had learned from my friends what had worked and what hadn't for them. Most importantly I confirmed where they had spent their last hour of the tournament. I went straight to where my friends were throwing the same baits as myself and started fishing. In the first pocket I fished I caught a 4 pounder in shallow water where I had been fishing most of my day. The next pocket yielded the same result. Then the cloud cover that had threaten rain the last few hours sucked it up and it started to drizzle.. :wink: ..And I started to drool because the fish I had been looking for all day showed up by the truck full. It was an epic evening and I felt bad for the guys who had fished so hard all day and missed out by some mere minutes on some of the best fishing I've had in many moons. No fish over 5 pounds but all hard pull'n 4's and 5's. I am in awe at how many fish moved in so short a time span. In retrospect I remember fishing tournaments and worrying about fishing behind other anglers only to discover it was just one less thing to worry about. Congratulations to the winning father/son team that caught $2000 on spoons in 35 feet.Niiiice job :mrgreen:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Bass Obsessed

Re: Casitas After Action Report for 2/8

Post by Bass Obsessed »

Spoons were working a few weeks ago when I was visiting the area from the east coast. I can't wait to get back there again.