Swimbait/glide bait help please

brando

Swimbait/glide bait help please

Post by brando »

Hey yall I'm new here, can't seem to get any information locally on swimbaits...

Right now what I'm looking at getting is the TFO swimbait rod, unsure of reel selection yet, was contemplating an abu Garcia 6600c4 abu 5500c3 or a lews bb1

Which of these reels would be best or what rod and reel would be best? I'm trying to keep my limit to 150$ on the rod and 150$ on the reel

Which lines are best? Braid mono or fluro? And what lb test seems to produce the best action which in turn should produce more bites?

Looking at probably throwing 5-6in+ baits and if I can afford them the 12+ in baits

I'm also looking to build a fairly decent swimbait box/bag and was wanting to know what brands are awesome and which brands aren't worth a flip...

I fish mostly lakes here in Texas and water clarity varies but usually it's semi-murky with visibility to 2-3ft on most of the lakes

Sorry for all the questions, trying to learn all I can from multiple sources so I can be the most informed prior to spending all this money on a specific setup

Thanks in advance
zyangoutdoors

Re: Swimbait/glide bait help please

Post by zyangoutdoors »

My setup consist of g Loomis Imx swim bait rods.. but other choices are great. A lot of starters go with the okuma guide select and a Shimano cardiff. Both are under the 150 range each. As far as line choice I usually go with straight mono/copolymer. I'm not a big fan of braid to mono. My choice of lines are izorline xxx or pline cxx .. 20# for smaller swimbaits, 25# for 4oz-6oz and 30# for 6oz up.. my biggest swimbaits weighs about 9 oz. Hope this help
zyangoutdoors

Post by zyangoutdoors »

Also for storage... if soft bait, I usually like to use a box and hang them so the tail hangs freely . My glide baits I usually store them in pistol case
zyangoutdoors

Post by zyangoutdoors »

20150207_010755.jpg
Here's a sample of my hard bait box .
zyangoutdoors

Post by zyangoutdoors »

20150207_010847.jpg
my soft bait hox
Darth Baiter

Post by Darth Baiter »

That's just torture...
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

zyangoutdoors wrote:My setup consist of g Loomis Imx swim bait rods.. but other choices are great. A lot of starters go with the okuma guide select and a Shimano cardiff. Both are under the 150 range each. As far as line choice I usually go with straight mono/copolymer. I'm not a big fan of braid to mono. My choice of lines are izorline xxx or pline cxx .. 20# for smaller swimbaits, 25# for 4oz-6oz and 30# for 6oz up.. my biggest swimbaits weighs about 9 oz. Hope this help
X2 Okuma/Cardiff is a hard combination to beat for an affordable setup that works.
Throwing larger baits is a whole different animal than the smaller stuff, so I think it would help you choose if you actually get a chance to try a couple of setups.
Try to get someone who has that kind of setup to let you try it, so you can see how it works for you.
Even different rod and reel brands will help, because the cast on a big bait is a very different thing, and getting to do it a few times will help you figure out what you need for yourself.

If you look up Matt Allen's glide bait videos on youtube, he covers rods, reels, lines, and casts really well.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

mark poulson wrote: X2 Okuma/Cardiff is a hard combination to beat for an affordable setup that works.
Throwing larger baits is a whole different animal than the smaller stuff, so I think it would help you choose if you actually get a chance to try a couple of setups.
Try to get someone who has that kind of setup to let you try it, so you can see how it works for you.
Even different rod and reel brands will help, because the cast on a big bait is a very different thing, and getting to do it a few times will help you figure out what you need for yourself.

If you look up Matt Allen's glide bait videos on youtube, he covers rods, reels, lines, and casts really well.
Yes check out http://www.tacticalbassin.com/ for some great videos and swimbait setup, line configurations etc... To try to have one setup to cover you from 6" baits to 12" baits is a tall order, IMHO too tall of an order as for your smaller baits your going to have way too much power that you would for your bigger baits. Given your location, i would recommend start with a well rounded 6" bait setup then if you really like it and get the bug youll buy up in gear. Its really a loaded question I throw the Creepers, 6" ospreys and 168 S wavers my frog rod is perfect, for me. For Huds, big glide baits and 9"-10" I use the Okuma. 90% of my swimbaits are the 6" variety with a few 8"
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Joe Bruce

Post by Joe Bruce »

Ive broke two brand new okumas in the last few weeks, they stand behind them but the warrentee dosnt get your donky fish back. im looking at the Irods, good price and I here there a great rod.