HELP ON BOAT SIZE BATTERIES

GEORGE D.

HELP ON BOAT SIZE BATTERIES

Post by GEORGE D. »

got a questioned im going to up grade my trolling motor from from a 67 pound thrust to 82 pound is my 27 size batteries going to be ok or should I try to go up one size on the batteries thanks george
fishwithron2

Re: HELP ON BOAT SIZE BATTERIES

Post by fishwithron2 »

Alot depend on size of your boat. Go with a 27 is good, 29 is better and 31 is best.
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

George,

Optima group 31 is really worth looking at! RR
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

If you already have 27's give them a shot and see how they perform. Might depend on the quality of the battery and how much life is left in them. Bigger(heavier) is better when it comes to batteries. My boat has all 31's. Regular wet cells seem to be the most cost effective for the trolling motor. Spend your money on the highest quality cranking battery when that time comes.
Dleue

Post by Dleue »

Here is something to think about when it comes to trolling motors and batteries. A 24 volt trolling motor pulls over 50 amps an hr. A 36 volt pulls under 20 amps an hr. And has a lot more power. If you have the storage in your boat for 4 batteries (you still need battery for the big motor) I suggest bypassing the 24 volt completely and getting a 36 volt. You'll be happier in the long run. Group size 31 batteries have the best amps per hour rating, and agree that's the battery to buy. It will totally support the 24 volt trolling motor for all day fishing but will need to be charged after every time you go out on the water. Hope this helps your thinking and future fishing.
GEORGE D.

Post by GEORGE D. »

thank you
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Measure your battery trays before buying larger sizes, they may need to be changed.
Think about AGM types when buying new batteries and look closely at the Optimum Blue top warranty when used for trolling motors. Group 27 good for cranking, 31 for trolling motors. A group 31 weighs about 10 lbs more than your 27.
Tom