Time for new batteries.what do you think ?

McLovin

Time for new batteries.what do you think ?

Post by McLovin »

I am running the new ulterra trolling motor. It seems to run my Trojan group 27s down much more than my terrova did. I am going to move up to group 31s. Hopefully this will help. I am tired of adding water all the time so I am thinking of going with the optima D31Ms or the sears die hard PM1s. Anyone have experience with these. If anyone knows were to get a good price on either of these, please let me know. I need three and there crazy expensive. Thanks

Jesse ochoa
Last edited by McLovin on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigmouth

Re: Time for new batteries.what do you think ?

Post by Bigmouth »

I have the Sears PM1's and a 80# Ulterra. Fish the Delta with the winds/tides and rarely go below 50% for 5-6 hours of fishing.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Are you running group 27s or 31s. Mine is a 112 ulterra on a 21' triton. Powered by Trojan grp 27s and at the end of the day my motor struggles to come out of the water and I have to help it or it will stop half way up and beep. I mostly fish the delta.

Jesse ochoa
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

Hey Jesse,
I've been using Optima Blue tops for about 5 years now and love them! No maintenance.. It's really nice to not have to add water.. 100% sealed, fast charge times, long running time.. I have a 101 minnkota and there have been days that I have fished multiple days on the Delta in the weeds, wind and current and had plenty of power over 2 days without charging them. I had a boat slip at beacon and all power was being used.. Fished all day Friday for practice and all day Saturday for the event and did not have a problem. I know several guys that run the Blue tops as well and all are happy with them.
Yes, they are indeed expensive but for maintenanc free, fast charge times, long lasting power... They are worth the consideration for sure. I've used die hard, Walmart brand, Trojans and Optimas and the Optimas are by far are the best I've ever used..
You can search the web and sometimes find a little discount, but they are still gonna cost for the 31's, which I run.

I'll let you know if I can find you a deal somewhere. Chatted with Alex about it today as well..

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Amazon has optima blue tops for $218 but if I have problems with one I am not sure how I would get it replaced. I am reading good reviews on the die hard platinum but there $309 a piece. Dam this is a expensive sport.
Newbassfisherman

Post by Newbassfisherman »

I just bought an https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F ... UTF8&psc=1

From amazon to replace my 3 year old optima. So far so good. My understanding it's a copy of the Sears pm1 which Sears no longer carries.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I was looking the EXIDE site and it looks like the Exide nautilus marine deep cycle is the one designed for trolling motors. I can't find any reviews on that battery
drew

Post by drew »

There are only 3-4 battery manufactures. The labels change but the product is the same. The three main are Johnson controls, East Penn and Northstar.

Optima is a Johnson Controls product but they are unique because of the spiral design. Do not pick a battery by its group size. You need to compare the output. Can't compare a group 31 Optima to a Diehard PM1 (Northstar 31) since the PM1 has a much higher output. It also weighs more.
McLovin wrote:I am running the new ulterra trolling motor. It seems to run my Trojan group 27s down much more than my terrova did. I am going to move up to group 31s. Hopefully this will help. I am tired of adding water all the time so I am thinking of going with the optima D31Ms or the sears die hard PM1s. Anyone have experience with these. If anyone knows were to get a good price on either of these, please let me know. I need three and there crazy expensive. Thanks

Jesse ochoa
K_Lincomfelt

Post by K_Lincomfelt »

We have die hard platinum's powering our ranger and I love them. No maintenance high quality but they are expensive. Warranty is 3 years I believe I've swapped one out before no questions asked at Sears. If I were buying all new I would definitely buy these again.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Costco sells deep cycle batteries. Check them out.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/SCS22512V.aspx

I don't know where you can find a stronger battery

http://www.trojanbattery.com/hydrolink-watering-system/

and while you're at it check out these
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Thank you guys for your reply's and pm's. So here's where I am at. No costco batteries for me, they don't last. The blue top optima's are out. I have read a lot of customers say the quality has gone down in the past few year's. one battery place I talked to said they stopped carrying them because since they moved the factory to mexico the quality has fallen way off. And I can't support a company moving an American plant to mexico. I was really leaning towards the die hard platinum pm1 but was just told by sears that they have discontinued the platinum line of batteries. So now I think I am going to buy the DECKA AGM 31. Anyone have these and care to comment. Thanks again
drew

Post by drew »

I have a East Penn Deka regular wet cell group 27 and it has been good. The house deep cycle marine batteries at CarQuest and Orielly's are made by East Penn and are the exact same batteries as the Deka's. You can buy the PM1 equivalent different label same battery from Odyssy, Cables pure lead, Northstar, Energizer and Drakon to name a few.
McLovin wrote:Thank you guys for your reply's and pm's. So here's where I am at. No costco batteries for me, they don't last. The blue top optima's are out. I have read a lot of customers say the quality has gone down in the past few year's. one battery place I talked to said they stopped carrying them because since they moved the factory to mexico the quality has fallen way off. And I can't support a company moving an American plant to mexico. I was really leaning towards the die hard platinum pm1 but was just told by sears that they have discontinued the platinum line of batteries. So now I think I am going to buy the DECKA AGM 31. Anyone have these and care to comment. Thanks again
Last edited by drew on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish Trap

Post by Fish Trap »

Not sure what the problem is with the Trojans. I have run these for a while (5 years and replaced my first set after 3 years) and they have been awesome batteries. They are made to charge and discharge and are not comparable to a house battery that starts the motor and is not drained out like trolling batteries. I have run other batteries and these have held up great. Trojan SC200. My average fishing day is at least 10 hours long or more, unless a tournament restricts me to fish less, with a 101 fortrex and a Z21, and I am a fisherman that is always on the TM. Never had a problem and never ran out of power. I can tell you that I have had problems with the Deka's although they got great reviews on BBC and Interstates. Both, were house batteries and both were replaced with the Sears Paltnum 31 that they no longer make for the house battery. No problem with the Sears as of yet.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

My boat originally came with Trojans and they lasted over 3years, so I replaced them with the same one's and have never been able to get more than two years out of them since. I am also tiered of having to add water all the time. Being that I am an a wheelchair it is a real pain to put water in them. I have to pay people to help me with the batteries, so I want some maintenance free batteries.
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

I would seriously consider Odyssey batteries. They are the only battery with a 4 year warranty and made with new lead. They have more CCA and reserve than any AGM battery on the market. They are well known in many other industries and growing support for bass fishing.

I have been using them for many years...and yes I am sponsored, but they are a great battery. If you are interested, I can provide you with a discount code to purchase the batteries. I run the PC2150s.
Last edited by scottsweet on Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Hey Scott can I charge those with a regular old duel pro 4bank charger. If so can you pm that discount info. I am interested in these. Thanks or you can call me 209-740-3228 jesse