Rain Gear Question

Colebass

Rain Gear Question

Post by Colebass »

Looking at some new rain gear, what do you like? Simms? BassPro 100 mph? Cabbala's Guide Wear? HUK?

I'd love to hear feedback although most of us in California haven't fishing in the rain in some time...:-)
Dave Cole
tankyota

Re: Rain Gear Question

Post by tankyota »

Can't beat Cabelas Guide wear for the price. Number one rule on rain gear is don't go cheap. Simms is great, but CGW has kept me dry in huge rains that lasted all day.
All the rest I've ever worn eventually let water in, and that's the end of any fun for that day!
Levy

Post by Levy »

+ 1 on the guide wear. Reasonably priced and I have been warm and dry for over 5 years now. One of my best purchases as it related to fishing gear.
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

Personally at 6'3" I have a hard time finding anything that provides proper coverage while sitting. I did manage to find some West Marine brand bibs and a jacket and they work great. I think the rain gear marketed towards the sailing community is far superior to any marketed to anglers. I would look into the West Marine branded rain gear if you want to save some money or go for something like Gill.
reddog

Post by reddog »

i own the BPS 100 mph gear and while it functions just fine and I stayed dry in the 1 rain stormy day we had last year my only complaint is that its bulky feeling. I dont think you can beat the Simms or Huk gear but I recently had a chance to check out the StormR gear that a friend of mine uses and Ive got to say its really nice. It is designed for serious weather so I imagine a lite rain would be odd because I could see it being hot.
BSmith

Post by BSmith »

Stormr Strykr Series.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

tankyota wrote:Can't beat Cabelas Guide wear for the price. Number one rule on rain gear is don't go cheap. Simms is great, but CGW has kept me dry in huge rains that lasted all day.
All the rest I've ever worn eventually let water in, and that's the end of any fun for that day!
How do you keep it waterproof?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Keith Rakoncza

Post by Keith Rakoncza »

I have had BPS 100MPH rain gear and Cabelas Guidewear. Cabelas out performs the BPS and the BPS is falling apart already. Quality on Cabelas is higher. I have had my Cabelas Guidwear for over 8 year and I am hard on them and spend a lot of time on the water wearing them. Stitched the tears back together and they are still working great and keeping me dry!
bassinbillmc

Post by bassinbillmc »

Never used the BPS ones cause my Cabelas Guidewear has been phenomenal. You don't need the insulated ones, just layers when it's real cold.

They've been bomb proof and kept me completely dry.
ILW

Post by ILW »

I had BPS 100 mph zippers were always a problem right from the begging
stuck or coming off the zipper track or plain old braking
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I just picked up a HUK Jacket. Its a nice light jacket for on and off sprinkles and chilly mornings, however its is NO WHERE near the quality of a Guide Wear , 100 MPH, or SIMs Jacket. In a steady rain, you will be soaked after 60 minutes of fishing.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
tfranceschi

Post by tfranceschi »

Simms!!! It's worth every penny. Will outlast any other rain gear that is out there and is extremely comfortable to fish in.
Tony Franceschi
jeff bradshaw

Post by jeff bradshaw »

I assume you mean for bass fishing in a bassboat, but here is what I wear in various fishing environments for what its worth.

Bass fishing in my boat during warmer rainy weather I wear frog toggs that I generally just keep in the boat. Cold rainy weather Cabelas guide series pants and jacket.

When fly fishing for trout its generally not too cold when I go but it may rain, I wear Simms Hyalite Rain Shell over my Simms waders. The Fly Shop in Redding has these.

When I salmon fish in Oregon or Alaska in moderate to cold rainy weather I wear Simms Hyalite Rain Shell or Cabelas gortext rain shell and simms waders and layer as needed, for cold weather and heavy rain in Alaska I actually wear a Grundens Commercial fisherman rain jacket and Simms waders. I've waded the Situk river in September during absoloute downpours and gusty winds and stayed warm and dry all day with the Grudens jacket.
DanF

Post by DanF »

I highly recommend Columbia Outfitters PFG Omni Gale Warning Bibs & Parka. I've had the BPS 100 MPH set and this gear isn't as bulky - but just as dry, sturdy, and warm. My friends who are charter captains on Lake Erie turned me on to this stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough.