need new axle

McConnell6531

need new axle

Post by McConnell6531 »

Hey Guys, Im out of Surprise, Az.

So Spindle replacement is gonna be too expensive(35-50 per spindle axle and 65 an hour). So I am looking into getting an entire new axle for my trailer. Online prices are above and below $200

What i need to know is how can I be sure that i have the proper size axle, both in length and weight capacity? Is there any defining difference between axle styles ex. square, round, rectangle? Would I be a fool to purchase an axle that is meant for a heavier trailer and boat if its the same size?

and finally any input on axle brand or retailer?

Thanks for the time and help

-Patrick

P.s. And should I do new spring leafs while i am at it?

the trailer suspension and axle is original from '82
mark poulson

Re: need new axle

Post by mark poulson »

I had axle problems with my Ranger TR177 trailer, including have a hub sieze and the wheel fall off, and both attachment welds break and suck the wheels up into the fenders. I finally wound up having a new trailer with Vault hubs built by Pacific Trailer. It was $3,500 through Anglers Marine, and it's been a dream for the last two+ years I've owned it.
Boat trailers are typically not the selling point for a boat, and they aren't what manufs. put the money into.
Everything mechanical has a finite life.
Metal fatigues, welds get brittle and break, and everything that's metal rusts.
If your trailer is an '82, it's probably time to replace it.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
stan7

Post by stan7 »

I bought a replacement axle for $150 complete with hubs but had to weld on my own leaf-spring plates. I took down all the dimensions of the axle tube and spindles, hubs etc. and took them to a Trailer Barn store. The guy told me that they "build to order" since there are so many different axle sizes, but that's just cutting the tube to width and welding in the spindle stubs. I think they would weld on the spring plates too, but it added a couple more weeks to delivery and I have my own welding equipment.

There are not that many different axle load ratings, and I wouldn't try fitting something else. When I was researching it, the hub and spindle dimensions drive the weight rating, and the tube is sized accordingly. The parts are mostly universal, so I shopped on Redneck Trailer Supply's website (http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Products ... ducts.aspx). They have a great catalog. Look in the "B - Axle Components" pdf and find out which spindle you have, then shop for mating axle tubes.

Or remove the axle and take it to a trailer supply place and tell the guy what you're doing.

If your springs look ok, I'd just take apart and lube up the shackles.

p.s. Don't forget to disassemble and clean/lube the bearings, or replace them, yearly. A set of bearings and seals is only $20 per wheel. I learned the hard way.
McConnell6531

Post by McConnell6531 »

Thanks for the input guys. Ill definitely Look into that webiste and pdf. Im sure it will be a great resource. And I have decided to replace the entire suspension system from the mounts down as well as the axle.

The boat has never been out of Arizona, and the trailer has very very little rust. The whole thing is constructed out of C-channel. Which i know is weaker than tube, but its rated for 2,100 pounds and the boat weighs in around 1100 pounds with everything loaded.

Thanks again guys!!!