Rancho Saco

bass smacker

Rancho Saco

Post by bass smacker »

Any one ever fish Rancho Saco lake? I was thinking about heading over there and renting a boat. 8)
bass smacker

Re: Rancho Saco

Post by bass smacker »

Any tips or suggestion would be great. I was thinking of using a spinnerbait or frog maybe toss a senko around the dam. Just never been there before an am hoping for a few tips..... :roll:
george

Post by george »

Hey Bass Smacker,

I have never fished Rancho Seco but I have seen some post here over the years of folks who have!
I would probably go with the fundamentals; senko, drop shot, frog and see what happens! From what I remember the water stays a little warmer in that pond so the reaction and top water bite may be good!

Try a spook or Whopper Plopper as well as continuous moving toad or Rage frog; I am thinking someone posted a couple teens taken from that lake some years ago!

Good Luck,

George
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I have not fished the lake for several years now, but I know it well! I believe the lake still has only pure Florida strain largemouth - at least it did. The spring is always the most popular time of year to fish it. Rancho Seco really weeds up in the summer and fall. The last time I was there, about 5 years ago, I fished from one of the fishing platforms on the north side. I was throwing a Storm Chug Bug around the weed and landed a 6 1/4 plus some smaller ones. That was in August! My biggest there was also on a topwater - Devil's Horse, at the edge of a weedbed. She went 9 lbs even. Topwater, Buzz baits, and large ripbaits should work early and late. I would also use a 6" Senko - weightless - non-wacky. Fish it straight. Don't use real light line either - you may be very sorry!!
TritonBrent

Post by TritonBrent »

Hit up gman here on wb. He fishes there alot and has claimed to have caught multiple fish over 10 lbs.

Good luck
bass smacker

Post by bass smacker »

So i went :) sad to say the boat rental place is closed until late in the morning. But i made the best of it and poked around all morning. I seen alot of nice size fish lake is clear as a bell with very few weeds right now. I had zero luck though. I've never fished a lake like that before (really havent fished many lakes) It was worth my time just to get out there and enjoy the sunshine
thanks for all the advice will be going back soon