I need Lowrance hds help

hawghunter

I need Lowrance hds help

Post by hawghunter »

I need some help. I am looking into putting 2 hds 10s on my boat. My question is how many structure scans do I need to buy? I believe I saw that you can hook up to 3 units to 1 structure scan box but that's to one transducer right? I would like to be able to run my console unit off the back transducer but I don't want my front deck unit to read off that same back transducer. Will I need 2 structure scans to be able to have 2 separate transducers for side scan, 1 for under the transom and 1 for my trolling motor? I want my front graph to read off a trolling motor transducer. Is it possible to have down and side scan on the bow unit?Hopefully some of you Lowrance geniuses can help me out with this. I want this set up to be perfect.

Thanks,
Brandon
george

Re: I need Lowrance hds help

Post by george »

Hawghunter,

Post this on the Lowrance page and Ken will get to it fairly quick, he may not see it here! Are you dead set on Lowrance? I got a chance to fish with Scott Sweet at the Anglers Marine Night event and the Hummingbird Units he had were crazy good and seemed pretty easy to use. He took me through a minor tutorial on it and when I buy next time I will be looking at the Hummingbird units.

George
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

You will need one structure scan box which will come with one structure transducer. You will be able to run ethernet cords from the structure scan box to both units, but the units will only read the structure scan transducer. So, you either have to buy two transducers or settle with looking either behind or in front of you.
The Wanabepro
hawghunter

Post by hawghunter »

That's what I was thinking can the structure transducer be mounted on the trolling motor?
hawghunter

I need lowrance hds help

Post by hawghunter »

I need some help. I am looking into putting 2 hds 10s on my boat. My question is how many structure scans do I need to buy? I believe I saw that you can hook up to 3 units to 1 structure scan box but that's to one transducer right? I would like to be able to run my console unit off the back transducer but I don't want my front deck unit to read off that same back transducer. Will I need 2 structure scans to be able to have 2 separate transducers for side scan, 1 for under the transom and 1 for my trolling motor? I want my front graph to read off a trolling motor transducer. Is it possible to have down and side scan on the bow unit?Hopefully some of you Lowrance geniuses can help me out with this. I want this set up to be perfect.

Thanks,
Brandon
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Yes it can but it is not the best place if you only have one. It only sense if you have two transducers. Being that you wont be able to use structure scan while driving if you have it only on the trolling motor. A
The Wanabepro
rickyshabazz

Re: I need lowrance hds help

Post by rickyshabazz »

Yes.
The Wanabepro
hawghunter

Post by hawghunter »

I would get 2 so I can have side scan on both tolling motor and console units. Anyone know any good shops around the delta near brentwood?
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

I would suggest CC Marine or Delta Bait/Tackle
The Wanabepro
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Come to our grand reopening this week end a lowrance rep will be here.
hawghunter

Post by hawghunter »

Thanks gene I'll be there
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

If you are set on having SS up front, I'd get a Touch unit. Then you can connect the transducer directly into the unit. The price of a 9T with Structure is probably comparable to a 10 with LSS2.

NoCAL
Nick Gregg

Post by Nick Gregg »

I run 2 HDS 10's on my boat, one on the bow, one at the console, with an LSS2 on the transom, and everything connected with Ethernet. I originally wanted to have structure scan on both the back and front, but I found out the LSS2 transducer is like, a foot long, which seemed to just be a hassle to mount to my trolling motor along with a regular sonar puck. So I decided to look into what Ken Sauret suggested (which was the same setup he was using at the time) and find a LSS1 to mount on the trolling motor since the transducer is half the size. This would mean I would have to find room for another structure scan box and the added confusion for me as to how I would still be able to connect everything with Ethernet to share waypoints. I decided to wait on the dual structure scan and im glad I did.

The main problem with the structure scan as far as it being mounted on your trolling motor, is that you have to be moving in order for it to work, otherwise the picture is just a big smudge and all blurry. The structure scan on the transom works out great because if I idle past something that looks good, I can use my cursor on my HDS to mark exactly where the structure is, and then turn around and start fishing it, the waypoints update to the front graph in real time and are actually placed in relation to where the HDS unit is located, so if i make a waypoint from the console graph, I dont have to try and cast 12 ft from the waypoint showing up on the bow graph, if that makes sense. Not to mention, if you are vertical fishing, the standard HDS sonar is outstanding, and if i try to switch to the down scan to see the same school of fish, its just a blob of blur on the screen!

You will be more than happy with just one LSS2 mounted to the transom of your boat. It will save you money and you'll find that using regular sonar (assuming you understand what you are looking at) from the bow will actually give you a better picture of whats going on below you. Although, Lowrance did just come out with that 'Spotlight Scan' that seems very intriguing for a trolling motor mount application...
hawghunter

Post by hawghunter »

Yeah that makes sense thanks for the advice and I'll check out that spotlight!!
Dynastyworms

Post by Dynastyworms »

Hawg,

I agree with nick. You don't need two LSS units on your boat.
This is what I run
HDS 12 with LSS-2, point1, temp sensor, live well temp sensor, fuel sensor on dash and HDS 7touch with spotlight on TM and connected with enet and NMEA

Remember iCast starts tomorrow. I'm sure there will be some cool new products intro'd