Thunderstorms and Fishing

Chad Sweitzer

Thunderstorms and Fishing

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

I had the strangest experience today. I was fishing at Salt Springs Valley and a thunderstorm moved in, I never saw any lightning but I heard thunder constantly. I started to hear this weird buzzing noise coming from the tip of my rod. It was definitely an electric current as everytime I would touch my reel I would get zapped! Does anyone else have experiences like this? Can you fish through this or is it dangerous? Oh, and by the way, after noticing that, I went straight back to the launch ramp.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
SacRtrain

Re: Thunderstorms and Fishing

Post by SacRtrain »

Super dangerous. If you hear thunder, there is lightning. It's just cloud to cloud. Only a matter of time until a ground strike. Pretty lucky dude. If you feel or hear current, get to cover ASAP.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Is there a safer, not safe, position if you're in your boat and can't get to cover?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I agree , super dangerous --- personally I would have headed back to the boat ramp ignoring all 5Mph bouys .
OR -- you could be like the preacher in Caddyshack ---especially if the fishing is really good .
one of the barbers at the barbershop I have gone to for the past 20 years , had a son that lived in North Carolina and was riding a
Waverunner when a lightning storm approached , he was attempting to drive back to the boat ramp when he was struck by lightning and killed instantly .
Lightning on the water scares the piss outa me .
Robb
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Graphite is a conductor, and that buzz means there's electrical charge in the air. Best to put your rods down flat and get out of there. Stay low in the boat too (or lie flat on the deck along with your rods if bolts are happening near you). Lightning will target the tallest object.

My buddy tells a story from many years ago when he was fishing in similar conditions. He made a cast and starts reeling in, but hears this buzz along with the crank. He then notices his line is still in the air in an arc. He looks over at another boater nearby and that guy is experiencing the same thing with his line and is also puzzled by it. My friend says the hair of a woman in that other boat was also standing straight up. He then realizes charge is building in the air, yelled to that boater to get out of there. He says just moments after they high-tailed out of that spot, a bolt hit just about where they were.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Bass Pro Shopper wrote:Graphite is a conductor, and that buzz means there's electrical charge in the air. Best to put your rods down flat and get out of there. Stay low in the boat too (or lie flat on the deck along with your rods if bolts are happening near you). Lightning will target the tallest object.

My buddy tells a story from many years ago when he was fishing in similar conditions. He made a cast and starts reeling in, but hears this buzz along with the crank. He then notices his line is still in the air in an arc. He looks over at another boater nearby and that guy is experiencing the same thing with his line and is also puzzled by it. My friend says the hair of a woman in that other boat was also standing straight up. He then realizes charge is building in the air, yelled to that boater to get out of there. He says just moments after they high-tailed out of that spot, a bolt hit just about where they were.
That makes sense. Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
VJ

Post by VJ »

Glad i read this post great advise
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

This time two years ago on Clear Lake - First day of the 1st WON Bass Open - blast off was delayed

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I was fishing the Castaic Logoon back in '03, in a rain storm, when I heard thunder. A lighting bolt lite up the sky to the west, and I pulled up my TM, fired up the big motor, and put the boat on plane to get back to the ramp. I passed the lifeguard boat on the way.
When I was putting the boat on the trailer, he came up to me. I thought he was going to give me grief, but instead he said, "I wondered how long you were going to stay out there." Since he came in after me, he was as dumb as I was, I guess. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

drop your rod facing away from your position and duck under your console as fast as you can as long as you aren't a big boy. after you hear the thunder moving away, hi-tail it back to da ramp. Nothing can out run mother nature only nature itself and besides you are the highest point in the water for a ways like a lone tree in a barren forest. that is what I have done many times! :mrgreen: