Is Bass fishing a sport?

Brian D.

Is Bass fishing a sport?

Post by Brian D. »

It’s been argued and debated in garages, man caves, fishing blogs and over the internet for years. But even when the touted premier sports channel and media outlet "ESPN" doesn’t even give the 2015 Bassmaster Classic a casual mention of it on their site or channel, it gets me to wondering... Is bass fishing a sport? I know they cared somewhat when they owned BASS, but now? Nothing.

What's your take.....
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Hipster

Re: Is Bass fishing a sport?

Post by Hipster »

From an ex bass fisherman, now just a lurker.
No, I have folks in my garage at times where I still have all my gear sans a boat :cry: and people ask what is with all the fishing poles and stuff. Unless you do it "bass fish" then you don't get it!!

Ten / twelve years ago I thought it had the potential not any longer
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
R. Duzac

Post by R. Duzac »

I will say Yes.

It takes years of knowledge to be good, physical conditioning to do it at the top level, mental stamina to stay focused.

One of the lines I've heard since I've started this sport (Not as long ago as some of you, but 20+).
What's the difference between me and the pros, we throw the same baits.

"Time on the Water"

Practice, Practice, Practice, builds that knowledge, conditioning, and mental stamina. Then hopefully come game day you are in the Zone.

Last, we complete at this sport for big bucks.
It's not luck you see the same guys at the top of the list every week.

my 2 cents.
Rene
Larry Hemphill

Numbers are needed!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

If you notice, most sports people and vehicles have numbers on them and action takes place on fields, courts, tracks, and arenas. Bass tournaments are spread out over many, many miles and cannot service a concentrated audience as a race, tennis tournament, or baseball game can. Plus, the whole tournament day - launching, fishing, and weigh-in, is a LONG game. I think the Bassmaster folks do a great job covering the action of their major tournament, but action is often just too slow to captivate an audience for a whole day. Just a few thoughts.
Larry Hemphill

Numbers

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I forgot to mention that the weigh-in ceremonies are good for audience participation and enjoyment. There is action, rooting for favorite anglers, entertainment, and the excitement of a winner!
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

A sport requires two things: it has to have a 'ball' and it has to involve 'running'.
The lone exception is Hockey, where the 'ball' requirement is covered by the 'puck' and the 'running' is covered by the fast skating.

- Fishing, not a sport. No ball. No running. ('runnin n gunnin' doesn't count).
- Golf, not a sport. No running.
- Running, not a sport. No ball.

- Wolfeman :)
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

it's definitely a sport but as mentioned before, it's hard to present it to an audience on TV when you have an 8+ hour day of fishing spread over an entire lake/river.
But I think that's also why I think the live coverage they had of the classic is going to be a game changer. Internet promotion and coverage could bring the sport to a new level that TV couldn't.
just my 2 cents.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

wolfman ,
I think maybe you spent to much time smoking the Hookah pipe (which is not a sport ) .
By your definition , skiing , wrestling , javelin , weightlifting , boxing , UFC , badminton , halfpipe ,
luge , Xgames (all of the venues ) , gymnastics , Tour De France etc..... are all "not " a sport ?
I did a huge number of sports when I was younger , including wrestling and gymnastics for longer than I can remember . Out of all the sports I trained for , without a doubt , Mens gymnastics was the most difficult , injury prone sport I ever did ----but it didn't involve a ball or running---so it's not a sport ?
To me bass fishing is NOT a sport , it's a past time . The vast majority of so -called "professional " bass fisherman use the term to justify all the money spent , boats , gear , gas , hotels etc....
Is KVD a pro ? Yes. Is John Q Smith who fishes one local club tourney a pro ---NO .
Robb
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Say what you will about ole Wolfeman but he can set the hook like know ones business - I imagine he'll have himself a big ole limit by the time this thread drops to the second page :lol:

Brian NO - I can drink beer and smoke while fishing so its definatly not a sport - bowling and pool has a ball but no running NOT a sport, both you can also drink and smoke while doing. Both also have proffessional circuits and a bunch of guys polishing thier balls puttin on thier fancy clothes and still it aint a sport.

But hell dude it is fun and thats all that matters to me. :wink:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Is fishing a sport? Cmon man, of course it is. If you've ever fished a one day tourney and at the end of the tourney your tired mentally and physically then yeah it's a sport. Now try doing that multiple days and tell me your not drained by the end of the weekend. But what makes this the greatest sport ever is yes you can drink and smoke while doing it. All in all fishing is a leisure sport unless your tourney fishing then it ranks right there with all other sports, ball or no ball.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Bass fishing is NOT a sport! GMAFB! :lol: Go to any weigh in and look at these guys. They might have six packs but their not their abs! Just like Speed bump said it sure is fun, and also can be addicting. But so is crack to some people! :lol:

I don't see anyway you can call any type of fishing a sport.
100% LL
reddog

Post by reddog »

Bass fishing a sport? Hmmmmm. Golf is considered a "sport" but thats to play at the highest levels. Bass Fishing is the same. Is your average guy sporting? Probably not but if you want to make the upper levels its certainly not going to hurt to be in that shape. Mostly I would have to say the mental issue is more whats qualifying as a sport. Baseball, definitely a sport but if you've ever been a fan you know thats a long "game" and there are plenty of times when NOTHING happens. Ball pitched, ball caught, game over, even if theres a hit it doesn't always end up with furious action, still a sport due to the occasions when its full tilt. Duck hunting, not considered a sport by some, a sport by others. Soccer considered a sport by most but in my opinion just a bunch of guys chasing each other and a ball around all to end with 1 GGGGGGOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid but still a sport.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Right on red dog, if your doing a multi day tourney your body is gonna be tired mentally and physically. Now just for fun fishing maybe not so much a sport but a leisure activity. Theres a line that separates tourney fishing and leisure fishing. I agree with the DOG.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

roscoe ,
Trying to say your tired and sore after two days of tournament bass fishing is probably more indicative of being old and outa shape . I get tired and sore working in my garden all weekend , but that doesn't mean gardening is a sport .Bass fishing is an awesome leisure sport and very addictive .
Professionals are the top 250 , everybody else is a wanna be .
Robb
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

Lol hey I'm getting old but not out of shape. Hey all I know is when you fish 2 days back to back in 95-100 degree weather for 8 hours each day your gonna be spent. Everyone is entitled to their opion and I feel tournament fishing is a sport.
Scott Robertson

Post by Scott Robertson »

Sport Definition

dictionary.search.yahoo.com

n. noun

1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
2. Such activities considered as a group.
Sports is a good way for children to get exercise.

3. A usually challenging activity undertaken for amusement.

v. verb

1. To play or frolic.
children sporting in the waves.

2. To joke or trifle.
3. To wear or have on one's body, especially prominently or ostentatiously.
sports diamond earrings; sports a tattoo.

adj. adjective

1. Of, relating to, or appropriate for sports.
sport fishing; sports equipment.

2. Designed or appropriate for outdoor or informal wear.
a sport
I'd say this defines it as a sport. we have all had our days on mead, Havasu, the delta, Mojave and other days with rough weather and conditions. although we may not have numbers on our backs or a 50,000 person crowd cheering us on, its competitive, grueling and takes skill. Most people would not put themselves through it. but we do again and again.
bent rods to all good luck.
2005 angler of the year ABA High desert region.
2018 2nd place AAA us open
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

It is a sport in the same sense that motor racing is a sport.
It is a competition, but not an athletic competition. There is no doubt that being in better shape at any level let's you fish harder and make better decisions because you're not fatigued, but it is not a prerequisite for success.
The top competitors in motor sports are usually in good shape, too, for the same reason.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Our government certainly believes so, hence why we ALL must purchase an "ANNUAL SPORTS FISHING LICENSE!" to participate. That and what Scott R said!
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

BOOM!! There's your answer, nuff said. Lol, fun topic thanks cooch.
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

What the coaches used to say about "cross country." It's not a sport--they play no defense. :wink:
g-man

Post by g-man »

Come on Cooch, we both know our government is full of Crap! HAR HAR...
100% LL
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

Retired but not retarded.

Anyone that says that competitive bass fishing is not a sport has never been addicted to it like I was.

Take it from one that was beaten & pounded by the elements it is as much a sport as any.

Prior to every blastoff I got that tingly feeling just like before the kickoff.

Yes we are or were athletes and athletes play sports.

Hardshell from St. Croix
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Brian D. wrote:It’s been argued and debated in garages, man caves, fishing blogs and over the internet for years. But even when the touted premier sports channel and media outlet "ESPN" doesn’t even give the 2015 Bassmaster Classic a casual mention of it on their site or channel, it gets me to wondering... Is bass fishing a sport? I know they cared somewhat when they owned BASS, but now? Nothing.

What's your take.....
ESPN couldn't make money televising bass fishing tournaments because of the logistics trying to get camera coverage of bass catching action. There is a lot of down time during any sport fishing completetion with a few moments of live action, very boring to TV audience watching live coverage. Remember ESPN even tried to have participants boat racing at the end of thier events. ESPN sold B.A.S.S. and turned that card over!
The Bassmaster Classic this year had 5 boats with live coverage and GoPro cameras on each boat participating and that produced a few minutes live action for those watching via computer links. The TV coverage will be edited and shown in a few weeks.
Bass fishing is very similar in size and number of participants as golf. Both golf and fishing are very popular sports and generates a lot of recreational money. To be competitive in either sport you should be in good enough physical condition to have the endurance needed to stay focused and make pars or catch limits.
You don't need to be a world class athete to be a good golfer or bass angler, we can participate in these sports as youths or into our senior years.
Tom
Last edited by Oldschool on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

g-man wrote:Bass fishing is NOT a sport! GMAFB! :lol: Go to any weigh in and look at these guys. They might have six packs but their not their abs! Just like Speed bump said it sure is fun, and also can be addicting. But so is crack to some people! :lol:

Yep--bass fishing is a pastime that's just presented or framed as a "sport." It's no more a sport than tuna fishing or other big game fishing, which actually requires even more stamina and fitness (versus the "sportsman's figure" that most bass fishermen seem to prefer).
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

fish_food wrote:
g-man wrote:Bass fishing is NOT a sport! GMAFB! :lol: Go to any weigh in and look at these guys. They might have six packs but their not their abs! Just like Speed bump said it sure is fun, and also can be addicting. But so is crack to some people! :lol:

Yep--bass fishing is a pastime that's just presented or framed as a "sport." It's no more a sport than tuna fishing or other big game fishing, which actually requires even more stamina and fitness (versus the "sportsman's figure" that most bass fishermen seem to prefer).
It's called Sportfishing because fish are caught for "sport" verses commercial use.
Off shore tuna and marlin tournaments require no more physical fitness than bass fishing tournaments, they are more of a team sport than bass fishing.
The question wasn't about athletic skills.
Tom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

The question was whether bass fishing is a "sport" in the sense of it being a sporting/athletic event, NOT whether it's a sport falling under the umbrella of traditional hunting/fishing/trapping/etc activities (ie, the sporting activities covered in Sports Afield, Sporting Journal, Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, etc)...
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

People are confusing one definition of "sport" as an athletic event for the "sport" that covers fishing, hunting, trapping, moonshine running/motorsports, hot dog eating and other "sporting" activities.

Grouse hunting while dressed in your finest tweeds must be a sport as well--why else is it so heavily covered in Gray's Sporting Journal?
Last edited by fish_food on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Brian D. wrote:It’s been argued and debated in garages, man caves, fishing blogs and over the internet for years. But even when the touted premier sports channel and media outlet "ESPN" doesn’t even give the 2015 Bassmaster Classic a casual mention of it on their site or channel, it gets me to wondering... Is bass fishing a sport? I know they cared somewhat when they owned BASS, but now? Nothing.

What's your take.....
Fish_food, please point out where the OP made your statement regarding athletic event.
Tom
Last edited by Oldschool on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

It's inferred in the original post that brought up ESPN, a network traditionally associated with athletic coverage. So when he asked, "Is Bass fishing a sport?" we infer the question is asking whether bass fishing is a sport in the athletic sense.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

fish_food wrote:It's inferred in the original post that brought up ESPN, a network traditionally associated with athletic coverage.
I see said the blind man, you read between the lines and concluded that a sport inferred athlete.
ESPN bought B.A.S.S. believing bass tournament anglers are similar to NASCAR drivers and would share the same TV audience, not because anglers or drivers were athletic. Making the argument to be a sport infers the participants are athletic, then why would ESPN televise racing and golfing? Some golfers, race drivers and bass anglers are atheltic, the majority are not.
Peace.
Tom
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Oldschool wrote:...then why would ESPN televise racing and golfing? Some golfers, race drivers and bass anglers are atheltic, the majority are not.
Motorsports and golf are broadcast by ESPN because at some point in history, their coverage (whether on teevee or the newspapers) came to be associated with athletic sports coverage. Don't ask me why because I don't know why.
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

fish_food wrote:
Oldschool wrote:...then why would ESPN televise racing and golfing? Some golfers, race drivers and bass anglers are atheltic, the majority are not.
Motorsports and golf are broadcast by ESPN because at some point in history, their coverage (whether on teevee or the newspapers) came to be associated with athletic sports coverage. Don't ask me why because I don't know why.
ESPN is an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. The 'Entertainment' part speaks to them broadcasting racing and golf and fishing and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit special.
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Wolfeman wrote:ESPN is an acronym for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. The 'Entertainment' part speaks to them broadcasting racing and golf and fishing and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit special.
Winner, winner chicken dinner!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I think the real question is, does reading the swimsuit issue make you a sport? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

I can see the argument of "Tournament Bass Fishing" being a sport. Its a competition, there can be teams, and there is a scoring system. (weight/ points) I still think tourney fishing is not a sport. I look at tournament fishing more like gambling. I fish just as hard fun fishing as i would Tourney fishing. I'm not gonna try any less when I'm fun fishing, there is no difference to me. I only have one speed and thats to pound the water every time trying to get the best results I can.

But the title says "Is bass fishing a sport"

I don't think it is for a verity of reasons.

You can do it alone, or with others with no scoring or time limits, No prize, winner or loser. But I'm pretty sure the original poster meant "Tournament Bass fishing." :wink: Its a hobby just like hiking, riding a bike, camping, playing an instrument etc, etc.
100% LL
BigJeff

Post by BigJeff »

Bass fishing is unique in that the non-sponsored anglers are paying out of pocket expenses to play, legit gambling. You guys (and gals) who have been fortunate to obtain sponsorships have paid entries and some costs covered.

Bottom line though, there is a physical action required to catch fish and as we saw at the Classic last week battle the elements (or for us in the West, Lake Mead's heat during the US Open). Is fishing a sport? IMO, yes. Its just very different than other team or individual events.
merc1997

Post by merc1997 »

the funny thing about fishing is that you can make it what you want to. for many fisherman, it is a recreation. a person can go at fishing anyway they want to. my dad's idea of fishing was to tie up put a minnow over the side, kick back, have a sandwich and beer, and hope nothing bothered the minnow.

i have fished tournaments for over 40 years. since i also played every sport there was growing up, i can tell you that serious tournament fishing is a sport. it takes great conditioning and stamina. you need different muscle groups strengthened than you use in other sports. you have to be in the game mentally just as in any other sport. fishing is somewhat like golf. in golf, it is you against the course. with tournament bass fishing, it is you against the bass.

there is my two cents.

bo
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Well, it seemed like it was looked at as a sport or sporting category in 2002 when VanDam won an ESPY award for best outdoor sportsman.

An ESPY Award (short for Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly Award) is an accolade presented by the American cable television network ESPN to recognize individual and team athletic achievement and other sports-related performance during the calendar year preceding a given annual ceremony.

I would say it's a sport... Yeah, individual basis but there are also teams

Just say'n ..

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia