Bass boat in the salt

Ron T.

Bass boat in the salt

Post by Ron T. »

Anybody ever run their bass boat in the salt ? Getting the itch to get out and chase some coastal calicos but been told that taking the bass boat would be a big mistake Do to Corrosion . I figure I could plug all the live well drain and inlet holes. Rinse the trailer at the fresh water wash station after the launch in the morning as well as when I wash down the boat in the afternoon. Anybody do this with the bass boat ?
vikings

Re: Bass boat in the salt

Post by vikings »

Took my buddies Skeeter on the Ventura Flats for Sandbass one time, not even rough, just overcast. Whacked the Sandies, but the next week at the lake the front meter stopped working and the trolling motor was interittent. Pulled the Dash panel off and solid corrosion. Hard to believe it was one calm trip, but it's a true story. I wouldn't take my boat, but thats entirely up to you. Fishing was fun though
mrobinett

Post by mrobinett »

Don't do it. In the 70s and early 80s my first boat was a 15' Gregor never had a lick of problems until I started fishing the breakwater and Newport Bay. I always came home and washed it with soap and water, rinsed the motor out and wd40d the trailer. Within about 6 months, the trailer and the rims started rusting. Within a year, the forward and reverse gear quit working. I took it in and had to replace the lower unit because the it was totally corroded. And that was just an open Gregor.
longshot

Post by longshot »

I took my nitro out in the Napa river to striper fish made sure that I rinsed everything with fresh water etc. but within a couple weeks I could see all kinds of new rust on my trailer peeling my paint wasn't worth the trip.
I was on tomalas tues and seen a bass boat drifting hog island so people do it
Marc

Post by Marc »

Damage to the boat can be controlled and fixed; the trailer damage is the problem, and is irreversible and inevitable. I wouldn't hesitate to launch in freshwater and ride to the salt, but I will never again launch in the salt without a trailer made to do so. Don't ask me how I know...
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com