What happens if a World Record is caught outside US; Would scale certification be valid?

george

What happens if a World Record is caught outside US; Would scale certification be valid?

Post by george »

Lets say I go to El Salto Mexico and land a twenty five pound world record beauty, would my scale be valid if I had it certified prior to leaving the states and took pictures and measurements for proof or would I have to take the fish to a public scale in Mexico and if I did so would their weight be valid; how do you make sure they are certified?
I am thinking that I would have to kill the fish if I were out of the states just to make sure I could get it to a certified scale and with that still not know if the weight would be accepted by the USSFA as a world record.
We have a Department of Weights and Measures through the state that regulates and certifies scales here in California and I am sure all other states have the same but I have been to Saudi Arabia, Asia and Mexico and I would bet money on it that most of the scales used by the markets in many areas are not certified on a scheduled basis if certified at all.

George
Oldschool

Re: What happens if a World Record is caught outside US; Would scale certification be valid?

Post by Oldschool »

The only way any LMB new world record will be authenticated is to put the bass on ice immediately after weighing, measuring and photographing the bass on the measuring device and on the scale with witnesses of the catch. The bass must be authenticated by a biologist to determine the species, no objects placed inside the bass, the catch method was legal and you have a valid licenses.
Good luck with your quest, you not only need to catch this bass, you must prove it to the world that it met all the IGFA rules and state and /or country regulations.
Tom
mark poulson

Re: What happens if a World Record is caught outside US; Would scale certification be valid?

Post by mark poulson »

george wrote:Lets say I go to El Salto Mexico and land a twenty five pound world record beauty, would my scale be valid if I had it certified prior to leaving the states and took pictures and measurements for proof or would I have to take the fish to a public scale in Mexico and if I did so would their weight be valid; how do you make sure they are certified?
I am thinking that I would have to kill the fish if I were out of the states just to make sure I could get it to a certified scale and with that still not know if the weight would be accepted by the USSFA as a world record.
We have a Department of Weights and Measures through the state that regulates and certifies scales here in California and I am sure all other states have the same but I have been to Saudi Arabia, Asia and Mexico and I would bet money on it that most of the scales used by the markets in many areas are not certified on a scheduled basis if certified at all.

George
Dude, do you need a caddie? :wink:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

IGFA has reps in every country. A record-hunter has to make those arrangements before he goes. I don't think there is any regulation that would keep you from taking a certified scale with you into Mexico, and then having it checked upon your return. Because message board hacks will assail your catch, even if it weighs 30 pounds and is witnessed by the Pope, Billy Graham and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but that's the world we live in. Still you have to do your part--and most don't--and that's why so many big catches have been disqualified over the years.