Boat storage in the garage

birdi23nls

Boat storage in the garage

Post by birdi23nls »

I have a 19'6" trition. The boat fits in my garage but I have about 4 or 5 inchs to spare. This is with the motor resting on the transom saver with takes up another 9-12 inches. It does have a jake plate. I measured the other day and from the corner off garage to the door is 25 feet. I am wanting to purchase a longer and wider boat. It seems like some boats have a break away tounge that is further back than my trition, but that is just eye balling it. My question is--can I fit a z20 ranger in my garage without spending an hour changing angles or is it to tight? Z8 nitro? Trition 20x? Other suggestions? It does suck that I have to base the size of my boat in the size of my garage but that is the reality.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.
Jared
e-mail: Birdi23nls@aol.com

www.mayhemlures.com
smokenflames

Re: Boat storage in the garage

Post by smokenflames »

I see you live in Turlock. I can help you with the Triton 20x. I'll bring mine by and see if it will fit. Or at least measure it with break away tongue. Let me know if I can help out. Mark
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

I can bring by my 21-6 Ranger with folding front if that would help in anyway. The dual axle trailer makes it a little harder to move around. Other options are to modify your garage door and purchase the boat you want. I had considered this before but most folks do not like the looks of a trailer sticking out the garage door panel :)
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Had the same issue years ago when I was looking at my Triton TR21. Had measured a multitude of times and plotted on graph paper. Thought it would fit, but couldn't know for sure.

Mike Wagner (Galaxie at the time) had a pro staffer Tom Coss drag his boat from Pleasanton to Newark to put his in my garage. It fit and I bought the boat.

You won't feel confident until you see one actually fit.

BTW you didn't mention the depth from closed garage door to back wall. IIRC the two back corners would touch the the back and side wall before the motor would hit the corner. Motor was down.

A tandem will be tougher to push sideways, but there are many tricks to accomplish this. I never had a problem.
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Thanks for the information, and yes, the wife is not going to go for the hole in the panel of the door. :D
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Scott L wrote:Had the same issue years ago when I was looking at my Triton TR21. Had measured a multitude of times and plotted on graph paper. Thought it would fit, but couldn't know for sure.

Mike Wagner (Galaxie at the time) had a pro staffer Tom Coss drag his boat from Pleasanton to Newark to put his in my garage. It fit and I bought the boat.

You won't feel confident until you see one actually fit.

BTW you didn't mention the depth from closed garage door to back wall. IIRC the two back corners would touch the the back and side wall before the motor would hit the corner. Motor was down.

A tandem will be tougher to push sideways, but there are many tricks to accomplish this. I never had a problem.
The tandem trailer is a problem. I have a tandem trailer now and it is very hard to move at an angle.
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Check these out!

$305.00 free shipping.
carguygarage.com/car-dolly.html
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
scott h

Post by scott h »

Rich hamilton wrote:I can bring by my 21-6 Ranger with folding front if that would help in anyway. The dual axle trailer makes it a little harder to move around. Other options are to modify your garage door and purchase the boat you want. I had considered this before but most folks do not like the looks of a trailer sticking out the garage door panel :)
Lol,I prefer to modify the interior wall, I mean what guy wouldn't love to sit down and watch football with the Merc rite next to you! :mrgreen:
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
birdi23nls

Post by birdi23nls »

Rich hamilton wrote:Check these out!
http://youtu.be/mush3hNbnmY $305.00 free shipping.
http://www.carguygarage.com/car-dolly.html

I have a dull axel trailer. Will those work with a duel axel?

Thanks
Jared

www.mayhemlures.com
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

[quote="birdi23nls"][quote="Rich hamilton"]Check these out!
http://youtu.be/mush3hNbnmY $305.00 free shipping.
http://www.carguygarage.com/car-dolly.html[/quote]

I have a dull axel trailer. Will those work with a duel axel?

Thanks[/quote]

Check Harbor Freight their dollies are $80 each. A buddy has them and they work great on his basscat.
Trace

Post by Trace »

I have been told to store the motor in the down position. Taking it off the transom saver will get you extra space and you may be good. Ask around. Good luck.
DecissoJ

Post by DecissoJ »

I see some nice suggestions been made here and kudos to everyone who has suggested it. For a lazy dumb-*** like me, I don't think I'll be able to pull it off like what you have achieved. My wifey says I should work towards building something similar and hopefully would try(at least I've said "try") to build a similar garage for my boat. At present, I get it docked at a public storage migsonstorage.com in Toronto. Although, I find it difficult to go there to retrieve it day in day out, I feel secure that my buddy is safe and secure. Thanks for showing me the way. I'll get back to you when I've finished constructing mine.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have a Ranger 205 which is 20'5'' + a Merc 225 Opti. Trailer has a swing away. I built a 12x25 garage for it. I put the Motor down and swing the tongue and have 10" to spare.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Check out Basscat boats. Their 20' models have a relatively short overall storage length. That was one of the reasons I got one.
Yzken250x

Post by Yzken250x »

Yes Harbor freight has those Dolly's and they will work on a tandem axle trailer. I'm going to get a pair to make it easier to move around in my garage.