Gamakatsu Swivel Shot?

Grape Ape

Gamakatsu Swivel Shot?

Post by Grape Ape »

Has anyone tried these yet? What is your opinion? I haven't yet, but immediately thought that the cost, $2 + a piece, may not be worth it.
Attachments
GSSF-1.jpg
GSSF-1.jpg (38.66 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
george

Re: Gamakatsu Swivel Shot?

Post by george »

Just think about how many times you hang up and break off drop shotting! You could end up spending twenty bucks in a days fishing just on these hooks. Great idea but could be a costly venture!
I will stick with tying my own set up!

George
Levy

Post by Levy »

No reason to pay or use this IMO. Just use small braid to a floro leader and you are set. More sensative and much cheaper without line twist. Plus the braid lasts forever.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I think it depends on your dropshot rig and the application. For more shallow environments, I think it is debatable if one should pay the price. I use braid/fluoro and the need to avoid line twist is not as significant.

For deep environments common up north (Oroville, Shasta, etc) where people are dropshotting to 50-90 ft., I personally found a few things. First, using braid/fluoro leader doesn't work real well and having only fluoro is the better way to go. Second, line twist is far more common unless your bait is perfectly square to the hook. Also, line twist with all fluoro forces you to mess with your line at the end of the day and/or put new line on. In these environments, this hook is ideal and fantastic.

Lastly, it depends on how much money is on the line. If you are fishing a big tournament and have the ability to pre-rig your dropshot rigs for $15 and save 20-30 minutes on the water to win a sizable tournament, it is a small investment. If you are fun fishing or a club tournament, probably not worth it.

Hope that helps...
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

nice idea did not work for me. Change your weight shapes depending on the cover you are fishing and use Seguar, really minimizes break offs :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
M3AN Bass

Post by M3AN Bass »

I've used them quite a bit. They are OK, however if the water is very clear or the fish are at all spooky it's just a bit too much hardware. I was getting seriously out fished by a buddy on my boat even though we were both dropshotting the same roboworms. As soon as a switched hooks I started catching. You should take a look at VMCs spinshot hooks same idea but a smaller profile.