Learning the ropes - bass boat ownership.

keeb

Learning the ropes - bass boat ownership.

Post by keeb »

Going to sound a little pathetic, but, nothing ventured nothing gained right?

I grew up fishing and around boats, but always with my family and very low tech, not even fish finders/trolling motors.

I have been bass fishing for about 10 years, with a few years being very productive and others where I get out once a year. My primary method recently has been float tube/kick boat - I have accomplished some pretty cool stuff from there in Delta, Berryessa, Clear Lake, and smaller bodies of water.

My wife says she wants to spend a majority of the weekends this summer on the water; who am I to argue?

Now to the point - I will be buying a bass boat soon, I think (basically as long as I don't hate the experience.) The problem is, outside of general boating (driving and safety, got those down) I have no idea what I am doing. I'm looking for someone who can show me the ropes with some on the water experience, hopefully enjoy a few beverages with in the process, and to do some fishing with.

I am more than happy to pay for launch, gas, and whatever else makes sense. Outside of Monday/Friday I can pretty much make any day work - looking to have the experience with a number of people.

Very open to suggestions.

Thoughts?
MT

Re: Learning the ropes - bass boat ownership.

Post by MT »

Tip number one would be to avoid the "beverages" while operating a bassboat.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

tip #2 , avoid weekends with the wife on the water ----
Robb
keeb

Post by keeb »

MT wrote:Tip number one would be to avoid the "beverages" while operating a bassboat.
I said it that way on purpose - I would not advocate drinking liquor on the water, but I am just open to providing and enjoying whatever it might be from water to lemonade to iced tea or soda of some form. I am partial to iced tea myself.
Last edited by keeb on Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keeb

Post by keeb »

Robb R wrote:tip #2 , avoid weekends with the wife on the water ----
Robb
No thanks, she likes to fish (and hunt.) It was hyperbole from her in terms of how she wants to spend it (outside, in the sun, with me, near water.)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

First off, where do you live ?
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I would suggest you think of your boat like you do your car. It is a moving vehicle, and all the legal restrictions on driving apply.
Most lakes down here require a counter-clockwise traffic pattern, so you are, in effect, driving on the right hand side of the road.
Plus, you are responsible for any damage you boat's wake may cause. If you blow by someone and cause them problems, they can take your CF numbers and report you. If they have a witness, you're in trouble.
A ticket on the water goes on your DMV record, and can affect your car insurance, so be responsible and careful out there.
A little common courtesy goes a long way.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

I might be able to help with some advise, PM sent
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

If you are looking at a new or nearly new boat, then you might want to call the local boat dealers and learn who their local pros are, who can give you a ride in their boats. It's a form of test driving. For example, if you like Rangers, talk to someone at C&C. if you like Tritons, talk to Mark Blanton at Gone Fishin' Marine. You may be able to drive it around, plus you can probably buy them lunch and pick their brains about things you may not know much about, like electronics. Remember that these guys may be sponsored, so they are going to be part-salesman, part-fishing pro.

If you are thinking of an older boat, say 5 years or older, then you may get better info by going to a fishing club meeting. many anglers in these clubs can have more info on older boats just because many have owned those older boats, and can provide info about what has worked for them in the past. For example, I have met guys in my fishing club who I would consider taking with me to look at older Rangers (e.g. 1980's), just because they have owned them and would know what to look for, good and bad, with an older used boat, and even older electronic units.

Good luck.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

First off you need the right rods and we just launched a great new line :D :D :D :D Sorry, couldn't resist :D :D

I'm not sure what you're looking at boat wise...new or used...Price range?? I'd be happy to tell you some pros and cons and also help with a purchase if needed. I always keep my ears open and try and help buyers and sellers hook up ( I do this.. just because and I do NOT make a penny on it ) I know where there's a super keep used boat ( reasonable )...a Skeeter. I also know of a couple of killer deals on new or almost new Rangers at dealers. I'll be glad to assist in anyway, including test rides, if it's the product you're interested in.

Not sure where you're located but may be able to throw a few fishing tips and ideas as well. Yell if I can help. A woman that likes to hunt and fish will make your life MUCH EASIER TOO :D :D
keeb

Post by keeb »

Gary Dobyns wrote:First off you need the right rods and we just launched a great new line :D :D :D :D Sorry, couldn't resist :D :D

I'm not sure what you're looking at boat wise...new or used...Price range?? I'd be happy to tell you some pros and cons and also help with a purchase if needed. I always keep my ears open and try and help buyers and sellers hook up ( I do this.. just because and I do NOT make a penny on it ) I know where there's a super keep used boat ( reasonable )...a Skeeter. I also know of a couple of killer deals on new or almost new Rangers at dealers. I'll be glad to assist in anyway, including test rides, if it's the product you're interested in.

Not sure where you're located but may be able to throw a few fishing tips and ideas as well. Yell if I can help. A woman that likes to hunt and fish will make your life MUCH EASIER TOO :D :D
Gary

I'd love your help, thanks for the offer. I'd prefer a used boat (fairly well laid out with electronics already installed and working) but am not against doing it all from scratch in a new boat.

I'm in Marin County, a couple of hours from every body of water that's commonly talked about here in the north and specifically the Delta.

I'd also take some good advice on rods; let me know the best way to follow up with you.
BassAss4

Post by BassAss4 »

the best boat is someone elses boat..... Your wallet will agree
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Can you give me a call at our rod shop. 530-671-1989 Ask for Miranda and she'll chase me down. I know of several boats to discuss both new and used. Look forward to it.
keeb

Post by keeb »

Gary - will give you a call, thanks for the offer.

Anything I should look out for on this one? Electronics seem old, but everything else looks decent from what can be seen.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5068305477.html
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

The ad doesn't say how many hours on the powerhead. That is vital information. You definitely would want to have a mechanic download the computer to check the hours and errors. It needs compression tested to help know the condition of the motor. Definitely take it to a shop first if you are interested. They can do a boat survey including the trailer. They can examine the transom for weaknesses.
keeb

Post by keeb »

ACRon wrote:The ad doesn't say how many hours on the powerhead. That is vital information. You definitely would want to have a mechanic download the computer to check the hours and errors. It needs compression tested to help know the condition of the motor. Definitely take it to a shop first if you are interested. They can do a boat survey including the trailer. They can examine the transom for weaknesses.
Thanks for the info. I will see what Gary has in mind and go from there.
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

Gary is a wealth of information and a great rod builder. I use his Champion Series and am spoiled. He has a new line of Fury rods which is a good economical price point. Besides all the above he is a down right good guy.
DarWise

Post by DarWise »

Don't be surprised when you get a Unsecured Property Tax bill from your County Tax Assessor's Office for the boat. This is a yearly tax that some call, "Luxury Tax".

Bass boat insurance can be purchased from a number of insurance companies, but I found that 1-800 BASS BOAT was the best coverage for the money. Foremost Insurance is also good, but I switched to 1-800 BASS BOAT even though it was slight more money because they cover any big tournaments I might decide to fish. Foremost Insurance covered my club tournaments but did not cover me in any big tournaments. I also have boat towing included in my boat insurance now.
keeb

Post by keeb »

Here's what I sent to Gary, slightly modified to remove my contact information. If anyone has any recommendations, I am all ears.

Here's what I am looking for based on research
  • 18-19' fiberglass boat
    dual console
    good engine
    less than 25k all in (including reg taxes etc etc); i'd be really happy to keep it under 15k, but this is what I am aiming for.
    don't care much about electronics, i will make sure it has 3 units - 2 at console (gps, sonar), sonar up front. these can always be added.

If you have a lead on anything that fits the bill that makes sense, I'd love to hear it.

Lastly on the boat side, if you have any recommendations on clubs to join I'm all ears.

Next, about rods

I have some pretty shitty rods right now - some BPS combos that have got the job done but are starting to show their age/wear.

I primarily like to flip/pitch t-rigged plastics (confidence) or jigs, weightless/wacky senkos, and love throwing a spinnerbait. Not in to swimbaits or frogs, although I can probably be convinced on frogs.

I'd love to see what you recommend as a thanks for all of your help, and if you have a recommendation on reels along with a place to purchase to go along with that, all the better.
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

keeb wrote: Lastly on the boat side, if you have any recommendations on clubs to join I'm all ears.
Redwood Empire Bass Club. We meet at the Union Hotel Pizza on West College in Santa Rosa the 2nd Weds of each month. Most members are from Sonoma Co., some of us are from Marin. You didn't say where you are in Marin, but I'm in Novato.
Check out our Facebook page, New Redwood Empire Bass Club. Also check our website at http://www.rebc.net

As far as gear is concerned, I am partial to Dobyns rods and Shimano reels. Marine Unlimited (Ranger dealer) in Petaluma is now a Dobyns Rods dealer, as is Outdoor Pro Shop in Rohnert Park. Outdoor Pro also has a large selection of reels including Shimano, Daiwa, Abu Garcia, Quantum, Lews, and others.
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
keeb

Post by keeb »

Thanks I just applied to join the fb group.