ASPCA

Bob Williams

ASPCA

Post by Bob Williams »

Not sure this is where this belongs but here goes.I was looking around other sites and went to Ultimate bass to see what was going on .I was very surprised to see they are taking advertising from the ASPCA.Now am I wrong are they not against hunting fishing or any kind of animal use?I thought it odd that a fishing web site would take money from that type of organization.If I am right I don't think I will frequent that site as long as they support an animal rights group.What do you think?
Grape Ape

Re: ASPCA

Post by Grape Ape »

Bob,
I have never heard such a thing about the ASPCA. I'm not associated with the ASPCA, but do support them and donate regularly, due to my love for dogs. Here is their mission: The ASPCA works nationally to rescue animals from abuse, pass humane laws and share resources with many shelters across the country. I don't see anything in there, nor have I ever seen or heard anything, about fishing and hunting.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
davet.

Post by davet. »

You're confusing the ASPCA with PETA.
ASPCA rescues and places animals with caring homes. One of my labs came from there. They are good people, we support them, attend their fund raisers, etc. So if you like dogs, cats, horses, etc., then help support them.
Now for PETA, these are the wack nuts that are against ALL forms of using animals for anything. That includes hunting, fishing, furs, laboratory food and drug research, etc.
They aim wacko propaganda at children, saying your hunting or fishing fathers are murderers, yet forget that many of the meds that keep many of them alive (insulin is just one) are derived or perfected from animal research.
Last edited by davet. on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

that"s correct . ASPCA has an excellent record of staying within their mission statement .
as for PETA , just a large group of mostly very liberal lawyers who can't , won't or don"t find
jobs doing actual "work" for an income. They spend way to much time dreaming up ways to play on the sympathies of the weak minded and get donations and government and certain rich individuals money to sell a legal position.
the real sad part is these liberal jags think they are truly doing only what the majority of people really want ? shows how bad a "legally driven " democracy can run amuck .
to many lawyers in this country with to much time on their hands .
robb
Bob Williams

Post by Bob Williams »

I just noticed ASPCA is also advertises here as well.All I would request is take the time to google for any connection between these organizations.I think if you do this you might be surprised.OH I also am a Dog Lover had them my whole life I am 70 now .I hope the Wayne will also take a look at google.You know their in the Dept. Of fish and Game now NO fish planting.Google ASPCA court case and Ringling Brothers they lost 9.3 million there Hsus also involved in that suite.Do the research Befor you support.
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

A 5 second goggle search showed that the ASPCA is Anti-Hunting, it's right there on Thier website..
Nothing about fishing though
HSUS is against both hunting and fishing, like PETA
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
frank

Post by frank »

Google the percentage of donations that actually make it to shelters. If you want to give, give to your local shelter directly. If you give to the general organization very little makes it to the actual shelters.
adman

Post by adman »

You will notice that the UF takes GREAT care of the fish as reflected by their rules: Fish not to touch carpet, must be released below the gunnel (as opposed to standing and just tossing the fish usually tail first putting abnormal pressure on the gills), weigh and release not spending the day in live wells. So it makes sense they should team with ASPCA because the represent a like-minded approach to care of critters.

I have grown disgusted with the growing trend amongst the so-called pro's bouncing fish in the boat letting them flop around on the floor while the supposed pro does his self-congratulatory dance and whoopy-do.

Before any knucklehead decides to tell me go back to my PETA friends, I am a tournament fisherman, love it, have won a few, I'm no nutcase but it seems to me the sport could and should show a more responsible attitude about our opponents. Of course none of this applies to anyone on this board, just the other guys, right?
longshot

Post by longshot »

Couldn't agree more with adman, I have no problem with people catching, killing, eating fish or game in any way but to mistreat another living creature for really no reason is just plain stupid.
They should have stricter rules in place for tournaments and fish handling. It's to bad that people have to be regulated so much and I'm against it in so many ways but really people suck!
Bob Williams

Post by Bob Williams »

Seems like my original question has gone in the direction of fish rights ,kind of interesting.I wonder why that happened? I guess we could go with that.While I do not like to see Bass take a trip to the carpet.I would be more concerned about a hook thru the head than a flop on a carpet if their well fair was of concern.The question seems to keep being diverted.Should Western Bass and other Bass site carry their advertising.I cannot tell someone who to take advertising from all I will say is Befor you buy into their crap do a little research,it's all there go to you tube or google you will be surprised.DON't be fooled ASPCA,HSUS,PETA are all the same just painted a different color. go to ASPCA verses Ringling Brothers Circus you will see how they give support to each other.
adman

Post by adman »

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I didn't realize it was really meant as an opening for you to rant against the various animal welfare groups. Now I understand why you weren't sure where to post: it doesn't concern fishing at all but those bad people at ASPCA, PETA and the others you list.

While the arguments for and against those groups can and do go on forever, I hope we don't fill this fishing board with them. And I reiterate my concern about fish care as it pertains to fishing and specifically tournament fishing.

And as an aside pertaining to your somewhat veiled suggestion that this or any board or fishing organization should not align itself with, in this instance, the ASPCA, can you imagine the perception of our sport if the ASPCA came out with a statement that they were refused the opportunity to advertise or sponsor the FLW or BASS or _______________? We must really be a bunch of soulless sob's torturing the fish for sport. Not good.
Bob Williams

Post by Bob Williams »

My original post was not to create an opertunity to rant.I think the question was clear enough.I believe the rant started with you.I would agree this could be an endless argument ,wasn't looking for that,Only asking a question SOOO what's the point except for you and I to continue throwing cheap shots at each other.Let's just agree to Disagree! Let it die , no one else seems interested.
jack morris

Post by jack morris »

We as outdoorsmen should not send our money to any orgs. who are anti-hunting. If they are anti-hunting now, anti- fishing is likely to be next these orgs. and the people who back them ( in some cases are anti-gun) are out to stop all hunting and fishing. Just my thoughts Jack
davet.

Post by davet. »

.....as the black helicopters buzz my house to spy on me at night. I know they want to take all my guns, give the mexicans all our jobs (I missed out on a great landscaping gig).
Good thing I have on a tin foil helmet or my thoughts would be intercepted and downloaded on a hard drive by the TSA, FAA, NSA, EIEIO, etc..
Boy, talk about hijacking a thread!! :D
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!
DG

Post by DG »

Took the below paragraph right off the ASPCA Facebook page.

The ASPCA is opposed to hunting animals for sport, even if the animals killed in this way are subsequently consumed. The ASPCA does recognize that wildlife management may be necessary in situations where animal and human interests collide, but urges that management strategies be nonlethal wherever possible and never include avoidable suffering or distress.

I agree that fishing could be next. Although not as "wacky" as PETA these folks are dangerous to our freedom to own guns, hunt, and possibly fish. If we only take a stand on fishing and not one on hunting, can we expect support from the hunters when we are threatened??????? Don't kid :shock: :shock: yourself if you think they're not going to come after us someday! I cannot believe that any organization that supports hunting and fishing would take a dime from them for advertising.
"And Jesus said unto them,come ye after me and I will make you become fishers of men"
<+}}}><
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The best protection for both animals and fish is habitat protection. That means no housing encroachment into the foothills, no water pollution from factory and farm runoff, no cutting up of wild areas for huge housing developments.
Of course, all of those things that degrade our wildlife are money making propositions, providing the political contributions for lawmakers, and are sacred cows.
Money talks, we the taxpayers walk.
And remember, every time a rich person or company makes a charitable contribution, and takes a tax writeoff for it, we have to make up for the taxes they don't pay.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY