Great decision by Department of Fish and Wildlife re: BASS

kb

Great decision by Department of Fish and Wildlife re: BASS

Post by kb »

When the Bassmaster Elite Guys come to the California Delta the first week of May and the College Regional Anglers fish their event on Folsom every one of their fish will be handled by the biologists from California Department of Fish and Wildlife. They will be taken in one of the big fish hatchery trucks from the weigh in location at Discovery Park back to multiple locations in the California Delta where they will be released. Fish and Wildlife doesn't want us to lose potentially 1200 bass from the Delta, they don't want to introduce that many bass into the river system during the Chinook Salmon Smolt return to the ocean as well. Hats off to Stafford Lehr and the team of biologists from DFW for their efforts and for knowing that they had to be ready for a major national event coming to California where things are a little different than a normal event. They want to showcase the great fishery of the Delta.

They will be using another truck for the college regionals and their fish and they will be returned back to Folsom Lake on Saturday's competition.....
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
mark poulson

Re: Great decision by Department of Fish and Wildlife re: BA

Post by mark poulson »

Every DFG/DFW person I have met over the years at the annual lake permit Jamboree has really cared about our fish and our fisheries.
If they got to design our Statewide water allocation system, we'd have a lot less to worry about.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

KB......Totally agree with F & W to re-distribute bass weighed -in by Elite anglers, for all the right reasons. Like to know your thoughts on F & W requiring re-distribution of bass in bass tournaments, with 50 boats or more,after each weigh-in. At our lakes and the Delta, especially Clearlake, most tournaments are held at the upper end of the lake, and therefore, the greater populations resides there. Rattlesnake and Red Bud arms do not fish like they used to as the bass have been relocated. This is just one example, but it's happening at other places too. Take for example, a 80 boat tournament, 5 fish limit, 2 days = 800 bass released in the same general area. I realize there would be an additional cost factor, but just add $5.00/boat for the proper, re-distribution of the caught bass. What do you think?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I guess that isn't so much of an issue for our SoCal lakes, but it probably makes a difference down here, too. Fish live in different areas of a lake for a reason, and loading one section with released fish, even though it may not have enough forage for their long term survival, has to have an effect, even if it's just less successful spawns.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Here is the logical solution proposed by a well-known and respected Clearlake guide, as my ideas would be too involved and costly, especially the movement of fish.

"First off I totally agree that hauling all of the bass to one end of the lake consistently is not healthy for the bass population. Now having said that here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

1. The simple truth is the permit process should alternate tournament launch sites."

Makes total sense!!

Comments?