Good baitcasting setup.

Puddles

Good baitcasting setup.

Post by Puddles »

Hello. I have only ever owned spinning reels and I'm starting to look at bait casters. I'm kind of stumped on what brand I should get for the reel and what brand pole would be best. I mostly throw jigs and soft plastics.
Thanks in advance!
Vernonn

Re: Good baitcasting setup.

Post by Vernonn »

The answer will depend on how seriously you plan to fish for bass and how much you're willing to spend.
Roscoe

Post by Roscoe »

It all depends on what you wanna spend and what baits you like throwing. I fish on a budget and have a few combos, all I rods and tatulas. That combo for rod and reel is just over 300$ but personally that combo ranks right up there with the high end combos. That's just my opion. Now a lot of rod company's will put what each rod is specifically for, which is nice for people like me. It's always good to ask here on WB cause your gonna get great help. I got turned on to I Rod cause of the price and they are just great rods. Daiwai tatulas are great cause of the TWS which increases casting distance. You can get the standard reel and go up to their high end TYPE R reel which is a beast. That's a great combo spooled with sea gaur and good luck.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

I would say I'm more of a casual Fisher. Go out a couple times a week. I was looking at lews reels. Not sure if they're any good. Just don't know what brand rod to go with.
reddog

Post by reddog »

Quality so you're not just replacing it later is important as well as all around usefulness. Meaning you can use it with a variety of techniques. Honestly for the price I would probably go with the abu veritas 2.0, I have one for a frog rod and have never had any complaints. Its pulled 1#'ers to 7#'ers so far and never had a feeling of lost backbone or sensitivity. Reels are subjective but if you're REALLY casual about it I would get a shimano Citica, not the best reel they make but not a piece of junk either. The Lews are fine but you really need to keep them oiled to function properly. These setups either way will run you about 200$ total. When you decide to move up a little like 50-75$ I would buy a Cousins rod. I own 2 so far as a testing purchase and can honestly say I'm looking to switch over to them exclusively. The action is awesome and the sensitivity and backbone built in to them is as close to perfect as it gets. The other option which I have experience with is SOME of the Dobyns rods and everyone has great things to say about them and with good reason, great rods, great Co., and whats even better is Gary is a great guy too. Price the new Fury line and see if you can swing that from Dobyns.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Since this is your first baitcasting setup, I would suggest you get a setup that is easy to learn on, and cheap, so you can learn, before you start spending for super stuff.
It is impossible to get "the perfect" setup, if you're just learning, because there are so many techniques and specific needs.
I'd suggest you buy an inexpensive combo from Bass Pro, like this:

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-J ... 230710321/

For $200 you get a very light reel with externally adjusted brakes, and a decent rod.
The externally adustable braking will help you dial in the reel for whatever you're throwing.
I'd buy the 7' med. action rod, because you can use it for so many techniques, and it casts really well.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM