WWBT Wild West Bass Trail 2016 CA & AZ Dates PRO/Ams & Teams

Gary Dobyns

WWBT Wild West Bass Trail 2016 CA & AZ Dates PRO/Ams & Teams

Post by Gary Dobyns »

As the Wild West Bass Trail debuts in 2016, our objective is to provide anglers the ability to participate in elite bass tournaments with the highest guaranteed payout on the West Coast. This new tournament format, payout and television exposure will increase angler participating numbers that have not been seen on the West Coast for over the past decade.

Link to Entry Deadlines, Off Limits and other dates for WWBT
http://www.westernbass.com/forum/wild-w ... 98673.html

The Wild West Bass Trail Pro/Am tournaments entry fee is $700.00 for the Pro and $350.00 for the Co-angler.

Teams entry fee is $300.00

The Wild West Bass Trail is pleased to announce the 2016 schedule. These tournaments are created to provide an awesome “playing field” for competitive bass anglers to showcase their skills and competitiveness.

California Pro/AM Events:
Lake Shasta (Jan. 30-31, 2016)
Lake Oroville (March 5-6, 2016)
California Delta (June 4-5, 2016)
Championship for CA and AZ Pro/AM Lake Mead, NV (October 14-16, 2016)

California Teams:
Lake Oroville (Jan. 9)
Lake Shasta (Feb. 27)
Lake Berryessa (April 2)
California Delta (May 14)
Championship (Clear Lake) June 11-12, 2016

Arizona Pro/Am events:
Lake Pleasant (Jan. 16-17, 2016)
Lake Havasu (Feb. 27-28, 2016)
Roosevelt Lake (March 19-20, 2016)
Championship for CA and AZ Pro/AM Lake Mead, NV (October 14-16, 2016)

Arizona Team events:
Roosevelt Lake (Feb. 13, 2016)
Lake Mohave (March 26, 2016)
Lake Pleasant (April 30, 2016)
Lake Havasu (May 14, 2016)
AZ Team Championship Lake Mead (June 25-26, 2016)

Contact Info:
CA Pro/Am & Teams Director-Jason Bubier:
Email: Jason@wildwestbasstrail.com
Phone: (530) 589-2601, Cell: (530) 230-8868

AZ Pro/Am Director-Paul Alpers
Email: paul@wildwestbasstrail.com

Last edited by Gary Dobyns on Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Dobyns

Re: Wild West Bass Trail Video and Dates

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks Jodie!!!! For making this a Sticky!!
bass520

Re: Wild West Bass Trail 2016 CA & AZ Dates & Trailer

Post by bass520 »

Gary,
How about a circuit in SoCal???
bryanmc

Post by bryanmc »

bass520 wrote:Gary,
How about a circuit in SoCal???
I don't live in CA anymore and I certainly can't speak for Gary, but my guess would be that your lakes in So Cal have to many restrictions, regulations and inspections to make it feasible.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

There isn't enough big water in So Cal for Pro-Am events. Diamond Valley is really the only one and it's really too small. We didn't dodge So Cal for any reason other than water size and who's to say we don't do something in the future. Plus, Grover does a good job in So Cal. But I'll never say never but some of the dumb restrictions down in So Cal would make things difficult. We are hoping that some of SO Cal with travel either North up here or probably south to AZ to start with. THX!!
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Hi Gary, Bill Roberts and Pete Krause from Washington here.
Are you doing only a Thursday & Friday prefish? That along ways to go for only two days.

Also is the Team events going to be off limits too?

Thanks buddy!

Bill and Pete
Sponsors:
Skeeter Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Nixon's Marine, Yakima Bait Co.
Abu Garcia
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Hi Bill and please yell at Pete for me. I afraid you are correct. There will be 2 practice days only. This is addressing a big problem that has severely hurt our circuits. Also, of all the changes we've made this one is by far the most excepted by our anglers. I agree it's a long trip for you guys, but on the plus side. You'd have the same amount of practice time as everyone else. Hope to see you guys!!! I know some of our guys would just as soon you and Pete didn't show up. Been a LOT of checks home with you guys!!!!
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thanks Gary! We'll be seeing at some of them I'm sure.

Bill
Sponsors:
Abu Garcia
Ranger 212

Post by Ranger 212 »

Gary,

Can you expand on the off limits period for the Team/Pro-Am events. I live down in Ventura and I'm considering fishing the California circuit .

Thanks,

Jon Harwood

P.s. By the way Very Impressive Trailer, Nicely Done!
kmah

Post by kmah »

Teams 5 days off limits m-f prior to the event. Show up and fish on Saturday.

Pro/Ams 10 days off limits prior to the first practice day. As long as there are no changes to the current scheduled using Shasta as an example. Official practice 28&29, event days 30&31. 10 days prior to the first practice day is 18-27th.

Off limits is one of the best ways to "even" out the playing field. It reduces time off work, travel expenses, and pressure. No matter if you live 10 minutes or 10 hours from the venue, everyone gets the same amount of practice time, 2 days.

100% payback @the ramp, television, and we get back to winning boats for championships. If we anglers blow the top off this for the first year and then subsequent years, who knows they may be able to get boats at every event again.

We have to show our support with our participation. Nothing talks louder to advertisers then where you choose to spend your money.

Hope this helps.

K. Mah
Ranger 212

Post by Ranger 212 »

Ken,

Thank you for taking the time to break it down. I'm looking forward to these events.

Regards,

Jon
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Ken & Gary,
Any chance you could do a Thursday, Friday PREFISH on the team events.
It would make it a lot better for we travelers?

Thank you,

Bill
Sponsors:
Abu Garcia
kmah

Post by kmah »

There is an advisory board meeting next week. This can be discussed, but as Gary has mentioned either here or on wild west facebook, the off limits periods have been the most widely accepted part of the format.

But all items can and will be discussed via the advisory board.

I in no way want to represent that I have anything to do with the business aspects of Wild West Bass trail. I was asked to be on the advisory board. I just want this to succeed because we need a platform in the west that allows us to promote ourselves.
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Thank you for at least bringing to the meeting. We want to come down from Washington
for the team events. We can't come down with zero PREFISH days.

Respectfully;

Bill
Sponsors:
Abu Garcia
AndrewMartinBass

Post by AndrewMartinBass »

I agree with having a practice day for the teams. Maybe just a one day practice. Even just coming from Reno, I've got a 3-4 hour drive to almost any lake. One day of practice allows for one drive down, as opposed to trying to prefish the weekend before and having two trips to the lake.
ANDREW SCHADEGG
Managing Editor - http://www.fishhound.com
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Andrew and Bill, I know and understand your thoughts on the Team off-limits. But, this off-limits worked great for 15-20 years and the events were huge. It's a problem coming from WA but hey there's nothing wrong with a few fun days on Bullards Bar or Clear Lake and then fishing a one day event with off-limits period. Andrew, it's not much difference for you in Reno. Many of the waters are no farther for you than many other guys. This is a different concept and you've not been fishing long enough to know the old and better days. The off-limits have been hugely accepted. For every guy that wants a practice day, 10 don't. This makes it doable for the guys that have to work all week, If you think about it, how many good fish do you stick in practice? A one day event with no practice prior is not a big deal. You still know the weather, time of year, have a great idea on water clarity, and know the seasonal patterns before you ever hit the water.

One year, West Coast Bass ran a draw circuit ( what we had before Pro-ams ) and never had a practice day. It was show up and fish. It was awesome, lots of unpressured fish.

This is not a new concept and "jackpotters " are killing our sport. This way the "jackpotters" have the same amount of time on the water. This is also not a western problem. It's across the country. Some circuits have cut limits to 3 fish to make it more of a "big bite luck tournament ". Still others are doing No practice .

Talking strictly west here. Anyone that likes 10, 20,or a BIG event with 30 boats in team tournaments and thinks this is a good deal..... Never saw the old days of 150+ teams at every event and many in 180's and 190's. I can still remember one Sac Valley Event at Clear Lake that had 168 boats and everyone was talking about the low turnout. It was a tough event and that was blamed for poor turnout. Can you believe it ? All true !!!

We need some changes here in the west and we're trying to do it with Wild West Bass.

I know this sounds like a lecture and I don't mean it to. I'm just pointing out things and some of the reasons. Also, Andrew we both know each other well enough to say anything that crosses our minds :D Now since you have so much free time for pre-fishing ...I'd like to have you're sorry A$$ at the advisory Board meeting in Sac on Thursday. How about it. YES, I'm applying pressure and sending you a text message right now too :D :D . Bring your thoughts and questions!!
Bill Roberts

Post by Bill Roberts »

Gary, thank you for your response buddy.

Wishing you well on the circuit. Hope you see in 2016. Probably at a pro-am event.

Never could figure out why the circuits down there got so small. Remember the huge pro-ams? I hope you guys can
bring them back.

Good luck!

Bill
Sponsors:
Abu Garcia
AndrewMartinBass

Post by AndrewMartinBass »

I'm in! You can call me out in public, Gary! I'll rise to the challenge!

Just don't bring any of that Dunkin' Donuts lovin', Cowboys fan boy stuff to the meeting!! :lol: :lol:
ANDREW SCHADEGG
Managing Editor - http://www.fishhound.com
Colebass

Lots of chatter

Post by Colebass »

I've been hearing from some guys the last few days talking about getting back into tournaments! Exciting stuff. Working on my schedule now.
Dave Cole
reddog

Post by reddog »

Gary,
I'm not in the class to fish these upper events yet but I like the ideas I've seen so far sounds like a blast and I totally agree with Ken that we need to start supporting and showing a more unified front as anglers out here in the west to get back to the "old days" of great sponsor participation. As a side note if you want to Ken I'll let you take me with you prefishing so you can fool me in to thinking I can compete at your level and then I'd be donating to that pot too! I am thinking I'll be trying to get squared away for the team events and those rules look pretty good to me. The only question I have is on the number of tournaments you HAVE to have both team members present for?
Thanks,
Andy
kmah

Post by kmah »

Andy, the rules are still be finalized for the Pro/Am and teams. There was nothing discussed about how many events that both anglers of a certain team needed to be present at. However take into account that it's a 7 fish limit regardless. So if an angler decided to fish alone, he/she will be taking 5 fish to the scales.

Your question is a good one though, I'll take it to the next meeting so the board can discuss and vote on it. I'd say if there's 4 events both anglers should be at 3 of the 4. However with the 7 fish limit, the board may feel differently then my 1 puny vote. :D :D :D

It's fishing and hopefully the fun will follow with WWBT. They are trying to do a lot of things innovative and different as far as formats, off limits, polygraphs for pro/ams, heck even a no net rule was discussed(I liked it) :x :x :twisted: , etc. be patient with them as with any new business its takes time for them to figure out their marketplace. They will make some mistakes and try some things that don't work. If it doesn't work just give them a little bit of time to adjust.

If people have issues, as part of the board please approach me, I have no monetary interest or risk to bring them up, and I will bring up any/all issues. What's the worse thing that happens? They kick me off the board? That's less work and same pay ...I'm fishing anyways .

Thanks for the feedback.
Respectfully
K. Mah
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks Ken. You nailed it.

All but getting kicked off the board....Free help rarely gets fired only abused :D :D We certainly appreciate the help too!! From the outside looking in setting up tournaments is easy...trust me, it's not and we can sure use help!!
reddog

Post by reddog »

Ken/Gary,
I appreciate the responses. All is well and as I've mentioned before I know Gary and the crew will do a great job. Also I wasn't joking I am willing to help however I can if needed. Extra boat/platform to run around the lake and get photos, etc., (when I'm not fishing them), whatever. I know from speaking with and interacting with the BBT crew that there is WAY more to putting on these events than we see as anglers.
Towin_Bass

Post by Towin_Bass »

Hey Guys,

I was just curious if any rules have been posted for the team events yet? As far as qualifying for the TOC, and if any contingencies have been added. maybe a time line when people will be able to register, how much are membership fees etc. . I'm really looking forward to this trail hope we can get those huge fields back and so the East can see what the West can really do.

thanks for any info
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Thanks for the questions. The rules were written and then we had two advisory board meeting ( AZ & CA ) so some things are being addressed. We are not taking entries yet but getting things done to do so in near future. We do have some contingencies in place but many more to take care of. It takes time to work out details and arrange meetings. Membership fees are in the works. The advisory board recommended Polygraph tests at all events. So we are going to work this into membership fees as they requested. We are still working with our advisory boards on TOC details. Mainly, what it takes to qualify and % of field to qualify. I will say this about teams. There will be a Mon-Friday off-limits. There will be a boat at both team Championships. The team limit will be 7 fish. It's time to start fishing teams again with two partners and stop these one angler team fishermen. You may certainly fish by yourself, you will weigh 5 fish to every teams 7 fish limit, if you choose to do so. What we are doing with teams is really simple. We are going back to the old days that worked. No practice days preceding the Mon-Friday prior, fishing only once per body of water, 7 fish to encourage "team" participation, boats at the TOC ( 2 day event ) and paying anglers back 100% of their entry fee money. It worked this way for many years and be honest guys, what team fishing is today does not really work. A BIG event is 30 boats and many don't come close to this number. Asking guys to travel to build numbers in the events is nothing new. We're willing to try some things differently. I believe these ideas will work....but we must see. If I missed part of your question it was not intentional.
Towin_Bass

Post by Towin_Bass »

Thanks for the reply you pretty much covered it. My teammate and I are in, I really enjoy the 7 fish rule it's good one and makes the team event's a real team event.(only sometimes it's not that good for us....lol) .
norcalracer

Post by norcalracer »

How does the Pro Am work? Show up with a pro and a am. Or is it a draw where you do not no who your fishing with? Thanks
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

@Norcal Racer

Pro/Am is a draw
Teams events - you pick your partner
Mike Phua

Post by Mike Phua »

Gary any thoughts of rescheduling the Havasu date? Its on top of the Los Angeles Boat Show and the Fred Hall show Set weekend in Long Beach?