Question on re-carpeting a 18'2" boat

birdi23nls

Question on re-carpeting a 18'2" boat

Post by birdi23nls »

My uncle is going to buy new carpet for his boat( no seats)It is a nitro 18'2" boat. He was quoted $1750. Is that a fair price or can it be done cheaper. If so, who should he call. We are from the Modesto area. Any help is most appreciated.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
GW

Re: Question on re-carpeting a 18'2" boat

Post by GW »

way to much if he is buying the carpet.
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

i did MY 18'4" CHAMP myself and bought Bass Boat carpet for around $250.00,glue and ect total under $300.00 There were 8 lids ,deck and floor to do. Took me less than aweek in the evening about 1 1/2 hour each nite( slowly) to do. Just save as much as your ole carpet to use as a pattern. Bass Boat carpet suggest to buy more then the size to avoid coming up short. I bought 23' of their best grade.
You can expect to pay $750.00 and up for labor to have someone do it. There is a guy around your area who does carpets and maybe someone has his name and number.
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

That price includes buying carpet. It still seemed a little high to me. If any does know someone to call, that also would be awesome.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
knight

Post by knight »

Hold up! I re-did the carpet on my 86' Champ for about a hundred bucks. $50.00 for the carpet from Cabelas, $25.00 for the carpet glue at Home Depot, rivets and gun for $25.00 more and Dollar Tree clamps to hold it in place while they dry. Pretty easy to do. Just make sure you pull the carpet out in the same manner it is applied. You'll need it for a template. Good Luck

Gonna re-do mine now after like 5 yrs of wear. I put cheap indoor/outdoor carpet the last time, but I have the boat carpet now.
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

I did my own carpet two years ago. Its a lot of work if you want it done right and want it to last. I striped all the old glue with a chisel and a final clean up with acetone. I wanted to be sure I had the best possible bond to the hull. If I remember correctly It took me about a full weekend to strip old glue and a full day to do the rug. Over 30 hours. I wouldn't do it again for what your guy quoted you. To do it right and clean its a lot of work. 196 Champion. 9 lids . Also spent some time doing a little glass work in the pit to smooth out the floor a bit.
This summer I want to powder coat the trailer and put stainless fenders on . Any tips or tricks on how to dry dock the boat off the trailer and put back on ?
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

I did my own carpet two years ago. Its a lot of work if you want it done right and want it to last. I striped all the old glue with a chisel and a final clean up with acetone. I wanted to be sure I had the best possible bond to the hull. If I remember correctly It took me about a full weekend to strip old glue and a full day to do the rug. Over 30 hours. I wouldn't do it again for what your guy quoted you. To do it right and clean its a lot of work. 196 Champion. 9 lids . Also spent some time doing a little glass work in the pit to smooth out the floor a bit.
This summer I want to powder coat the trailer and put stainless fenders on . Any tips or tricks on how to dry dock the boat off the trailer and put back on ?
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Last edited by Ron T. on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.