New Record "Spot"

Moderators: MKA, Caudawg

bassrman
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: central coast
Contact:

New Record "Spot"

Postby bassrman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:30 pm

image.jpg
rumor has it " the new record " Spot" was caught this weekend at Bullards Bar' during a tournament" they said 11.2#s ..... any one have any more info ?....

greatwhite888
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby greatwhite888 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 pm

Heard that it weighed 11.2 @ the weigh in. When they got to the certified scale it weighed 10.95. Still well over the previous record of 10.48. Lou Ferrante was the angler. Info available on the Great Basin Bassers FB page.

Randy Walker
Posts: 690
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:35 am
Location: Roseville

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Randy Walker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:43 pm

WOW.. Congrats!! What a donkey of a fish for sure
** RB BASS **
~ Thanks for the support ~
www.optimabatteries.com
www.ttiBlakemore.com
Daiichi Hooks
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/

bassrman
Posts: 276
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: central coast
Contact:

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby bassrman » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm

10.95 Wow!....I was there a coupla weeks ago' fished 4 days and only caught 3 keepers" but one went 7#s9oz ! so it was worth the trip ! ever cast I pictured a new world record in my mind ! awsome fishery !....

Larry Hemphill
Posts: 772
Joined: Thu May 26, 2005 8:08 pm
Location: Yuba City, California
Contact:

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Larry Hemphill » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:38 am

Wow! A major accomplishment in your fishing career! Even at 10.95, that is going to be hard to top by anyone! Was she released after weighin?

bushmaster
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby bushmaster » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

That is a great spot. Glad to see it was released back to the lake. The fishing gods will bless you.

CoralSteve
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby CoralSteve » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Bushmaster... It wasn't released. The guy took it home and was said to have stopped in Truckee on his way home to Sparks to have a certified scale weigh it... sad! Here's one of the many articles http://wired2fish.scout.com/story/15203 ... ught?s=537

Oldschool
Posts: 1508
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Oldschool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 am

It's not sad it's a record spot. The only way it can be recognized as a world record is to examine the bass by a biologists to validate the fish and I hope he does everything needed to establish his record.
Catch & Release is a good practice, but it can become overly zealous releasing bass that will die do to bleeding or over handling or in this situation where a world record is possible. Share the moment without condemnation, it's a catch of his lifetime....congratulations!
Tom

mark poulson
Posts: 9955
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 4:16 am
Location: Antioch, CA

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby mark poulson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:33 am

Oldschool wrote:It's not sad it's a record spot. The only way it can be recognized as a world record is to examine the bass by a biologists to validate the fish and I hope he does everything needed to establish his record.
Catch & Release is a good practice, but it can become overly zealous releasing bass that will die do to bleeding or over handling or in this situation where a world record is possible. Share the moment without condemnation, it's a catch of his lifetime....congratulations!
Tom


I agree. A spot that big has to be old, and has to have spawned a lot in it's lifetime. Big fish offspring don't get bigger as a fish gets bigger. The genes are the same from first to last, and may even degrade over time. That's why women who give birth at an advanced age have higher rates of abnormal children. Not an indictment, just a fact.
Evidently, we all have a built-in "sell by" date.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY

User avatar
Steve
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Sacramento area

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Steve » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.

User avatar
g-man
Posts: 3204
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Cooch's Dock "LL"

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby g-man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:37 pm

I think he ate it!! :shock:

Nice fish!!
100% LL

Kiss my Bass
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:08 pm

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Kiss my Bass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Steve wrote:Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.


What about letting her spawn one last time this year to continue the gene pool? :roll: Either way its a giant!

User avatar
g-man
Posts: 3204
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: Cooch's Dock "LL"

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby g-man » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm

Kiss my Bass wrote:
Steve wrote:Nothing wrong with killing that fish. There is no doubt it was at the end of its life, and the benefits of verifying it as a world record and potential benefits to science (assuming the angler and the taxidermist are receptive to the idea) greatly outweigh any marginal benefit of release. I would have killed it dead.


What about letting her spawn one last time this year to continue the gene pool? :roll: Either way its a giant!


Really? I woulda released it but thats my choice. If it was legally caught (which I'm sure it was) its his right to keep it! And for that matter it was a World Record fish! Pfffft... :roll:
100% LL

User avatar
Steve
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Sacramento area

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Really. One or two more spawns would mean nothing at the population scale. Much more meaningful to ensure getting it certified.

Oh_Son
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Re: New Record "Spot"

Postby Oh_Son » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Hmm .. What's the regs on keeping a bass post tournament weigh ins?

Tim little got his spot record and released!!

Who know's the potential of that fish and longevitivty of its life.


Return to “Fishing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: monte300 and 33 guests