Detours for Drought Barrier in Delta - May 7 to Nov

Cooch

Re: Detours for Drought Barrier in Delta - May 7 to Nov

Post by Cooch »

The work has begun and there are big signs posted 1/4 mile from the work.
DSCF0898[1].jpg
Newbassfisherman

Post by Newbassfisherman »

Here is some additional info on the project

http://www.sfgate.com/drought/article/S ... 252075.php
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

So now, the saltwater blows into Big Break, thru Dutch and into Taylor and Sandmound where the largest of residential waterfront properties are on the Delta. It goes into Sandmound and will then pour thru into the back of Rock Slough where the Contra Costa Water District pulls it's water. CCWD saw this coming, hence why they built the dam in the back of Rock Slough, and new pumps down in Victoria!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Hence? Really??? Hahaha
At least they are being proactive.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
whazup

Post by whazup »

mark poulson wrote:Hence? Really??? Hahaha
At least they are being proactive.
What's wrong with "hence"? It's a good word. I don't get your reply.......?
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I don't know, I've just always been on the fence about hence. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Tarpon120

Post by Tarpon120 »

What do you guys feel will be the effect on black bass west of the barrier? From what I understand, some water will still push through the barrier. Kind of like what you see at the middle river dam. I guess what I'm wondering is; will the salinity increase to a point to where it kills or moves the black bass out of this zone....or will it only be detectable in small amounts that would be reflected in drinking water quality standards???
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

It will have the most effect on the Florida hybreds, they are not tolerant of the higher salinity levels like that of the Northern strain that inhabits the Sherman area which is high in salinity. The Floridas will push east and north. I don't believe the salt push will come strong and fast enough to actually kill the florida bass before they have the chance to run east & north away from it. The past two years, we've seen a large loss in Florida fish population in the Big Break area. This could be the results of several issues though, higher salinity levels there, the non-existance of tournaments replenishing the area, and the meat hunter's over harvest of the area, which would include both human and Seal consumptions. So depending on the levels of salt intrusion and where the area is currently at as far as Florida strain bass go, it may ave no more effect than the losses we've experienced the past two years anyhow. I have no idea on the science behind the salinity and it's effect on the drinking water. I guess that would depend on it's push east into the system to where it reaches points of where they take water for local drinking and/or irrigation for Ag purposes.
Tarpon120 wrote:What do you guys feel will be the effect on black bass west of the barrier? From what I understand, some water will still push through the barrier. Kind of like what you see at the middle river dam. I guess what I'm wondering is; will the salinity increase to a point to where it kills or moves the black bass out of this zone....or will it only be detectable in small amounts that would be reflected in drinking water quality standards???