Cranking/Electronics Battery Choice...HELP!

sweetbass49

Cranking/Electronics Battery Choice...HELP!

Post by sweetbass49 »

Hey guys,
Been out of the loop on starting/electronics batteries so I apologize for bringing this dead-horse question up in advance.

With technology constantly changing and the high demands of the HDS touch units, what do you recommend for your starting/electronics battery? I've been running Interstate for years. Currently running group 27 XHD (1000 cranking amps) and it is dying fast. With two HDS units on, battery voltage drops down to 10.5-11v extremely fast. Also notice big motor has started to "cut out" intermittently. After reading some threads on Merc 200 EFI's cutting out, I'm going to try to kill two birds with one stone.

Suggestions?
Wet or Gel?
Stay with Interstate?
Go with Trojan? I checked specs on the trojans and their cranking amps are just a little over half of what the interstate has to offer.

Any insight would help.
Thanks in advance!
vikings

Re: Cranking/Electronics Battery Choice...HELP!

Post by vikings »

Centennial DC31MF, Deep Cycle marine battery with 1000 MCA, you wont have anymore problems.
I Run 2HDS Units, live wells on Manual all day, sometimes go all day without running the big motor and have never had a problem. It's a standard wet, lead acid battery. Check their website or Battery Systems Inc
reddog

Post by reddog »

Just to help out if you'd like I have 2 trojan batteries that are basically brand new in my garage right now that I bought while borrowing a boat for a while and then the owner wanted his old batteries back in the boat so, they are up for a big discount on literally new batteries. I paid $135 each but I think the hook has them for $125 so if you want to save a couple bucks and try out the trojans I'll let them go for $100 each and they're both in battery boxes now. I was going to put them in my travel trailer but I dont "need" them so just fyi. I used them in the boat for 1.5 months and probably 7 times out in that time frame, as I said new.
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

Hi Reddog we don't carry Trojan at the Hook just AC DElco but the Trojans are very good battiers for that price jump on them